College: Cost too much?

We will be paying for two next year. They have been offered no assistance because of our income. That's ok. We've saved since they were born.

What's not ok is the waste and corruption that goes on at these schools and the GD nickle and diming for extra fees, textbooks, health insurance, etc. What's not ok is using tuition and taxpayer money to pay for foreign students to attend for free. What's not ok is paying football coaches $2M a year.

And what really gets my goat is FERPA. If I am putting out $40K a year, I should have the right to monitor my investment. If they want to treat students as independent adults, then use THEIR friggin income to calculate the bill.

No taxpayer $$ goes for tuition for foreign students to go for free.
Football funds 90% of all of the athletic departments. Without it there would be few, if any, women sports. Academic domations to the univertsities from the football ticket sales exceeds 8 million a year for the top schools. I also believe their salaries are too much but the revenue generated does so much good for all sports as 80% of college sports teams in major universities lose $$. Most universities the only sports that make $$ are football and basketball. At GEorgia we have another, female gymnastics as The Gym Dogs RULE!!
The university does not pay that 2 million. 60% of that comes from radio and TV show, shoe deals and such.
Textbooks are the teachers, not the schools. Go online and you can get great deals on used books.

My oldest 2 graduated. My youngest is a freshman now.
Do not listen to the myths and fables of college funding and costs. I spent about 30K a piece on the older 2, they worked and each took out 20K in loans TOTAL.
Best investment ever. They both have jobs making over 40K a year in their mid 20s while the kids that did not go to college are making half that if that.

Depends, Gadawg. We have electricians in their 20's making 100K a year. Millwrights the same age, making 60K to 80K a year. Of course, they are doing overtime, and working odd hours, but the trades are equal to college in many fields.

You will not find a bigger supporter of the trades and training the youth for that. We NEED that.
We know many in their late 20s making over 50K working HVAC and plumbing.
Very good point and I agree 100%.
Damn right the trades are = to college. I am a professional by trade but my favorite thing in life is working with my hands on my farm. It is in my blood.
Trades built this country.

"To reach Obama’s goal, we have to decide, as a matter of public policy, whether college is a right or a privilege.”

The word “rights,” which once started out as an enumerator of what government could not do, has now become it’s reverse: the collection of positive rights. These are now a laundry list of what government must provide. At taxpayer expense of course. Otherwise the government can just print the money to pay for it. Either way, it’s “free.”

Belmont Club » By Rights

"Rights" now mean "entitlements". Very slippery slope.

Everyone is attempting to figure out a way to make some extra money in these hard economic times. For lots of people, that means returning to school. But they will need cash to pay for the application charges, whether they are applying for an undergraduate program or for a graduate degree. Many people use a payday cash advance to pay their fees, and the good thing is they can pay them back after they get their grants or loans for school. Article source: Cost of applying to college

Anything is now possible as long as we are determined to achieve what we want to achieve and we keep our hopes high.:eusa_pray:

Everyone is attempting to figure out a way to make some extra money in these hard economic times. For lots of people, that means returning to school. But they will need cash to pay for the application charges, whether they are applying for an undergraduate program or for a graduate degree. Many people use a payday cash advance to pay their fees, and the good thing is they can pay them back after they get their grants or loans for school. Article source: Cost of applying to college

Anything is now possible as long as we are determined to achieve what we want to achieve and we keep our hopes high.:eusa_pray:

How is going back to school finding a way to make extra $$$?
That costs big time extra $$$.
There are few to NO jobs out there.

Forum List

Back