Colossus/Trump: Dream Team

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The American comic book superhero Colossus (Marvel Comics) is a super-strong defender and symbolizes pure control of strength and virtue.

How do we correlate strength/might with 'mercantile intellectualism' in a consumerism/capitalism culture (e.g., America)? How do we define the 'claustrophobia contours' of our capitalism-subjective 'TrumpUSA'?

Does President Trump prefer an avatar such as Colossus (when discussing 'American might') or a fortune-sarcasm comic book avatar such as Kingpin (Marvel Comics), an omen-oracle tycoon?

I don't think there's anything wrong with generating 'TrumpUSA street chatter' before this new celebrity-prez slips into the history books with another chapter of 'lifestyle-altering politics' reminiscent of the consumerism-consciousness of our last celebrity-prez (Reaganomics). Is that a coincidence?

I'm going to use comic books to make myself feel better about America (I'm resolved)...

====

COLOSSUS: Money is strength now (e.g., steroids in professional sports).
TRUMP: The media is supposed to provide populace critiques.
COLOSSUS: The media is like weather and can manipulate the masses.
TRUMP: I really like following TV news program weathermen/women.
COLOSSUS: That's what the movie Groundhog Day is about --- a TV weatherman (under duress).
TRUMP: Are you a fan of the Oakland Raiders (NFL)?
COLOSSUS: I like football, and Raiders are moving to Vegas now (which proves my point!).
TRUMP: Well, we have to stay optimistic. Sports and business are not exclusive.
COLOSSUS: The fans do not want to think about capital when they think of coaches and teams.
TRUMP: 'Planet Starbucks' is all about the 'perks of consumerism.'
COLOSSUS: Caffeine and steroids culture spells moral sloth.
TRUMP: What if Hillary Clinton won the election and we had our first female U.S. President?
COLOSSUS: Americans are not ready for a female president.
TRUMP: So what do you mean by 'money is strength'?
COLOSSUS: Why do you think Americans make films such as Wall Street and Celebrity?
TRUMP: Americans do not want to waste time thinking about the EPA. You can say they like 'expediency.'
COLOSSUS: Industrialization-related eco-pollution will drain the vitality of human species.
TRUMP: Poverty is never ennobling.
COLOSSUS: Wealth is a synthetic.
TRUMP: We have to remain optimistic...

====

Colossus (Marvel.com)

colossus.jpg

Odd, is my best thought over that OP - but 'money is strength' and if you doubt that read 'Dark Money' by Jane Mayer.

"And yet over the course of the decade the old skepticism toward business that had been born in the Great Depression and reawakened for a new generation in the Vietnam era finally began to disappear. The economic transformations of the decade would be interpreted through the framework of the free market vision. The 1970s campaigns to revive the image of capitalism among college students bore fruit in the 1980s. Universities created new centers for the study of business themes such as entrepreneurship. Students in Free Enterprise, a group started in 1975 to bring students together to "discuss what they might do to counteract the stultifying criticism of American business," thrived on small college campuses, funded by companies like Coors, Dow Chemical, and Walmart (as well as the Business Roundtable). The group organized battles of the bands, at which prizes would be doled out to the best pro-business rock anthems, helped silkscreen T-shirts with pro-capitalist messages, and created skits based on Milton Friedman's writings, which college students would perform in local elementary schools. In the workplace, the decline of the old manufacturing cities of [he North and Midwest and the rise of the sprawling suburbs of the Sunbelt metropolises marked the rise of a new economic culture, dominated by companies such as Walmart and Home Depot and Barnes & Noble." Kim Phillips-Fein ('Invisible Hands')

Forum List

Back