Christianity Was At The Heart Of The Founders Of The U.S.A..

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
Please check out this weblink.

Especially for those of you that see Separation of Church and State as something akin to concrete in our Constitution.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/forsakenroots.html

Did you know that 52 of the 55 signers of The Declaration of Independence were orthodox, deeply committed Christians? The other three all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God of scripture, and His personal intervention.

Please check out the above link and share your comments.

Yes, I have an agenda, but who doesn't when they submit threads in these forums.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket :usa:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I think this is one of the most important quotes that today's leaders need to remember (Bush seems to, now what about the others?):

"It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all the dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are the indispensable supporters. Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that our national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

--George Washington

So the founding fathers were Christian, what is your point?

Not an attack, a sincere question.

deaddude said:

I think the point is that we would do well to take the same views of Christianity that the Founding Fathers did.

deaddude said:

Not were they just Christian, they did not view separation of Church and state to be to the extent that the left likes to portray. Could you imagine if the government bought Bibles today to give to the masses?

freeandfun1 said:
Could you imagine if the government bought Bibles today to give to the masses?

Not really, the people who took the bibles probably already had them; the people who didn't already have a bible would probably refuse to take it.

Anyway, enough people hand out bibles with out the government getting involved.

gop_jeff said:
I think the point is that we would do well to take the same views of Christianity that the Founding Fathers did.

Why, what good would it do? We don’t see eye to eye with the founding fathers on many things, slavery and women for starters, why see eye to eye with them on this?

freeandfun1 said:
Not were they just Christian, they did not view separation of Church and state to be to the extent that the left likes to portray. Could you imagine if the government bought Bibles today to give to the masses?
They didn't envision seperation of church and state, but freedom to practice or not any religion one wanted or didn't. It's the prohibition against any endorsement of A religion. Empasis on 'A'.

deaddude said:
Not really, the people who took the bibles probably already had them; the people who didn't already have a bible would probably refuse to take it.

Anyway, enough people hand out bibles with out the government getting involved.

Did you read any of the history on the site? You totally missed my point. The founding fathers had the GOVERNMENT purchase 20,000 Bibles in one of their first acts of Congress to be given to the masses. My point was, if we tried that today, everybody would yell "violation of separation of Church and State" which is based on nothing other than the desires of those yelling.

Kathianne said:
They didn't envision seperation of church and state, but freedom to practice or not any religion one wanted or didn't. It's the prohibition against any endorsement of A religion. Empasis on 'A'.

Yes, you are so correct.

deaddude said:
Why, what good would it do? We don’t see eye to eye with the founding fathers on many things, slavery and women for starters, why see eye to eye with them on this?

Then why should we see eye to eye with them on the matters of freedom? Hell, let's just throw away the constitution. I guess you won't be bitch'n about the Patriot Act any more either huh?

I was simply pointing out that the "they believed it we should too" was erroneous. Times change.

Why would having the founding fathers view on Christianity be a good thing? What good would it do for the country?

I asked why we should see eye to eye with them and you answered with an attack.

deaddude said:
I was simply pointing out that the "they believed it we should too" was erroneous. Times change.

Why would having the founding fathers view on Christianity be a good thing? What good would it do for the country?

For me and others, I think the point is that the lefties like to say that the founding fathers intended for their to be a clear and distinct separation of church and state when they did not.

Very well I will accept that, but you agreed with Kathianne when she said

to which you said:

Yes, you are so correct.

So you do believe that there is a prohibition on the government endorsing any one religion.

Which leads to my next question: How would you go about having no separation of church and state while still keeping the government from endorsing a religion?

deaddude said:
How would you go about having no separation of church and state while still keeping the government from endorsing a religion?

Easy, the government should not force upon the people any one religion. There should be no mandated state religion as with the Church of England.

For example, if the people want to use government land for a nativity scene and the government lets them, that is not equal to the government forcing Christianity on the people.

deaddude said:
Which leads to my next question: How would you go about having no separation of church and state while still keeping the government from endorsing a religion?

The whole premise of the 1st Amendment is that the government does not sanction or subsidize a particular religion. It is not that every government agency treat religion like an open bowl of anthrax and keep away from it at all cost.

Currently, the government endorses no religion. It treats all religions equally in the eyes of the law. It inhibits on nobody's right to worship. That's exactly what the 1st Amendment is there for. It is not there to stamp out all references to God or religion from the public eye.

deaddude said:
but the gov should be handing out bibles ala founding fathers?

I see no reason why the government shouldn't be allowed to purchase Bibles if that is what the people want. If the people don't want that, the don't elect a government official that would advocate it. As you said, probably the only people that would take them are people that would want them. The government did not require the people to take them nor did they say that if you didn't take one, you would face criminal charges. Nothing was being forced upon anybody.

deaddude said:
but the gov should be handing out bibles ala founding fathers?

The Founding Fathers handed out the Bibles, not the Government. There is a difference between an elected official, his beliefs, and the Government. However expecting an elected official to drop his beliefs and majically separate his religion from political decisions would be a fallacy. The Founding Fathers expected people to bring their religion with them but not have them creating a law that made other people follow their religion.

Thus the Government doesn't worship something and expect you to as well but the people that are part of the Government most certainly do.

Forum List

Back