Classroom brainwashing

Discussion in 'Education' started by kurtsprincess, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kurtsprincess

kurtsprincess Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thomas Sowell always seems to be able to cut right to the bone about the underlying issue.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/column/thomassowell/2006/03/14/189664.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Great article, KP.

Kids learn early on what it takes to do well in public school. My 14 year old just took our State's NCLB writing exam, and the topic was what is success in business. She told me that she made sure to write from a liberal pov, so she wouldn't harm her chance of getting a good grade. She came to this conclusion on her own.

In addition, her language arts teacher talks anti-Bush politics consistently.

3. kurtsprincess

kurtsprincess Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Good evening Abbey........thanks!

Just goes to show you that your daughter has the right kind of smarts .... how to survive. But I'm sure she is getting a balanced view from her parents.

Unfortunately, not all of our youth are able to discern the truth because they haven't had involved parents who provide a balanced view of the world. Too many parents depend on the school to "babysit" for them and are not savvy enough to understand that their children are being brainwashed.

4. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Yeah, I haven't had any encounters of that sort, though my English teacher is the head of the Gay-Straight Alliance. I always write papers on guns and generally right-wing stuff, the military's heroism, etc. Sometimes just to see what her reaction would be, look at my gun love poem in the writing section to see a sample. She accepts it pretty well, and I'mn told by fellow students I'm on her "good-list", which is good, of course.

My buddy on the other hand, has an extremely liberal US History teacher, so much that he calls the class African-American History, and complains about it alot to me.

By the way, Abbey, your daughter sounds smart, is she looking for anyone? (just kidding)

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    This is why I like the engineering school. Yeah, it's hard, but all the teachers really care about is the same kind of stuff that they teach. The last time one of my teachers got off topic, it was my Calculus 2 teacher who, with permission from the students, gave the lecture on the nature of infinity he was giving the next day at a conference instead of our scheduled lesson.

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Aawwww! Engineers! I love engineers. They're special people. My daddy was a pocket-protector-wearing, slide-rule-carrying, physics-problem-solving geek. He explained infinity to me when I was in the second grade.

Hobbit... I have a daughter. If you could just wait about 10 years, I'd love to have you meet her. ;)

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'll be 33 by then, but I'll let ya know.

Oh, and thanks to computer advancements, the pocket protector and slide rule have been changes to jazz drives and graphing calculators. Mine does 3D mapping in color and I can carry Diablo II around in my pocket if I want.

And I've already given a thought to how I'm going to mess up my kids. When they start doing area and volume, I'm going to show them how to do it using Calculus, or at least enough that they can passably explain it to their poor teachers. I know, it's evil.

8. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Hobbit, you are very cruel. That's all I'm gonna say.

And how can you carry Diablo II in your pocket??!!

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Like I said, the jazz drive. I've got a gig of space on that thing, just enough to install Diablo II.

10. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think it's beautiful.

:D