Chickens!

Dammit. This is the only evidence to the crime in question. Ex hubby found it, showed it to everyone early this morning, then.....gasp....ATE it! Our very first egg. And I was still asleep to miss it.
He said FINDERS KEEPERS and the egg eating grin on his face was very provoking :tongue:

9gzr0n.jpg

He's a booger. BUT...Athena laid another egg this afternoon. That one is mine. It's in the fridge for tomorrow's breakfast. :lol:

I actually agreed to go to dinner OUT last night. Been years since I've done that. So we all went over to the waterfront to the restaurant I've always loved, had a nice dinner, brought left overs home and gave it to the chickens. We got back just as they were heading into their coop for night night but when they saw me coming with a big bag, they knew I had treats. So they all came down the plank and greeted me at the gate. I dumped piles of left over salad, hush puppies, french fries, fruit, dinner roll pieces and cut up watermelon. It was gone in 15 minutes, lol. Our reward was 2 more eggs.

I cleaned out their cage this morning, gave them fresh shavings, rakes up their poo and let them out of the cage and they are now happily wandering the back yard grass eating bugs.

One..Athena...is so smart. She has laid 2 of the eggs so far. She is also the biggest. Smart chicky, Athena is.

Just about! I had some leftover strawberries in the fridge and took them out there just now. They gobbled them up. Only thing I won't give them is meat products or leftover meat or fish. Just breads and fruits and veggies. Any "meat" they get is in the form of bugs, worms, spiders. They eat very well. Y'all know me and animals by now. They are coddled.
It's a bit nippy today, so I'm going to put an old blanket on the back of the coop section cuz it's against the shed but there is a small gap where wind can get in. I want them toasty warm in their nests so I'm going to do that in a little bit. Right now, they are free in the back yard happily kicking and scratching some grass....and some already took their dirt bath in the sand next to the apple tree. They are going to be so happy later on when the apples start to fall from the tree. Yum!

THe dogs were in there with them earlier....3 dogs, 5 chickens, all happily sniffing, snuffling, bruking. :)

The people ex bought them from said those folks had everything. Ducks, llamas, goats, sheep, chickens galore, cows, pigs. D (ex's nephew) said the llama drooled all over his shirt.
I said he was lucky it didn't spit on him since they are known to do that, lol.

Chickens do well if you can give them milk.

A little bit of meat here and there is good. Chickens can and will eat anything in the wild. They do not restrict themselves to bugs and grains...they eat grass, rotting carcasses, shit....you name it. Snakes...they eat snakes.

BTW, your ex has all the attributes of an egg sucker, lol...and once an egg sucker, always an egg sucker...true of dogs and humans!

lol. I'm gonna tell him you said he was an egg sucker. :lol:
The roomies all know to check the strawberries as soon as they start to ripen cuz Ex goes out there and eats them before anyone else can get them. He is a booger egg sucker. :tongue:

Milk? Really? I will take some out there for them then. I loves my chickies!!! Best idea I ever had. I really enjoy them.

Yeah, they love milk. And they'll love curdled milk, spoiled milk, cottage cheese...it's all good for them.

We had milk cows and goats, and we always fed our hens milk. We had a special pan for it in the chicken house, and they gobbled it!!!

I'll give them some tomorrow.
Meanwhile, 6 eggs since last sunday! And, they discovered the door that leads into the house, plus shredded some of my plants, so I had to built their own enclosure outside of the enclosure so they have more freedom. They have the whole back half yard and they can scratch and peck to their little hearts content. Giving them free reign anywhere just didn't cut it. I blame 'Thena. She is a smarty pants chicken. Very smart. Queen of the coop. I swear that chicken is an old soul. She tells me when eggs are ready. She does a very loud BRAWWWK for about 4 minutes. I go look, and voila. Egg. She's the one that found the door to the bedroom too. So we closed it. And what did she do? She just stood there for about half an hour. Watching the door. I thought she was waiting for me to come out cuz I always bring her goodies but nope. She was watching the doggy door to see how it worked. And she figured it out. So..this morning, they got their own yard. Complete. Dogs can't get in, they can't get out. But they have shade, sun, grass, shrubs, ice plant to dig up, trees to peck and the apple tree when it starts to drop apples. They be happy campers and so is Mama. (me).

I thought someone else made the quote about why a bird sings! I could be wrong but it seems I have read that before and it was by someone else. Oh well, it's a good quote

I just googled Bird Quotes and that one popped up. Loved it, so took it. Never heard of Lou Holtz.

I actually agreed to go to dinner OUT last night. Been years since I've done that. So we all went over to the waterfront to the restaurant I've always loved, had a nice dinner, brought left overs home and gave it to the chickens. We got back just as they were heading into their coop for night night but when they saw me coming with a big bag, they knew I had treats. So they all came down the plank and greeted me at the gate. I dumped piles of left over salad, hush puppies, french fries, fruit, dinner roll pieces and cut up watermelon. It was gone in 15 minutes, lol. Our reward was 2 more eggs.

I cleaned out their cage this morning, gave them fresh shavings, rakes up their poo and let them out of the cage and they are now happily wandering the back yard grass eating bugs.

One..Athena...is so smart. She has laid 2 of the eggs so far. She is also the biggest. Smart chicky, Athena is.
Geez. They're chickens, not hogs !
On a note about the milk thang. They need a calcium replacement and the best way to do that is save all of your shells, wash them and let them dry. Take a few and crumble them in the feed before you fill up the feeder.
I use that and add whole yellow corn to their diet for those rich orangy yolks. It also seem to make the boiled eggs easier to peel. Why I don't know. I suppose the shell is thicker ?

Forum List

Back