City Wildlife: What Should be Done?

Thankies, Ernie. I understand and I agree.
You know I get pissed off at people who tell me that archery hunting is somehow more ethical than hunting with a rifle.
It breaks my heart to see an animal suffer and have spent hours tracking wounded game, crawling on hands and knees looking for blood drops when necessary.
I get no joy from killing deer, bear or whatever. A sense of pride, perhaps but generally, I feel a quiet reverence.

most bow hunters are lazy fucks who arent that good and will let the animal go when its too hard to find....i dont mean live...i mean their lazy fat asses track it for a few hundred feet and then give up...letting the animal suffer a long slow death....

my opinion and mine alone

most bow hunters are lazy fucks who arent that good and will let the animal go when its too hard to find....i dont mean live...i mean their lazy fat asses track it for a few hundred feet and then give up...letting the animal suffer a long slow death....

I agree. I just dont get it either.

My housing association is just crawling with deer, and it is inside the city limits of Cleveland. An area suburb considered -- then abandoned -- a plan to permit hunting with bows and arrows (I'm not clear on why this is thought to be superior; can't you kill a person with any weapon that would kill a deer?).

When wildlife encroaches on urban areas, what is the ethical response? These animals are too big to trap and relocate.

Oh I dont know.... why dont ya ask Sarah Palin. :eusa_whistle:

You are both sooooo wrong.

It takes skill to track and hunt a deer close enough to get within 20 - 30 feet from it and actually nail the shot.

Ive done it and its not easy.... of course I was too big of a puss to actually release my arrow (was just too damn pretty :tongue: ) but it was a challenge to get so close to the animal.

Oh, and the deer does'nt suffer. Many times they drop right there, and when they dont... they have to track it down. That does'nt sound like a lazy mans way to get dinner.

A rifle is the lazy mans method :eusa_whistle:

Send the deer and the coyotes to me. We are avid deer hunters here in Centrl PA. and since the coyotes will run the deer, we shot them for sport. Shooting coyotes is also an excelent way of keeping the marksmanship skills honed for deer season.

I used to work as a desk agent at a posh motel, located in the foothills amongst pine trees and a creek running behind it. We had guests from all over book there, because it stated facts...."nature at it's best". We were on the outskirts of town and had plenty of wildlife. Even a few species of birds would hop in the lobby for their daily crumbs of breakfast roll, then hop back out and go their way. We also had a female bear that would pass by in the early evenings on her way from or to her den.

So imagine my surprise when soon after being hired to work there, those who wanted "nature at it's best" would come waddling in the lobby complaining of a bear passing through and what if it came to their room to eat them? And those nasty birds! Can't we get an employee to stand outside and shoo them away from all the trees? What if bird poo gets all over their jaguars?

I can get pretty mouthy. I finally had enough and told a few guests one day that yes indeed, the bear WOULD get in to eat them because I would make sure to leave a trail of honey right to their slider door and the glass is sooooooo thin, it wouldn't stop that bear. Plus, I would set up a buffet table in the lobby for raccoons, LOTS of birds and maybe another bear or two so they could partake of the continental breakfast. Then I grabbed my purse and headed for the door.
Best thing I ever did.
Buncha snotty whiners.

Last edited:
Send the deer and the coyotes to me. We are avid deer hunters here in Centrl PA. and since the coyotes will run the deer, we shot them for sport. Shooting coyotes is also an excelent way of keeping the marksmanship skills honed for deer season.

May the fleas of a thousand coyote set up shop in your crotch and armpits.

Some parts of the country are beginning to see coyotes in urban areas. I can't imagine what else could be done except to shoot them.

I like animals as well as the next person, but Disnefying a coyote in your own yard seems nuts to me.

I used to work as a desk agent at a posh motel, located in the foothills amongst pine trees and a creek running behind it. We had guests from all over book there, because it stated facts...."nature at it's best". We were on the outskirts of town and had plenty of wildlife. Even a few species of birds would hop in the lobby for their daily crumbs of breakfast roll, then hop back out and go their way. We also had a female bear that would pass by in the early evenings on her way from or to her den.

So imagine my surprise when soon after being hired to work there, those who wanted "nature at it's best" would come waddling in the lobby complaining of a bear passing through and what if it came to their room to eat them? And those nasty birds! Can't we get an employee to stand outside and shoo them away from all the trees? What if bird poo gets all over their jaguars?

I can get pretty mouthy. I finally had enough and told a few guests one day that yes indeed, the bear WOULD get in to eat them because I would make sure to leave a trail of honey right to their slider door and the glass is sooooooo thin, it wouldn't stop that bear. Plus, I would set up a buffet table in the lobby for raccoons, LOTS of birds and maybe another bear or two so they could partake of the continental breakfast. Then I grabbed my purse and headed for the door.
Best thing I ever did.
Buncha snotty whiners.

There is a difference between going to where the wildlife live and then bitching, compared to the wildlife coming to where people live. Cleveland has been settled for some time now; I dun know why we have herds of deer inside the city limits, but they are a danger and I dun apologise for saying they need killing.

You are both sooooo wrong.

It takes skill to track and hunt a deer close enough to get within 20 - 30 feet from it and actually nail the shot.

Ive done it and its not easy.... of course I was too big of a puss to actually release my arrow (was just too damn pretty :tongue: ) but it was a challenge to get so close to the animal.

Oh, and the deer does'nt suffer. Many times they drop right there, and when they dont... they have to track it down. That does'nt sound like a lazy mans way to get dinner.

A rifle is the lazy mans method :eusa_whistle:
I've been within 20 feet of the last 2 deer I've shot. I don't find that to be that big of a challenge. My problem is with bow hunters that can't or won't track a wounded animal.
I have no illusion that all bow hunters are sadists or that all rifle hunters are saints. I simply claim that if your aim is to kill an animal, you should use the most efficient and humane method available. You seem to confuse efficient with lazy.
I will track a wounded deer for hours if necessary but would prefer not to, more for humane reasons than laziness.

There is a difference between going to where the wildlife live and then bitching, compared to the wildlife coming to where people live.

Yeah? And encroaching into their turf doesn't help either. They come inside the city to find food. Culling is good...it saves future generations of animals. That I agree with. HOW they are culled is entirely another topic.

Bowhunting is the best answer.

Poison will render the meat useless.

If they try to trap them, they'll have to put most of them down anyway. Trapping deer never goes well, unless you're right there to release or gut them when they become trapped.

Bow is where it should wind up, with the meat going to shelters. It is the safest, most effective solution in that scenario.

I'm assuming the homeowners are more concerned with their lawns than they are the deer, and aren't willing to just let the deer be deer.

The deer do quite a bit of damage to landscaping, yes, but they are traffic hazards and can be aggressive to humans on foot.

Why is hunting them with bows more ethical than shooting them?
It's not an ethical question. It's about risk to people in an urban setting. If an arrow misses it's target, it falls harmlessly to the ground in a hundred yards or so. A bullet from a high powered rifle can penetrate the wall of a home a half mile away and still kill a person.
I would turn loose some experienced hunters with shotguns loaded with rifled slugs. Clean kill at up to 80 yards or so and pretty harmless after 200 yards.
Bow and arrow, while safer for people in populated areas is an inefficient method of killing deer. Probably 50% of deer hit with arrows don't die quickly, many succumbing to infections days or weeks later.
From a standpoint of a warped sense of sportsmanship, a deer does stand a better chance against a hunter armed with a bow, but my hunting ethic demands a clean kill so that the animal suffers as little as possible.
About 15 years ago I was forced to shoot a once magnificent buck that had probably lost 1/3 of it's body weight due to an arrow that was through it's esophagus. The wound was badly infected and the carcass was useless. Bow season had been over for 2 weeks at that point so the poor animal hadn't been able to eat for maybe 2 to 4 weeks. That left a lasting impression on me and a contempt for bow hunters.

They hired sharp shooters to come in and shoot the deer at Valley Forge. Cool.

a plan to permit hunting with bows and arrows (I'm not clear on why this is thought to be superior; can't you kill a person with any weapon that would kill a deer?).

they are probably using bow and arrows so slugs from high powered rifles aren't zinging into populated areas around the burbs..............not all Billie Bobs are good shots...:eusa_shhh:

I generally prefer animals to people, and, since the wildlife was here first, I say we shoot the people and eat them.

J/k

I recall reading/hearing somewhere that deer kill more people in our country than all other animals combined - including sharks, bears, wolves, coyotes, and snakes. Can anyone verify this?

I recall reading/hearing somewhere that humans kill more people in our country than all other animals combined - including sharks, bears, wolves, coyotes, and snakes. I don't have to verify this, it's obvious; especially to gun fans.

My housing association is just crawling with deer, and it is inside the city limits of Cleveland. An area suburb considered -- then abandoned -- a plan to permit hunting with bows and arrows (I'm not clear on why this is thought to be superior; can't you kill a person with any weapon that would kill a deer?).

When wildlife encroaches on urban areas, what is the ethical response? These animals are too big to trap and relocate.

Reestablish the deers natural enemies into the area. wolves would work fine.

a plan to permit hunting with bows and arrows (I'm not clear on why this is thought to be superior; can't you kill a person with any weapon that would kill a deer?).

they are probably using bow and arrows so slugs from high powered rifles aren't zinging into populated areas around the burbs..............not all Billie Bobs are good shots...:eusa_shhh:

No kidding. I also live in rural central PA. We moved out of the country after we got a few slugs in the side of our nice big bright white house from the drunk yahoos shooting at the neighbor's dog while trespassing on private land. The year before our cat was shot in the middle of our yard during hunting season. :rolleyes:

And they cancel school on the first day of deer season because it's not safe for the big bright yellow school buses to travel the rural roads. Unreal.

Yeah, Billy Bob with a rifle in a populated area is a bad idea.

Some parts of the country are beginning to see coyotes in urban areas. I can't imagine what else could be done except to shoot them.

I like animals as well as the next person, but Disnefying a coyote in your own yard seems nuts to me.

Some parts of the country are beginning to see humans in forested areas. I can't imagine what else could be done except to shoot them.

I like people as well as the next animal, but Disnefying a human in your own yard seems nuts to me.

Forum List

Back