Chronicle...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
Chronicle is a pretty cool movie about three high school buddies who hang out together...

the name of the movie refers to the fact that they chronicle their activities with a video camera...

at some point early on in the movie, they enter a cave and encounter some sort of extraterrestrial force that gives them all psycho-kinetic powers... (i.e., they can move stuff with their thoughts...)

the fun stuff is how they adjust to having this power...

the dark stuff arises from the fact that one of the three has problems at home... which leads to mental problems... which leads to problems for the other two... as well as problems for everyone else around them...

it's refreshing that the movie doesn't turn these boys into costumed superheros and supervilllians... but rather leaves them as ordinary kids who happen to have an extraordinary ability that they struggle with...

I give this movie at least a solid B, if not a B+/A-...

and, believe me, I don't lightly give out anything above a C+ for movies...

Last edited:
Chronicle is a pretty cool movie about three high school buddies who hang out together...

the name of the movie refers to the fact that they chronicle their activities with a video camera...

at some point early on in the movie, they enter a cave and encounter some sort of extraterrestrial force that gives them all psycho-kinetic powers... (i.e., they can move stuff with their thoughts...)

the fun stuff is how they adjust to having this power...

the dark stuff arises from the fact that one of the three has problems at home... which leads to mental problems... which leads to problems for the other two... as well as problems for everyone else around them...

it's refreshing that the movie doesn't turn these boys into costumed superheros and supervilllians... but rather leaves them as ordinary kids who happen to have an extraordinary ability that they struggle with...

I give this movie at least a solid B, if not a B+/A-...

and, believe me, I don't lightly give out anything above a C+ for movies...

Glad to hear a good review of this one. I'm worried about going to see it. The concept of looking at a story where random people come up on super powers and trying to realistically portray how that would interact with the human psyche intrigues the sh*t out of me, but if I started hearing it was stupid I'd have probably just watched the bootleg in stead of going to see it.

I enjoyed Chronicle, it was well done. There are a few flaws, and it's a fairly short movie, but still one of the better movies that I've seen recently. If you don't mind the 'self-filmed' look, a la Blair Witch, and if regular kids getting powers is an appealing concept to you, this is a must-see.

Forum List

Back