Chris Christie Dodges Question about GOP Loyalt Pledge

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie said Sunday he has yet to sign the party’s loyalty pledge because no one has given it to him.

“I haven’t been presented with the pledge yet,” the former New Jersey governor said on ABC’s “This Week,” adding he thought the Republican National Committee was still verifying that he had enough donors to qualify for the event. But in answering the question Sunday, Christie did not say whether he would sign the pledge when he received it.

Of course not. Why commit yourself one way or another as a political candidate? Who did they think he is, Donald Trump, or someone else with balls and integrity?

Trump has yet to commit to taking part in the debate, and last week he said he wouldn’t sign such a pledge in an interview in which he criticized rivals Christie, Hutchinson and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis by name. “I wouldn’t sign the pledge,” Trump said on Newsmax. “Why would I sign a pledge if there are people on there that I wouldn’t have?”

Christie said he was not surprised that Trump has neither committed to the debate or the pledge yet. “He plays misdirection all the time,” he said.

The misdirection is Christie saying "no one has presented it." No doubt one of those technically true, but misleading statements. He may have asked staff not to show it to him so he could give that answer. It may be on his desk right in front of him, but no one has come in to open the envelope and present it to him. So it is not such a mystery:

“I affirm that if I do not win the 2024 Republican nomination for President of the United States, I will honor the will of the primary voters and support the nominee in order to save our country and beat Joe Biden,” reads the pledge, according to copies shared online by some of the candidates.

The pledge is a dumb idea, at least the requirement to sign it to be allowed to debate. Keeping Trump out of the debate means virtually no one will watch it. We're talking CNN-like ratings.

Democrats won't care without Trump to obsess over and why would GOP voters want to watch Republicans who hate Trump debate Republicans who want to be Trump's VP while the DeSantis debates the moderator?

Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie said Sunday he has yet to sign the party’s loyalty pledge because no one has given it to him.

“I haven’t been presented with the pledge yet,” the former New Jersey governor said on ABC’s “This Week,” adding he thought the Republican National Committee was still verifying that he had enough donors to qualify for the event. But in answering the question Sunday, Christie did not say whether he would sign the pledge when he received it.

Of course not. Why commit yourself one way or another as a political candidate? Who did they think he is, Donald Trump, or someone else with balls and integrity?

Trump has yet to commit to taking part in the debate, and last week he said he wouldn’t sign such a pledge in an interview in which he criticized rivals Christie, Hutchinson and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis by name. “I wouldn’t sign the pledge,” Trump said on Newsmax. “Why would I sign a pledge if there are people on there that I wouldn’t have?”

Christie said he was not surprised that Trump has neither committed to the debate or the pledge yet. “He plays misdirection all the time,” he said.

The misdirection is Christie saying "no one has presented it." No doubt one of those technically true, but misleading statements. He may have asked staff not to show it to him so he could give that answer. It may be on his desk right in front of him, but no one has come in to open the envelope and present it to him. So it is not such a mystery:

“I affirm that if I do not win the 2024 Republican nomination for President of the United States, I will honor the will of the primary voters and support the nominee in order to save our country and beat Joe Biden,” reads the pledge, according to copies shared online by some of the candidates.

The pledge is a dumb idea, at least the requirement to sign it to be allowed to debate. Keeping Trump out of the debate means virtually no one will watch it. We're talking CNN-like ratings.

Democrats won't care without Trump to obsess over and why would GOP voters want to watch Republicans who hate Trump debate Republicans who want to be Trump's VP while the DeSantis debates the moderator?
Hang it up Chris. They are quietly telling you that you haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of going any further.

If you think Christie has a chance of winning the nomination, I have a bridge to sell you. By the way, it's the bridge where Christie blocked traffic in an act of revenge against a political enemy.

He should say he’ll never endorse Trump . What does he have to lose?!

He should say he’ll never endorse Trump . What does he have to lose?!
Exactly. Nobody thinks he is one of the ones looking for the VP slot, and Trump didn't hesitate to refuse to endorse him.

If Christie is afraid of mean tweets from Trump, how's he gonna handle Xi? Same way Biden does?

It will be funny to watch how many of these who signed the loyalty pledge will fully support Trump in 2024.

It will be funny to watch how many of these who signed the loyalty pledge will fully support Trump in 2024.
Yes, and the excuses that they will make not to keep their pledge. It will be a mix of Trump didn't sign it so he doesn't count and "I would have but _______________ has happened since I signed."

Very few. If GOP candidate wins, no pardon for Trump will be forthcoming. What would be in it for whoever is the president to pardon Trump?

Very few. If GOP candidate wins, no pardon for Trump will be forthcoming. What would be in it for whoever is the president to pardon Trump?

Forum List

Back