clarification needed on weird rule...

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
is this a family insult and if so why and if not why?

I hve aa personal interest in this that will go unmentioned since the gag order in still in place.

:eusa_whistle: :eusa_whistle: :eusa_whistle:

When the Supreme Court struck down Texas's law against sodomy in the summer of 2003, in the landmark gay rights case of Lawrence v. Texas, critics warned that its sweeping support of a powerful doctrine of privacy could lead to challenges of state laws that forbade such things as gay marriage and bigamy. "State laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity are ... called into question by today's decision," wrote Justice Antonin Scalia, in a withering dissent he read aloud page by page from the bench.

Should Incest Be Legal? - TIME

If you and your sister/brother want to screw around, then it is not MY problem.

By the way, what is wrong with polygamy and Beastiality? I have yet to see Mormons and Shepards go and kill people for their beliefs system....:eusa_whistle:

Not.

I'm reading that as the poster's solicited opinion.

so inferring somebody is screwing their sister is okay---not commonly viewed as an insult?

hmmmmm, opens a wide door to the proverbial slippery slope. don't you think? :eusa_whistle:

Well it's a case by case basis.

In this case that doesn't read like a personal attack.

I'm reading that as a more general statement kinda like if someone asks, "how do you feel about homosexuals?" and the response was "hey if you want to be gay that's your problem" Are you attacking that person and saying they are gay or are you merely saying that don't have a problem with people being gay? I'm going with the latter.

Not.

so inferring somebody is screwing their sister is okay---not commonly viewed as an insult?

hmmmmm, opens a wide door to the proverbial slippery slope. don't you think? :eusa_whistle:

Well it's a case by case basis.

In this case that doesn't read like a personal attack.

I'm reading that as a more general statement kinda like if someone asks, "how do you feel about homosexuals?" and the response was "hey if you want to be gay that's your problem" Are you attacking that person and saying they are gay or are you merely saying that don't have a problem with people being gay? I'm going with the latter.

thanx for the clarification. helps me lots.

d.
:cool:

Not.

The above does not constitute an inference that you and your sister are screwing around. One may infer such, but it has not been said by the speaker that one is screwing one's sister. It merely says that IF ONE CHOOSES to screw one's sister, I will not interfere.

If the speaker had said, "The fact that you are screwing your sister is no concern of mine.", then you might have a point.

If you choose to be a communist, I will not interfere. That statement does not imply that I think you are a communist.

Go...and sin no more.

is this a family insult and if so why and if not why?

I hve aa personal interest in this that will go unmentioned since the gag order in still in place.

:eusa_whistle: :eusa_whistle: :eusa_whistle:

When the Supreme Court struck down Texas's law against sodomy in the summer of 2003, in the landmark gay rights case of Lawrence v. Texas, critics warned that its sweeping support of a powerful doctrine of privacy could lead to challenges of state laws that forbade such things as gay marriage and bigamy. "State laws against bigamy, same-sex marriage, adult incest, prostitution, masturbation, adultery, fornication, bestiality, and obscenity are ... called into question by today's decision," wrote Justice Antonin Scalia, in a withering dissent he read aloud page by page from the bench.

Should Incest Be Legal? - TIME

By the way, what is wrong with polygamy and Beastiality? I have yet to see Mormons and Shepards go and kill people for their beliefs system....:eusa_whistle:

Is that anything like asking if your parents were related? :popcorn:

Not.

The above does not constitute an inference that you and your sister are screwing around. One may infer such, but it has not been said by the speaker that one is screwing one's sister. It merely says that IF ONE CHOOSES to screw one's sister, I will not interfere.

If the speaker had said, "The fact that you are screwing your sister is no concern of mine.", then you might have a point.

If you choose to be a communist, I will not interfere. That statement does not imply that I think you are a communist.

Go...and sin no more.

A rose by any other name is STILL a rose.

Go...and sin no more.

Mommy! He called me a rose!:omg:

Go...and sin no more.

Choose your battles carefully. He must like you. Usually he calls people "dumber than a red brick". :lol:

Choose your battles carefully. He must like you. Usually he calls people "dumber than a red brick". :lol:
This exchange does not constitute a battle. It merely represents friendly verbal intercourse regarding the perceived meaning of written English juxtaposed with the literal meaning of sentence structure. It can easily be extended to the question of whether someone calling you something means that is what you are.

I say there is no major flaw in my analysis of the supposed family insult. Based on analysis of the sentence presented, the "if" keeps it from being an accusation that incest has occurred. However, standing alone this sentence is out of context. Surely, there was some accompanying dialog that may have been enough to justify the reaction of being insulted.

...all of which is in support of my belief that the dumber people are, the more careful you have to be what you say to them.

Jist random thoughts...The topic was incest. References to families is part of the discussion wouldn't you say? That comment prob wouldn't be acceptable on a thread about cheese I imagine.

This exchange does not constitute a battle. It merely represents friendly verbal intercourse regarding the perceived meaning of written English juxtaposed with the literal meaning of sentence structure. It can easily be extended to the question of whether someone calling you something means that is what you are.

I say there is no major flaw in my analysis of the supposed family insult. Based on analysis of the sentence presented, the "if" keeps it from being an accusation that incest has occurred. However, standing alone this sentence is out of context. Surely, there was some accompanying dialog that may have been enough to justify the reaction of being insulted.

...all of which is in support of my belief that the dumber people are, the more careful you have to be what you say to them.

Nice prose. In layman's terms, dev as well as you know the answer. If one chooses to take exception to the insult they are going to attempt to misconstrue it as an attack on a family member.

What dev should have asked is: How close to the rule can I get before betting hammered? Far more direct and to the point.

The answer to his question would be that it depends on whether or not it is an established fact that the person being insulted indeed has a brother/sister. You want to hang your ass out in the air in front of me like that and hope it doesn't get hit with a 2 x 4, go for it.

No crying if you get whacked though.:cool:

You know, a reference to family as a static thing (you've got kids, you've got parents), or a reference to a family with the qualifier "if your kids/siblings/parents do such and such" is much different than a direct insult reference.

Your 3 kids are morons, your kids/siblings/parents are "x", or something like that is a direct attack.

But, just referencing a person's family as a LEGITIMATE part of the thread (incest), then it should be looked at as merely reference.

jmho.

Forum List

Back