Chinese Tourists Demand Not to Be Recorded in London

We should definitely be more like China. 🤡

Imagine living that way. Holy shit.

Actually, we already are.

This is why you have to get releases from everyone who appears in a video. That's why when you watch a video like an episode of Cops, they often blur out the faces of people who didn't sign releases to appear in your video.

Why should you get a signed video release form? Media companies and TV networks get a video release form signed so they will not be sued by someone who appears in a video. If you watch a Discovery, Cops or other TV show with “real people” rather than actors, you will often see a face that has been blurred. This has been done because that person did not sign a release and network did not want the risk of a lawsuit.

This risk is very small, but still possible, for smaller scale productions. But if there’s any chance the video could ever be sent to a distributor, TV show, film festival or other contest, releases will be required. And of course, in the event of a lawsuit, a release is extremely helpful.

"I don't give permission to record me (even though I'm in the distant background and no one would recognize me if I didn't approach you and minded my own business)"

So weird. JUST GO ABOUT YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS, YOU COMMIE WEIRDOS.

These are the people who did FOOTBINDING to their women. Look up that crazy shit.

Fuck the CCP.

So to review...

A guy takes a video in a public place, probably without a permit.

Some passerbys ask him not to use their images in the video.

He starts ranting at them about their nationality, even though under the laws of his country, he should be getting signed releases.

A police officer stops by and tells him to stop acting like an ass.

The officer had a point, he was being kind of an ass, to people who were voicing their legitimate concerns about not being recorded without their permission.
1. Not illegal to be an ass.

2. They walked into the camera shot. If you dont want to be on camera, dont walk in front of it.

So to review...

You dont need a permit to record in public. If you did half the western world would be getting fined every day.
Some passersby walked up and stood in the camera shot and then cried that they were on camera. Here's an idea. Take 2 steps left or right and you're not on camera.
He starts ranting at them about their nationality, even though under the laws of his country, he should be getting signed releases.

He told them they weren't in China and that the rules in China don't apply here. He didn't say anything about their nationality, just told them where they were geographically.

Not the PO's job.

The officer had a point, he was being kind of an ass, to people who were voicing their legitimate concerns about not being recorded without their permission.

Not really, if they didn't want to be recorded why didn't they just walk out of the camera view as opposed to getting into a drawn out discussion in front of the camera?
The guys point to the officer is visitors from other countries should show respect for the country they are guests in. And such actions would would not be tolerated from visitors in China.

That isnt a legitimate complaint. You have no expectation of privacy when you are in public. They started a fight with a guy who did absolutely nothing wrong in a legal sense, nor was he acting innappropriately in an ethical sense. He was literally just filming himself playing the piano.

So to review...

As usual you are totally out in left field on this

You can try legal hair-splitting over waivers and permission to film but the fact is that the chinese approached the pianist and placed themselves in his video in a public place where privacy is not guaranteed

You will argue otherwise so that cant be settled

But what cant be argued is that the Ugly Chinese have replaced the Ugly Americans from the 1950’s when boorish American tourists traveled all over the world insulting and alienating the locals

A little humility would have served the communist regime in Beijing much better

That isnt a legitimate complaint. You have no expectation of privacy when you are in public. They started a fight with a guy who did absolutely nothing wrong in a legal sense, nor was he acting innappropriately in an ethical sense. He was literally just filming himself playing the piano.
Read post #3. There is not an absolute right to film people without their permission, much less use their images.

And he was being kind of an asshole. Or maybe just British.

So to review...

Can you please link to this "law" that requires a permit to record a personal video in a public place?

I recorded videos all over the UK and Ireland, and I was never asked to get a permit.

Forum List

Back