Common Core is Nothing But Liberal Indoctrination

A great way to think what?
The constitution of course. If you're going to change a document such as the constitution, you have to understand what you're changing and what the ramifications of those changes will be on society. Kids read the constitution in order to answer a few test question without really understanding what it means and the far reaching impact it has on society.

I'm surprised to hear Government is still taught in schools. It was a required subject, separate from history, when I went to school. If one really studied the US Constitution along with all the other documents of the founding fathers, why the hell would they want to change something that's worked perfectly well for over 200 years ... until, of course, those who have already tampered with it have done much to degrade and dilute the Constitution much to the detriment of society in general.

America was at one time the greatest nation the world has ever known. Today it's not so far away from being a third rate mess. Best the Constitution be left alone and interpreted the way it was intended.

Um....amendments?

Common Core was supposed to solve the problem for kids that move from one state to another and are either too far behind or too far ahead from the other kids in the same grade. Some poor kid from Mississippi would transfer to Arizona and find themselves a year or two behind. Nice idea in theory. This is a lot of corporatist crap that in some areas was just not well thought out.

I would need to know a little bit more about the assignment before I can comment on it. The kid might have to present a researched argument for discarding an amendment.
I think your post is the first halfway intelligent post I have read in this thread. The assignment has nothing at all to do with Common Core. Common Core creates standards in mathematics and English for grades K-12, not classroom assignments. For example, their Kindergarten Reading Standards in Phonics and Word Recognition reads as follows:

3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
  • a. Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
  • b. Associate the long and short sounds with common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
  • c. Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
  • d. Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ.

There are only three reference to the constitution in the standards. It appears in the
Reading & Writing Standards for Informational Text 6–12, Integration of Knowledge and Ideas.
It reads:

Delineate and evaluate the reasoning in seminal U.S. texts, including the
application of constitutional principles and use of legal reasoning (e.g., in U.S.
Supreme Court majority opinions and dissents) and the premises, purposes,
and arguments in works of public advocacy (e.g., The Federalist, presidential
addresses).

Analyze seventeenth-, eighteenth-, and nineteenth-century foundation U.S.
documents of historical and literary significance (including The Declaration of
Independence, the Preamble to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and Lincoln’s
Second Inaugural Address) for their themes, purposes, and rhetorical features.

Apply grades 11–12 Reading standards to literary nonfiction (e.g., “Delineate
and evaluate the reasoning in seminal U.S. texts, including the application
of constitutional principles and use of legal reasoning [e.g., in U.S. Supreme
Court Case majority opinions and dissents] and the premises, purposes, and
arguments in works of public advocacy [e.g., The Federalist, presidential
addresses]”).

There is certainly controversy over common core but it's not centered around either liberal or conservative issues but rather the idea of a one size fits all curriculum and standardize testing. In many states implementation of these standards means significant changes to curriculum, standardized testing, and more work for students and teachers.

Despite the problems, these standards have been adopted by 45 out of 50 states, with only Virginia, Texas, Alaska and Nebraska as non-participants and Minnesota adopting only the English Language Arts standards.

There is no doubt that these standards if they find their way into the classroom, will raise the raise the bar for both students and teachers and will make it easier for students to make the transition from high school to college. However, implementing these standards is a big task and it may well disappear into state DOE's as has many other major projects have.

Understanding "Common Core": Standards and Backlash - Ballotpedia

http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_ELA Standards.pdf

The constitution of course. If you're going to change a document such as the constitution, you have to understand what you're changing and what the ramifications of those changes will be on society. Kids read the constitution in order to answer a few test question without really understanding what it means and the far reaching impact it has on society.

I'm surprised to hear Government is still taught in schools. It was a required subject, separate from history, when I went to school. If one really studied the US Constitution along with all the other documents of the founding fathers, why the hell would they want to change something that's worked perfectly well for over 200 years ... until, of course, those who have already tampered with it have done much to degrade and dilute the Constitution much to the detriment of society in general.

America was at one time the greatest nation the world has ever known. Today it's not so far away from being a third rate mess. Best the Constitution be left alone and interpreted the way it was intended.

Um....amendments?

I have to snicker hard when I hear about how rigid the Constitution should be........that is what makes our form of federal govt. last longer than other nations, a flexible instrument of governance...

At my son's school they pass out Bibles, real communism....

That completely baffles me.

Well, you have risen a step in my estimation.

each district and state can set the standards of the schools. the only change would be things like the No Child Left Behind legislation passed by Bush...
States are under no obligation to accept Common Core standards. Some state standards will exceed common core and others will be lower, however 45 of the 50 states have adopted them. It will be interesting to see what real changes occurs.

We finally are starting to get a new picture of conservatives and education. It isn't the states taking over education with common core that frightens them, but rather improving education itself that conservatives object to. With 45 states agreeing on a concept to improve schools that means their war must go beyond teacher unions, money, federal control etc. and now conservatives must change their tactics and attack states that are working work to improve schools.
I think what bothers conservatives most might be the critical thinking part kids might pick up along the way, that is indeed scary.

We finally are starting to get a new picture of conservatives and education. It isn't the states taking over education with common core that frightens them, but rather improving education itself that conservatives object to. With 45 states agreeing on a concept to improve schools that means their war must go beyond teacher unions, money, federal control etc. and now conservatives must change their tactics and attack states that are working work to improve schools.
I think what bothers conservatives most might be the critical thinking part kids might pick up along the way, that is indeed scary.
Also, standardization of education or most anything else sounds like a communist plot to many conservatives.

They don't know what they want. If they don't like the common core then come up with a set of standards to look at. I would gladly look at them. The cry for more accountability is loudest by those who have zero clue on what needs to be done. Just more rhetoric because for whatever reason they don't want to pay for public education... even the public schools that are doing very well like the one my kids attended. For some insane reason they see a teacher making $40 grand per year as some kind of evil being.

They don't know what they want. If they don't like the common core then come up with a set of standards to look at. I would gladly look at them. The cry for more accountability is loudest by those who have zero clue on what needs to be done. Just more rhetoric because for whatever reason they don't want to pay for public education... even the public schools that are doing very well like the one my kids attended. For some insane reason they see a teacher making $40 grand per year as some kind of evil being.
That's pretty common with most conservative issues. They don't like what's happening but have no realistic proposal.
Education - Abolish public schools and let parents decide how kids should be educated.
Illegal Immigration - Build a wall around the country and deport all illegal immigrants.
Healthcare - Scrap Obamacare, Medicare, Medicaid, and replace it with nothing
Federal Spending - Get rid of most of the federal government
Environment - Abolish the EPA and let corporate America protect it
Poverty - Abolish social services and the progressive income tax and that will give the poor an incentive to make more money.

Of course none of this will ever make it into law, however conservatives politicians are sent to Washington with unrealistic mandates like this which guarantees they will accomplish nothing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back