Christianity Was At The Heart Of The Founders Of The U.S.A..

no1tovote4 said:
The Founding Fathers handed out the Bibles, not the Government.

But the government did purchase them.

Immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence, the Continental Congress voted to purchase and import 20,000 copies of scripture for the people of this nation.

freeandfun1 said:
But the government did purchase them.

Ahh I see. I see no issues with this really. They can give me a Bible but it still doesn't make me follow their religion or even give the idea that they will come after me for being Buddhist rather than Christian.

gop_jeff said:
The whole premise of the 1st Amendment is that the government does not sanction or subsidize a particular religion. It is not that every government agency treat religion like an open bowl of anthrax and keep away from it at all cost.

Currently, the government endorses no religion. It treats all religions equally in the eyes of the law. It inhibits on nobody's right to worship. That's exactly what the 1st Amendment is there for. It is not there to stamp out all references to God or religion from the public eye.

Makes some sense, still I would be curious to see how some Christians would react if the Sacagawea dollar said "in our guardian sprits we trust" or if the Louisiana state quarter said "in Dahmballa we trust."

deaddude said:
Makes some sense, still I would be curious to see how some Christians would react if the Sacagawea dollar said "in our guardian sprits we trust" or if the Louisiana state quarter said "in Dahmballa we trust."
States cannot mint their own currency. I would disagree though about religions being treated the same currently. Seems like only Christianity is actually being persecuted, in the sense of having 'different' rules. It's a tyranny of the minority over the majority.

Kathianne said:
States cannot mint their own currency. I would disagree though about religions being treated the same currently. Seems like only Christianity is actually being persecuted, in the sense of having 'different' rules. It's a tyranny of the minority over the majority.

I meant those quarters with different tail sides for each state.

Explain your Christians as the victim’s position

deaddude said:

Well, those are just other names for some people's versions of G-d, so I doubt it they would have a problem with it. That is the reason the constitution, etc. refer to G-d and not Jesus. It is a generic term and allows for all religions to worship their personal G-d.

no1tovote4 said:
Ahh I see. I see no issues with this really. They can give me a Bible but it still doesn't make me follow their religion or even give the idea that they will come after me for being Buddhist rather than Christian.

Your tax dollars at work eh?

deaddude said:
Your tax dollars at work eh?

If my tax dollars can go to funding an abortion or some other issue I don't support, why can't they go toward something YOU don't support? Kinda a double standard ain't it?

Not a problem with CA teacher bringing in Korans, but not bibles. (Mind you, I'm not big on bible teaching in the first place, ducking.) Problems are always with 'Christian symbols.' Newdower and such, it's always the Christians they take to task, even if it appears to be a 'generic' god.

freeandfun1 said:
If my tax dollars can go to funding an abortion or some other issue I don't support, why can't they go toward something YOU don't support? Kinda a double standard ain't it?

Can taxes still go to abortions? Even the just-as-a-form-of-birth-control abortions? I can understand them going to save-the-life-of-the-mother-who-can't-aford-one abortions, but not realy any other kind of tax paid abortion.

Why can't they go to something useful like body armour eh?

Kathianne said:
Not a problem with CA teacher bringing in Korans, but not bibles. (Mind you, I'm not big on bible teaching in the first place, ducking.) Problems are always with 'Christian symbols.' Newdower and such, it's always the Christians they take to task, even if it appears to be a 'generic' god.

Yes that is a double standard, neither should be aloud, in my oppinion.

deaddude said:
Can taxes still go to abortions? Even the just-as-a-form-of-birth-control abortions? I can understand them going to save-the-life-of-the-mother-who-can't-aford-one abortions, but not realy any other kind of tax paid abortion.

Why can't they go to something useful like body armour eh?
Last I heard, Planned Parenthood and medicaid are still active and reaping in my tax dollars.

Kathianne said:
Last I heard, Planned Parenthood and medicaid are still active and reaping in my tax dollars.

He doesn't really want to have an exchange to learn, only to provoke. I am finished with this thread.

freeandfun1 said:
He doesn't really want to have an exchange to learn, only to provoke. I am finished with this thread.

Um I am afraid you misunderstand me I did not wish to provoke anyone. I have even agreed with several post made by your fellows.

deaddude said:
Um I am afraid you misunderstand me I did not wish to provoke anyone. I have even agreed with several post made by your fellows.

Okay, but for me the discussion is getting old. Nobody is going to change their minds on this. Regards,

deaddude said:
I was simply pointing out that the "they believed it we should too" was erroneous. Times change.

Why would having the founding fathers view on Christianity be a good thing? What good would it do for the country?

I asked why we should see eye to eye with them and you answered with an attack.

Times change, but the Constitution hasn't. Which also reminds me of the fallacy that the Constitution is a flexible, changeable, living document. That's code for, redefining what the founding fathers intended that the constitution communicate.

Regards, Eightballside

Kathianne said:

As everyone in this forum is fond of saying, approximately 80% of the US population is Christian. If that's the case, do we really need to have classes to explain the fundamentals of Christianity and the cultural differences of Christians? That teacher isn't bringing the Koran into class to convert kids to, or preach Islam. It's to aid in a class to teach about Middle Eastern culture. Do you suppose they have a Mexican awareness day in Tijuana?

MissileMan said:
As everyone in this forum is fond of saying, approximately 80% of the US population is Christian. If that's the case, do we really need to have classes to explain the fundamentals of Christianity and the cultural differences of Christians? That teacher isn't bringing the Koran into class to convert kids to, or preach Islam. It's to aid in a class to teach about Middle Eastern culture. Do you suppose they have a Mexican awareness day in Tijuana?

Actually Missile, yes I do think it is 'unintentional teaching'. Truth is, most Americans have a very shallow understanding of their 'own faith' yet think they can help others understand 'other faiths' as a comparison. I am aware of my 'holes' regarding Christianity, much less Judaism and Islam.

Kathianne said:
Actually Missile, yes I do think it is 'unintentional teaching'. Truth is, most Americans have a very shallow understanding of their 'own faith' yet think they can help others understand 'other faiths' as a comparison. I am aware of my 'holes' regarding Christianity, much less Judaism and Islam.

I understand what you are saying. The question remains however, do you think it should fall to the public school system to fill in these "holes", or should that be done in church?

MissileMan said:
I understand what you are saying. The question remains however, do you think it should fall to the public school system to fill in these "holes", or should that be done in church?
Actually I think if the schools did a better job of teaching the main tenets of each 'big' religion, IE Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, we would have a much more globally versed society. Now there is a difference with 'indoctrination' which is what happens when one is taught at the exclusion of the others-that is 'establishment.'

Forum List

Back