Christian friends of gays and lesbians

If some Christians had their way homosexuality would be criminalized and pathologized.

I don't think that's a valid argument since if some gays had their way Christianity would be criminalized and pathologized.

Really? Which gays think that way. Link please. Texas is recriminalizing homosexuality. In what state is Christianity criminalized?

If some Christians had their way homosexuality would be criminalized and pathologized.

I don't think that's a valid argument since if some gays had their way Christianity would be criminalized and pathologized.

Show us some of those gays who believe that.

Elton John

Sorry, but many people have gotten away with murdering or bashing gays since this country began. While laws may be on the books, doesn't mean the police bother to find out who did it once they find out the victim is gay.
and that would change because of a hate law how?

It's sends a message to people who would perpetrate hate crime that socieity does not condone scapegoating of a target population.

Why we need hate crime legislation:

First, the federal government gains the authority to prosecute anti-LGBT hate crimes. No matter how awful the crime, nor how compelling the evidence, the federal government simply cannot act without this law.

Second, this legislation will put crucial federal resources at the disposal of state and local agencies and equip local law enforcement officers with the tools they need to seek justice. There have been numerous hate-crimes cases where local jurisdictions simply lacked the full resources to prosecute the guilty. As an example, when Matthew (Judy’s son) was murdered in Laramie, Wyo., in 1998, the town had to scramble financially to handle the investigation, prosecution, and security required. The case ended up costing this small locality of roughly 28,000 people about $150,000, and the county sheriff’s department was ultimately forced to furlough five deputies to save money. The police department also incurred about $25,000 in overtime costs. Federal assistance would have been a huge help.

Why we need a federal hate-crimes law?and why we can get it | \ | Advocate.com
but if the cops dont investigate a murder, why would they investigate a hate crime?

and that would change because of a hate law how?

It's sends a message to people who would perpetrate hate crime that socieity does not condone scapegoating of a target population.

First, the federal government gains the authority to prosecute anti-LGBT hate crimes. No matter how awful the crime, nor how compelling the evidence, the federal government simply cannot act without this law.

Second, this legislation will put crucial federal resources at the disposal of state and local agencies and equip local law enforcement officers with the tools they need to seek justice. There have been numerous hate-crimes cases where local jurisdictions simply lacked the full resources to prosecute the guilty. As an example, when Matthew (Judy’s son) was murdered in Laramie, Wyo., in 1998, the town had to scramble financially to handle the investigation, prosecution, and security required. The case ended up costing this small locality of roughly 28,000 people about $150,000, and the county sheriff’s department was ultimately forced to furlough five deputies to save money. The police department also incurred about $25,000 in overtime costs. Federal assistance would have been a huge help.

but if the cops dont investigate a murder, why would they investigate a hate crime?

Did you read my post? They may be more likely to investigate and prosecute if they have the funds to do so.

Did you read my post? They may be more likely to investigate and prosecute if they have the funds to do so.
you had edited your post while i was responding to it

and again, is it the lack of funds that caused cops to not investigate a MURDER????

and again, is it the lack of funds that caused cops to not investigate a MURDER????

In the Matthew Shephard case the community investigated the crime but at great cost to them because the earlier hate crimes law did not apply to sexual orientation.

That's the reason the Shephard family advocated for the legislation.

In the past, violence to gays was a low priority for cops.

In the Matthew Shephard case the community investigated the crime but at great cost to them because the earlier hate crimes law did not apply to sexual orientation.

and that was a problem in the cops, not the laws

It was a problem getting the law enforced and getting the trial paid for.

Let me ask you a very serious question...If our laws did not protect Gay Americans, what do you think Christians (not all, but some) would do to us? If there were no legal repercussions, what do you think some Churches would advocate be done to us?

What did Christians do to you before there were legal repercussions?

Killed us, locked us up, fired us from our jobs, kicked us out of churches, beat us up...

don't splatter yourself using that broad brush....

Last edited:

again, if a cop wouldnt investigate a murder, what makes you think that SAME cop would investigate a hate crime?

the problem isnt the law, its the COP

None of the foregoing supports hate crime laws. If a police department didn't do its job previously, but did have laws under which they could have pursued a case, then the problem doesn't stem from lack of laws to enforce, but a lack of will to enforce them.

The funding issue is a red herring. Police departments and prosecutors who are doing their jobs aren't going to decline to pursue a murder because of lack of funding. If the decline to pursue it for other reasons (such as sexual orientation of the victim) then additional funding isn't going to matter.

The idea that prejudiced cops and prosecutors who wouldn't normally have investigated the death of a gay person are suddenly going to do so because there is a hate crime law is nonsense.

You may be tongue in cheek there....but you are naive to think that some wouldn't welcome the chance if there were no legal consequences.

are you naive to think that homosexuals like jeffrey dahmer wouldn't welcome the chance to rape and murder little boys if there were no legal consequences?

And how many Jeffrey Dahmer like Christians are there out there waiting (like those guys in Wyoming) to have a little gay target practice?

oh, all of them. :rofl:

get a grip

are you naive to think that homosexuals like jeffrey dahmer wouldn't welcome the chance to rape and murder little boys if there were no legal consequences?

And how many Jeffrey Dahmer like Christians are there out there waiting (like those guys in Wyoming) to have a little gay target practice?

I was at the lunch table at work when I overheard a co-worker say that he wished he could have been there in Wyoming holding the flashlight so those guys could inflict more damage.

of course you did. how convenient...
:rolleyes:

I was at the lunch table at work when I overheard a co-worker say that he wished he could have been there in Wyoming holding the flashlight so those guys could inflict more damage.

The Doctor trying to save that kid's life got hate mail.

link?

Hold on here, you're saying that funding was a problem in the Matthew Shepherd case? Where did you get that information?

And why no comment about Elton John?

of course you did. how convenient...
:rolleyes:

It didn't feel 'convenient' at the time. Interesting. You think I made up the story?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back