Chickens!

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
I supervised cuz I couldn't swing the hammer or hold the drill...but the coop is almost done. Tomorrow it will be. Ex and one roomie built it with my brain plans on how I wanted it to look. So in a few days..we will be having 4 chickens out there. THIS time, they will be enclosed, wings clipped so they don't roost in the trees, nor be able to come visiting me in my bedroom:lol:.

Fresh eggs!

• Banned
Ill take a pic now of the semi built mess the guys left. But remember it isnt done yet. Last ones I had, they so quietly brawwwwk'd, I would sit out there under the tree with them and coo back to them. All 5 wound up on my lap. Then they found my open bedroom door. Not good, lol.

brb with pic before it gets too dark out there.

• Banned
4kzs6.jpg

2n7322g.jpg

I supervised cuz I couldn't swing the hammer or hold the drill...but the coop is almost done. Tomorrow it will be. Ex and one roomie built it with my brain plans on how I wanted it to look. So in a few days..we will be having 4 chickens out there. THIS time, they will be enclosed, wings clipped so they don't roost in the trees, nor be able to come visiting me in my bedroom:lol:.

Fresh eggs!

Nice Work Grace. Good Luck with that. ;)

Fresh eggs!

Very nice, but watch out for the coons. They're evil little buggers. I've seen them kill chickens just for the fun of it.

Very cool! Will they stay in that all the time or only at night?
No, when I'm in the yard, I will let them out to peck around the yard. But at dusk, night night time. They go in their coop which will be latched until the morning. Rats, possums, night birds might get them.

That's some first class carpentry. We had chickens when we lived in country but couldn't keep the coyotes, raccoons, and stray dogs out so we had to get rid of them.

When we had the 5 biddies, the dogs AND the cat were very protective of them. At first the cat thought BIRD!!!! BIRD!!!!!! until she realize BIRD was twice her size. Then it was yawn, not interested. :lol:
They will be safe at night. Plus the dogs have doggie doors from my bedroom door to ex's bedroom door to outside door. I have doggie doors all over the place. And kitty is a night prowler. Anything comes in the yard that doesn't belong there that she can't handle herself, she comes flying thru those doggie doors meowing and the rest of the pack flattens her to get out there to see whats up. Once, it was a skunk. :eek:

We used to train all our kittens and pups by taking them up to a banty hen with chicks. It only took once and that animal would never chase chickens, lol.

Thank goodness my critters know about chickens now from that last batch we had. In fact, I think they all know what the plan is with this coop. They were out there all day with us, looking behind the shed and up in the trees. When I made the soft brawk bruk sounds, they were wagging their tails and looking all over the yard for them. So they know what's comin' soon. :)

Hey Grace - hope you don't live in NJ.

A New Jersey town has adopted an ordinance that regulates when chickens and roosters can hook up in backyard henhouses.

Roosters must show they're disease-free and they better not crow about their conquests.

Hopewell Township residents can have up to a half-dozen hens on half-acre lots. Roosters would be allowed only 10 days a year for fertilization purposes. Mature roosters are not allowed because they're too noisy. Any roosters that crow too long can be banned from the property for two years.

Mayor Jim Burd told The Times of Trenton the ordinance is a compromise between today's lifestyle and the township's agricultural history.

NJ Town Limits When Roosters, Hens Can Hook Up - New Jersey 101.5 FM

A chicken sex law? You can't make this shit up. :lol:

No roosters. I don't want baby chicks running around. I just want the fresh eggs!
I'm in california. Can't have big critters here, but chickens are ok and the people down the street don't have chickens but they have pet ducks that waddle around in their front yard. Actually, some people have shetland ponies in their yards as pets so I could be wrong about the big critter thing. But I'll be happy with just the chickens. :)

Forum List

Back