Christmas on Credit: The American way.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I am sure you guys have read the same reports that I have...Americans are buying Christmas gifts on credit cards in record numbers. Bankruptcy filings are epidemic compared to a few years ago - but this doesn't stop people from continuing to pile up debt they can't pay.
Greece here we come.

For many, yes. But not for me.
If I can't pay cash for it, I don't make the purchase. I flat out refuse to use a credit card for any purchase during this Christmas season.

For many, yes. But not for me.
If I can't pay cash for it, I don't make the purchase. I flat out refuse to use a credit card for any purchase during this Christmas season.

I hear that.
My biggest problem with credit cards was receiving notices that my account was closed because we never used it.

Debit cards all the way.

My wife and I buy want we want during the year so we don't buy anything for Christmas, we just send cards out to our friends and family.

My wife and I buy want we want during the year so we don't buy anything for Christmas, we just send cards out to our friends and family.

We do the same for each other.
As a society we turned a truly great holiday into the most stressful time of the year as people rack up debt buying gifts they really can't afford to buy, but are embarrassed not to.

We do the same for each other.
As a society we turned a truly great holiday into the most stressful time of the year as people rack up debt buying gifts they really can't afford to buy, but are embarrassed not to.
The nice thing about not exchanging gifts during holidays (A Mormon relative got us started not doing that) is that you can then concentrate on family get togethers and what not. And shouldn't that be the focal point of holidays? Friends and Family?

...you guys have read the same reports that I have...Americans are buying Christmas gifts on credit cards in record numbers. Bankruptcy filings are epidemic...
We sure have, and the reports are lies from fools and America-bashers. It's the lowest form of slander because Americans are definitely not spendthrift morons, we're hard working responsible good people. OK, most of us are --and for years now Americans have been paying off debts--
conscreddgraph.png

--while the Federal government's been piling it on, and for years now American bankruptcies have been falling
bancrpcqs.png

even while the Federal government's been getting its credit rating lowered. So even though politics is a mess we still have to clean up it's still small potatoes because we're doing great --Merry Christmas!

...you guys have read the same reports that I have...Americans are buying Christmas gifts on credit cards in record numbers. Bankruptcy filings are epidemic...
We sure have, and the reports are lies from fools and America-bashers. It's the lowest form of slander because Americans are definitely not spendthrift morons, we're hard working responsible good people. OK, most of us are --and for years now Americans have been paying off debts--

--while the Federal government's been piling it on, and for years now American bankruptcies have been falling

even while the Federal government's been getting its credit rating lowered. So even though politics is a mess we still have to clean up it's still small potatoes because we're doing great --Merry Christmas!

Yeah - we're doing great...:cuckoo:
You must work for MSNBC.
You must also work part-time for Wall Street by agreeing that bankruptcies are "falling"...no...more like "a little less" than last year, about the same as 2009, far worse than 2006,07, and 08. A slight down tick from the previous year is not a "falling number"

Same data.......

Attachments

• $fredgraph.png
    $fredgraph.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
And another thing expat - you think the bankruptcy numbers for this year would be what they are if "normal" unemployment policies from previous years were still followed?
100,000's of people living in homes and paying no mortgage payments, or interest only...you think if they had to actually pay their mortgages - they wouldn't have already filed?
Kind of a side issue of this thread. Things are not as they appear.

I am sure you guys have read the same reports that I have...Americans are buying Christmas gifts on credit cards in record numbers. Bankruptcy filings are epidemic compared to a few years ago - but this doesn't stop people from continuing to pile up debt they can't pay.

You automatically equate using a credit card with "piling up" debt because you don't understand how credit cards work. You can pay off the balance. THen you don't have any debt and you typically wouldn't pay any interest.

People are likely using credit cards in record numbers because credit cards get easier and easier to use. Especially for small purchases and from small booth-type vendors and people are certainly going to be shopping online more.

You automatically equate using a credit card with "piling up" debt because you don't understand how credit cards work. You can pay off the balance. THen you don't have any debt and you typically wouldn't pay any interest.

People are likely using credit cards in record numbers because credit cards get easier and easier to use. Especially for small purchases and from small booth-type vendors and people are certainly going to be shopping online more.

No...that is what Debit cards are for. You can use a debit card like a credit card...except of course the money is immediately removed from your account. Debit cards are accepted everywhere the same as credit cards.
People use credit cards because they don't have the money in the bank.
Did you not look at the chart?
American debt is unbelievable. If people were paying their balances off - we wouldn't be in this shape no would we?

Greece here we come.

Not me - CA$H all the way!!
As it's always been.

Greece here we come.

As it's always been.
Yeah, us too, and the truck just drank $80. :eek:

Greece here we come.

As it's always been.
Yeah, us too, and the truck just drank $80. :eek:

Sh*t...don't even bring up gas...I swear I can sneeze longer than it takes to pump $20 in gas.
Hell to pump $20 in gas years ago - you would have to sit down in your car and wait for it!

No...that is what Debit cards are for. You can use a debit card like a credit card...except of course the money is immediately removed from your account. Debit cards are accepted everywhere the same as credit cards.
American debt is unbelievable. If people were paying their balances off - we wouldn't be in this shape no would we?

Whatever American debt it, it's a fundamental and critical component of our economy. People need to borrow/people need to lend.

If more people were borrowing and lending we would not be in the shape we are in now.

People use a credit card instead of a debit card for several reason.

1. I like my rewards points on my credit card

2. I don't like to keep alot of money tied up in a checking or savings account, so I use the credit card as a way to smooth the ebbs and flows of cash over the month.

3. The wife and I share a checking account, but I barely touch the thing except to pay the bills and credit card bill and that all happens on one day out of the month.

I see no compelling reason to use a debit card instead of a credit card. I just pay my balance at the end of the month. And in the odd month where I carry a balance it's still better than using the overdraft.

Whatever American debt it, it's a fundamental and critical component of our economy. People need to borrow/people need to lend.

If more people were borrowing and lending we would not be in the shape we are in now.

People use a credit card instead of a debit card for several reason.

1. I like my rewards points on my credit card

2. I don't like to keep alot of money tied up in a checking or savings account, so I use the credit card as a way to smooth the ebbs and flows of cash over the month.

3. The wife and I share a checking account, but I barely touch the thing except to pay the bills and credit card bill and that all happens on one day out of the month.

I see no compelling reason to use a debit card instead of a credit card. I just pay my balance at the end of the month. And in the odd month where I carry a balance it's still better than using the overdraft.

Umm....ok...:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back