Christian friends of gays and lesbians

We have a history of what has been done to gays before the civil rights movement. How quckly we forget.

Some Christians oppose hate crime legislation. Why is that?

I think some people oppose hate crime legislation because they're bigoted.

I think most people who oppose hate crime legislation oppose it because it is bad legislation. The underlying act should be criminalized (and usually already is). There is no need for the law to treat the circumstances differently based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

Let me ask you a very serious question...If our laws did not protect Gay Americans, what do you think Christians (not all, but some) would do to us? If there were no legal repercussions, what do you think some Churches would advocate be done to us?

Being that our laws protect all citizens, your question doesn't make much sense to me.:confused:

We have laws to protect individual rights, life, and liberties. I seriously doubt that in this day and time, and in this country, Christians would advocate anything be "done" to gays.

If there was no legal protection for gays...it would not be long at all...like it used to be:

The History of Sodomy Laws in the United States - Pennslvania

And there churches today (Westboro is only the loud tip of the iceberg) that advocate the biblical punishment for sodomy (of course, even tho sodomy means anything but penis in vagina sex...they really mean gays)

We have a history of what has been done to gays before the civil rights movement. How quckly we forget.

Some Christians oppose hate crime legislation. Why is that?

I think some people oppose hate crime legislation because they're bigoted.

I think most people who oppose hate crime legislation oppose it because it is bad legislation. The underlying act should be criminalized (and usually already is). There is no need for the law to treat the circumstances differently based on race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

So, intent shouldn't matter in criminal prosecutions?

Let me ask you a very serious question...If our laws did not protect Gay Americans, what do you think Christians (not all, but some) would do to us? If there were no legal repercussions, what do you think some Churches would advocate be done to us?

NOTHING. what do you think would be done to gays?

Then you are very, very naive.

so the only thing that is keeping christians from murdering gays is legislation that makes it a hate crime?

since i am so naive, tell me what would happen if laws did not protect gay americans. what would the powerful churches be able to accomplish in today's society?

NOTHING. what do you think would be done to gays?

so the only thing that is keeping christians from murdering gays is legislation that makes it a hate crime?

since i am so naive, tell me what would happen if laws did not protect gay americans. what would the powerful churches be able to accomplish in today's society?

Powerful churches were able to defeat marriage equality in California. Texas is recriminalizing homosexuality. Some churches are fighting hate crime legislation because they're afraid of being sued.

you know, you're right.

i hate fags. can't stand them. those fucking gay pride parades. disgusting.

i wish i could kill all of them.

if only it weren't for those damn hate crime laws.

soon as we get rid of those, its open season baby. vote republican.

and watch your back ******. i got my eye on you. you're next

You may be tongue in cheek there....but you are naive to think that some wouldn't welcome the chance if there were no legal consequences.

are you naive to think that homosexuals like jeffrey dahmer wouldn't welcome the chance to rape and murder little boys if there were no legal consequences?

you know, you're right.

i hate fags. can't stand them. those fucking gay pride parades. disgusting.

i wish i could kill all of them.

if only it weren't for those damn hate crime laws.

soon as we get rid of those, its open season baby. vote republican.

and watch your back ******. i got my eye on you. you're next

You may be tongue in cheek there....but you are naive to think that some wouldn't welcome the chance if there were no legal consequences.

are you naive to think that homosexuals like jeffrey dahmer wouldn't welcome the chance to rape and murder little boys if there were no legal consequences?

Jeffrey Dahmer was mentally ill. He never came out as a homosexual. Dahmer might have not murdered if his mental illmess had been treated. Dahmers repressed sexuality may have played a role in the murders. Dalmers family was fundamentalist Christian. He didn't murder children btw. He murdered young men.

Last edited:

Being that our laws protect all citizens, your question doesn't make much sense to me.:confused:

We have laws to protect individual rights, life, and liberties. I seriously doubt that in this day and time, and in this country, Christians would advocate anything be "done" to gays.

If there was no legal protection for gays...it would not be long at all...like it used to be:

The History of Sodomy Laws in the United States - Pennslvania

And there churches today (Westboro is only the loud tip of the iceberg) that advocate the biblical punishment for sodomy (of course, even tho sodomy means anything but penis in vagina sex...they really mean gays)
PLEASE, dont use the term "church" with WBC
even though it is in their name, they are not really a church, just a small group that is basicly just Phelps family, and then not even ALL of his family

Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

Sky, assuming all Christians think this is a bit close minded and judgemental, wouldn't you say?

Some of the nasty so called "Christians" that call gays names like Devients and such don't speak for many of us. And I'm betting a lot of them have skeletons in their closets that would shock a nun!

Did I say all Christians? I didn't mean to. If you don't think that homosexuality is immoral, wrong and sinful then how do you reconcile that with your Christianity?

Well, personally I do think it's wrong, immoral and sinful, but for those that don't it's easy. Jesus says it's not good enough to love our neighbors, we have to love our enemies. Hence, we have to love everybody, including sinners, but then again, we're all sinners.

Powerful churches were able to defeat marriage equality in California. Texas is recriminalizing homosexuality. Some churches are fighting hate crime legislation because they're afraid of being sued.

maybe churches are fighting the legislation because they don't want their priests to be charged with hate crimes for quoting from the bible.

"I became a Christian very suddenly (and out of freakin' nowhere) when I was 38 years old.

At that time, I was working in the "Office Services" department of a large law firm. My sole co-worker in that department was a lesbian named Joan Finch.

To a lot of Christians, of course -- just as with a lot of people generally -- someone's being gay or lesbian can register as a Fairly Large Deal. But I had been around gays and lesbians all my life, and had no schema for understanding a person's sexual orientation as having anything whatsoever to do with their moral character, or their status relative to God, or anything like that. Any such concept was foreign to me. All I knew was that some gays and lesbians were awful people, and some were noble, wise, kind people whom it was impossible not to love. Same as anyone else. People are people

."I'd had gay friends all of my life. Real friends. Best friends. As obnoxious as it is to stereotype, I think it's safe to say that generally, gays and lesbians have suffered for being gay and lesbian: just about all my gay friends, for instance, have countless stories about getting regularly beaten-up as kids by ... well, by just about everyone around them. Schoolmates. Siblings. Dads. Crosswalk guards. Dog-walkers. Whomever.

Growing up gay or lesbian in America is just a tough row to hoe, period. If you think it's not, then ... then you're just not paying attention to life.

And that gays and lesbians have generally suffered in their lives means that they are generally sensitive to the suffering of others. And generally that makes them kind, compassionate, and emotionally insightful. It makes them empathic. Which is why I have generally found gays and lesbians rewarding to hang out with.

I had my big fat conversion experience at work with Joan Finch.

A look of genuine concern came across her face.

"Oh, no," she said.

"What is it?" I said. "What's wrong?"

"Now you're going to hate me."

"What? What are you -- why in the world would I hate you?"

"Because Christians hate gays and lesbians," said Joan. She looked heartbroken. "Don't you know that?"

"They do? We do? Why?"

"Because it's in the Bible," she said. "I grew up in the church. I know. Part of the whole Christian deal is to hate gays and lesbians."

And then she turned away from me, so that I wouldn't see her fighting back her tears.

"You must be wrong about that," I implored. I put my hand on her back. "You must be."

"I'm not," she said, stepping away from me. "You wait. You'll see."
John Shore: How My Lesbian Friend Reacted to My Christian Conversion

Do Christians have gay friends?

I have family members that happen to be gay and I have friendly relations with them. I don't approve of their choices but why should I hate them?

Last edited:
Do you still practice your faith as an adult?

No. Did my changing religious views have anything to do with homosexuality? No.

What made you break away from your faith?

I've found my faith has grown stronger at a time when most people my age seem to be breaking away from the church. At least many are not regular Church goers.

Jeffrey Dalmer was mentally ill. He never came out as a homosexual. Dahlmer might have not murdered if his mental illmess had been treated. Dahlmers repressed sexuality may have played a role in the murders. He didn't murder children btw.

james doxtator - 14
Konerak Sinthasomphone-14
he didn't only murder children.

maybe churches are fighting the legislation because they don't want their priests to be charged with hate crimes for quoting from the bible.

Could you tell us how many hate crimes the members of the Westboro Church have been charged with in all the years they've been preaching their hate?

Jeffrey Dalmer was mentally ill. He never came out as a homosexual. Dahlmer might have not murdered if his mental illmess had been treated. Dahlmers repressed sexuality may have played a role in the murders. He didn't murder children btw.

james doxtator - 14
Konerak Sinthasomphone-14
he didn't only murder children.

I concede. Most of Dahmers victims were adults.

Do you still practice your faith as an adult?

No. Did my changing religious views have anything to do with homosexuality? No.

What made you break away from your faith?

I've found my faith has grown stronger at a time when most people my age seem to be breaking away from the church. At least many are not regular Church goers.

I'm not a regular church goer, unless you count Mondays when I go to hand out lunches to the homeless. It's my friends church. I have a small problem with many Churches. I don't think anyone is going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus. I tend to believe in purgatory. I think we'll all pay for our sins before we get to heaven. I can't imagine a loving God sending someone to burn in hell for eternity just for not knowing his son. I do not believe Sky Dancer is going to hell either because she's a Buddhist, or because she's gay. Now, for wanting that Christian expelled, maybe....:D <just kidding>

Could you tell us how many hate crimes the members of the Westboro Church have been charged with in all the years they've been preaching their hate?

None.

Nor should they be.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing someone beat the crap out of them. Then we might see some jury nullification.

Forum List

Back