Chinese Tourists Demand Not to Be Recorded in London

Really?

Sounds like there isn't an absolute right to film in public.

At least in the US.

In the UK

If you intend to film on public land, you should check if you require permission from the appropriate local authority or council. They are responsible for public land, public buildings, roads and parking. The UK screen agencies can help you get in touch with the appropriate local authority contact.

That's for commercial filming, not private. If you can't understand the difference, we're probably done here, you're too stupid to continue with.

Again, it's rude to film people without their permission. I don't know if this guy had a permit or not, because I don't know UK Law. I know US law is very strict on getting permits in public places.

Wouldn't know, don't know anyone from the CCP. They are probably already upset I am helping my Chinese wife get legal residency.
Dude, no one is filming them. They walked in while the filming is in progress. The point is moot since filming in public is legal. These commies argument is pathetic. No one is using their image for monetary gain. No one would bat an eye about them had they STFU and move along. They asked for this confrontation and they got it. Whether they did this deliberately because of a directive from higher up remains unknown.

So weird. JUST GO ABOUT YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS, YOU COMMIE WEIRDOS.

These are the people who did FOOTBINDING to their women. Look up that crazy shit.

Fuck the CCP.

The foot binding was only for the wives of the monarchy.
Not the general public, and certainly not for the CCP that got rid of the monarchy.

Can you please link to this "law" that requires a permit to record a personal video in a public place?

I recorded videos all over the UK and Ireland, and I was never asked to get a permit.

Technically you can have your recording device confiscated.
The reason is not that it is illegal to record, but that it is illegal to publish the recording without copyright permission.
So they can have their privacy rights restored by erasing their images from your device.

That fact everyone is ignoring the law these days, does not change the law.
When people publish those "karen" videos on the Internet, they are violating copyright laws.

List a law that was broken during this incident.

{...
While the rules of the internet can seem murky, it is unlawful for anyone to post images or videos of you or your family on a social media platform without your consent. Each platform has its own privacy policy with its own rules, but there are several ways you can get control if the pictures or videos are yours, including claiming invasion of privacy, defamation, or a violation of your right to publicity.
...}

There is not just one law, but a whole bunch of laws that control privacy, copyrights, etc.
The rule of thumb is that if they have not made themselves a public figure, then they own the copyrights of their own image, and you cannot publish it without consent.

Dude, no one is filming them. They walked in while the filming is in progress. The point is moot since filming in public is legal. These commies argument is pathetic. No one is using their image for monetary gain. No one would bat an eye about them had they STFU and move along. They asked for this confrontation and they got it. Whether they did this deliberately because of a directive from higher up remains unknown.

I agree they not only over reacted, but were being abusively hostile.
However, they are correct within the law, which is that you do need to get permission.
The exceptions are when it is a public figure some how, like a move star or cop.
Another legal case is if it is just for evidence, and you intend to delete it instead of publishing it.

That's for commercial filming, not private. If you can't understand the difference, we're probably done here, you're too stupid to continue with.

If you put it on the internet, that is considered commercial publishing, even if no money is involved.
The fact everyone often violates the law on the internet, does not mean it is still not illegal technically.

Last edited:
LOL! Your surrender is accepted.

You're going to have to go back to your CCP bosses and tell them you lost this one. Good luck!
These ladies will have a pretty good case for defamation and invasion of privacy against this guy.

Check out the libel laws in the UK. There's a reason why Tom Cruise keeps filing libel cases in the UK.

If you don’t want to be filmed, don’t stand in front of the camera.

Duh!

While I agree they over reacted, they still are sort of right to be offended by how rude people are to take videos of people in the US and the UK, without first asking permission.

These ladies will have a pretty good case for defamation and invasion of privacy against this guy.

Check out the libel laws in the UK. There's a reason why Tom Cruise keeps filing libel cases in the UK.

And the US, Japan, etc.
I used to be a journalist stringer, and no newspaper, TV station, etc., would ever put up video without written permission.
In Japan they almost always fuzz the faces of women, children, etc.
The fact it is common in the US internet, does not mean its legal.
It is just hard to do anything about because no one enforces the law on the internet.

That is communism. They dictate YOU CANNOT FILM.

It is not even a thought to just keep on going with their lives and ignore the camera and keep walking, or walk around the camera.

SO BIZARRE.

And the US, Japan, etc.
I used to be a journalist stringer, and no newspaper, TV station, etc., would ever put up video without written permission.
In Japan they almost always fuzz the faces of women, children, etc.
The fact it is common in the US internet, does not mean its legal.
It is just hard to do anything about because no one enforces the law on the internet.
I guess that these women will collect every nasty email they end up getting and charge this guy with emotional distress for outing them on-line.

Forum List

Back