Common core math problems ..

Question 1:
Let x be number of cups of food Rusty eats.

Answer: Midnight eats |4 - x| more or fewer cups of food than does Rusty.​

Question 2:
Let x be the quantity of coins Erica bought.
Given/premise: Erica had 6 coins when she went to the coin show.
Assumption: Erica did not sell any of her coins.

Answer: Erica now has 6 + x coins.
Why did I use absolute value for the first equation and not for the second? Simply to illustrate a different way of handling the answer to the problem.

The fact that the questions, as illustrated, do not provide enough information to yield a numeric answer does not mean there is no way to answer the questions.
They don't introduce variables in 1st grade, which is why I gave the answer I did.
Question 1:

Question 2:

Why did I use absolute value for the first equation and not for the second? Simply to illustrate a different way of handling the answer to the problem.

The fact that the questions, as illustrated, do not provide enough information to yield a numeric answer does not mean there is no way to answer the questions.
They don't introduce variables in 1st grade, which is why I gave the answer I did.
Among the other lies in the OP, I doubt if that is a first grade problem

Probably third grade
I doubt if that is a first grade problem

That notion crossed my mind too; however, I'm willing to take the OP-er at his word that it is indeed a question that appears on a first grade test. I am because I have neither the will nor a way to soundly or cogently show otherwise.

The OP is rightwing propaganda attempting to discredit common core

It intentionally withheld information from previous questions that was needed to answer the problem

I doubt if a first grader has the verbal or math skills to do these problems. If they do, then common core is very, very impressive
withheld information

It also crossed my mind that there might be information elsewhere in the test and that students are instructed to use in answering the questions shown. Similarly to what I implied before, I didn't raise that possibility because I had nowhere I could take it, and no way to strongly/cogently defend its probability of being so, after having introduced it. There's just not much point -- discursively, strategically, etc. -- to publicly raising doubt when one knows one has no strong/case to support the basis for there being doubt and one knows one isn't about to put any effort into developing a strong case to that effect.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Still no answer to these simple problems?

Show the whole test and we can talk

You providing partial information and then saying....aha...you can't answer.... is deceptive
Here are some sample Common Core exam questions for first graders.
It's clear that Common Core testing does use the "refer to the following to answer questions...." approach to presenting questions. It is also clear that the nature and extent to which one might adeptly handle quantitative/analytical uncertainty does not appear to be among the skills on which first graders are, in Common Core math tests, evaluated.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

I don’t know if anyone’s answered as I’m not interested in reading through this thread, but those questions expect two answers. That’s why there are two lines for the answers. In both cases, you can make up a number to achieve the answer. As long as the numbers add up, the answer is correct. Your second example even has an answer written in already.

An acceptable answer to the first one is 1. Rusty eats 3 cups per day.

An acceptable answer to the second one is 12/6. She has 12 coins total because she bought 6.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

You providing partial information and then saying....aha...you can't answer.... is deceptive

Looking again at the "coin" question pictured in the OP, it's clear that the the child got "11" and "5" from somewhere other than the specific question pictured. In light of that taken with the content I linked in post 242, unlike my prior stance of noncommittal, I'm now inclined to agree with your assessment that there is information given in the test and that the OP-er has not shared with us.

Last edited:
Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Looking again at the "coin" question pictured in the OP, it's clear that the the child got "11" and "5" from somewhere other than the specific question pictured. In light of that, unlike my prior stance of noncommittal, I'm now inclined to agree with your assessment that there information given in the test and that the OP-er has not shared with us.
I don’t think there’s more to the question. These questions are designed to inspire kids to not only find the solution to simple math problems, but to also find solutions to more abstract problems.

Probably third grade

Looking again at the "coin" question pictured in the OP, it's clear that the the child got "11" and "5" from somewhere other than the specific question pictured. In light of that, unlike my prior stance of noncommittal, I'm now inclined to agree with your assessment that there information given in the test and that the OP-er has not shared with us.
I don’t think there’s more to the question. These questions are designed to inspire kids to not only find the solution to simple math problems, but to also find solutions to more abstract problems.
That does remain as a possibility; however, it strains credulity (mine anyway) to think the section/question instructions, in essence, tell kids to make up a number and use it in solving the problem. (see post 242)

OT:
I don't know that I've ever come across a test (of the sort we're discussing) designed to inspire anything. AFAIK, tests like the Common Core math tests are just that, tests, tools for measuring, not tools for inspiring anything.​

Last edited:

Probably third grade

Then why don't they have a separate course? Leave math alone and if they want to do voodoo reading problems "to make kids feel good" about giving wrong answers ...make it stand on its own?

I can see a new common core math question being devised as we speak the answer is:

Avalanche

What is 2 snowflakes x 3 million snowflakes?

Probably third grade

That does remain as a possibility; however, it strains credulity (mine anyway) to think the section/question instructions, in essence, tell kids to make up a number and use it in solving the problem. (see post 242)

OT:
I don't know that I've ever come across a test (of the sort we're discussing) designed to inspire anything. AFAIK, tests like the Common Core math tests are just that, tests, tools for measuring, not tools for inspiring anything.​
That does remain as a possibility
OT:
One thing I'm confident nobody tests among first graders is the nature and extent of their ability to understand the notion that just because one or several folks can conceive of elements of doubt about a given matter, the mere utterance of those doubts does not at all give credence to or boost their plausibility or probability.​

Probably third grade

Then why don't they have a separate course? Leave math alone and if they want to do voodoo reading problems "to make kids feel good" about giving wrong answers ...make it stand on its own?

I was in third grade over 50 years ago

We were given something called "new math" that was different than traditional arithmetic
Parents were outraged because that was not the way they learned
Where was the rote memorization like in the old days?

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

I don’t know if anyone’s answered as I’m not interested in reading through this thread, but those questions expect two answers. That’s why there are two lines for the answers. In both cases, you can make up a number to achieve the answer. As long as the numbers add up, the answer is correct. Your second example even has an answer written in already.

An acceptable answer to the second one is 12/6. She has 12 coins total because she bought 6.

Say what ? She goes to a coin show and now has 12 coins, how is that possible? Did she buy a 1958 penny that cost 6 coins? (As an example) that means she would only have one coin

p9Xelau.jpg

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

Say what ? She goes to a coin show and now has 12 coins, how is that possible? Did she buy a 1958 penny that cost 6 coins? (As an example) that means she would only have one coin

View attachment 172890

She went to a coin show not the currency exchange.

Probably third grade

Seperate course for what? It’s math and belongs in a math workbook. What’s the real problem here? You have a six-year-old grandchild that’s making you look like an idiot? I wouldn’t be surprised, All six-year-olds do that to you.

Probably third grade

View attachment 172890

What was the value of her coins? Did she have 6 pennys? 6 dimes?, 6 nickels? Six quarters? Six half dollars?, six Susan B. Anthony dollars?

Did she have 6 flowing half dollar worth 17 grand a piece?

b614c959-faa9-4248-bb3e-367f4a274e86_1.beef77dfce5dcf85c46f6ec3b1c87b39.jpeg

Seperate course for what? It’s math and belongs in a math workbook. What’s the real problem here? You have a six-year-old grandchild that’s making you look like an idiot? I wouldn’t be surprised, All six-year-olds do that to you.

It doesn't teach arthimitic.

It doesn't teach kids how to think but what to think.

Common-Core-this-is-math.jpg

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Probably third grade

View attachment 172890
LOLOL

Even six-year-olds are too smart for you, huh? It doesn’t ask how much the coins are worth. It just asks for how many coins she bought. If she started with six coins, and she bought six more coins, she now has 12 coins. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

<smh>

It doesn't teach arthimitic.

It doesn't teach kids how to think but what to think.

View attachment 172894
Moron, it tests an individual’s knowledge of math. That lesson would already have been taught. I don’t think you’re even a smart as a three-year-old as even common sense evades you.

I was in third grade over 50 years ago

We were given something called "new math" that was different than traditional arithmetic
Parents were outraged because that was not the way they learned

In my day and for math, it was multiplication drills/tables. Somehow, I can still in my mind "hear" the piano notes and rhythm that accompanied them.

Da, da da, da da...Da, da da, da da....

Then he'd signal a "key change" on the piano and we had to recognize whether the key shifted higher or lower on the scale and accordingly shift to whatever series was above or below the one we'd just completed. So if we began the drill with "sixes," a "key change" up one level told us to go to "sevens" whereas down one called for "fives."

And no, I/we didn't know at the time that what he was playing to cue us were "key changes" or weren't. We just heard a single note (one key change), a pair of notes (shifting two keys), etc. In any case, multiplication drills were a lot of fun, especially when he'd holler for one of us to come up and choose the next "key change." Little was more fun that getting to pound out a three or four note "key change," or, once we'd learned to play the basic melody, do so while the teacher played all sorts of fun harmonies on the end of the keyboard.

(See: Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid)​

Probably third grade

View attachment 172890

What was the value of her coins? Did she have 6 pennys? 6 dimes?, 6 nickels? Six quarters? Six half dollars?, six Susan B. Anthony dollars?

Did she have 6 flowing half dollar worth 17 grand a piece?

View attachment 172893
LOL

You’re so fucking deranged. The value of the coins is not part of the equation. Only the quantity is. A six-year-old can grasp that concept but you can’t.

:lmao:

Probably third grade

View attachment 172890
LOLOL

Even six-year-olds are too smart for you, huh? It doesn’t ask how much the coins are worth. It just asks for how many coins she bought. If she started with six coins, and she bought six more coins, she now has 12 coins. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

<smh>

So you telling me I can go to a coin show with 6 coins in my pocket and double it?

Lmfao...

I got to stop going to casinos and stop playing the lottery..

I will just go to coin shows with a 6 grand in my pocket and leave with 12 grand

You stupid.

Forum List

Back