Chickens!

I supervised cuz I couldn't swing the hammer or hold the drill...but the coop is almost done. Tomorrow it will be. Ex and one roomie built it with my brain plans on how I wanted it to look. So in a few days..we will be having 4 chickens out there. THIS time, they will be enclosed, wings clipped so they don't roost in the trees, nor be able to come visiting me in my bedroom:lol:.

Fresh eggs!

I'm so JEEELOUS!

Mr. Boe vetoed my plans for a chicken coop in the backyard.

I supervised cuz I couldn't swing the hammer or hold the drill...but the coop is almost done. Tomorrow it will be. Ex and one roomie built it with my brain plans on how I wanted it to look. So in a few days..we will be having 4 chickens out there. THIS time, they will be enclosed, wings clipped so they don't roost in the trees, nor be able to come visiting me in my bedroom:lol:.

Fresh eggs!

I'm so JEEELOUS!

Mr. Boe vetoed my plans for a chicken coop in the backyard.

I'm adding a small coop this summer. it's something i've always wanted to do.

AAAACCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

Now you are making me even More JEELOUSSSS!!!!

Mr Boe vetoed my plans because he (very correctly) concluded that he would be the one cleaning the coop and doing the unpleasant tasks.

I just want to feed the chickens and collect the eggs.

AAAACCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

Now you are making me even More JEELOUSSSS!!!!

Mr Boe vetoed my plans because he (very correctly) concluded that he would be the one cleaning the coop and doing the unpleasant tasks.

I just want to feed the chickens and collect the eggs.

does he know about maintaining chickens? They are very easy. you need to provide fresh water and fairly regular food. They will forage their own easily. Cleaning is nothing. rake the coop once a week and toss it in a compost pile. They are about the easiest animal to maintain. there aren't many unpleasant task when caring for chickens. especially not a few. the biggest problem is pulling the eggs. you have to keep on top of them

Not much cleaning to do, Boe. They peck everything in sight. Just toss the feed and left over meals (salads and whatnot), and the only thing to rake is what poo they have in there..which isnt much because they kick and scratch all the time and it goes flying everywhere. Which means the dogs get their snacks, lol. Their nesting area they keep pretty neat. I plan to just keep addin straw now and then to keep it fluffy for them. For all I know, the bale I will have underneath the coop will be kick and scratched to make nests UNDER the coop. Their water bowl is in the corner, so I can fill it easily with the hose.
Mine is big, but there are LOTS of small coops. Or, if you dont have a lot of floral gardens or veggie gardens, you can just let them run around free and they will choose their own nesting areas under a table or behind a tree.

The last ones I had, I herded in their coop at night so I could shut the door til the morning (no top that was fenced, no cut wings). They went willingly at dusk. And it was small compared to this one. Like the size of a dog house.

Not much cleaning to do, Boe. They peck everything in sight. Just toss the feed and left over meals (salads and whatnot), and the only thing to rake is what poo they have in there..which isnt much because they kick and scratch all the time and it goes flying everywhere. Which means the dogs get their snacks, lol. Their nesting area they keep pretty neat. I plan to just keep addin straw now and then to keep it fluffy for them. For all I know, the bale I will have underneath the coop will be kick and scratched to make nests UNDER the coop. Their water bowl is in the corner, so I can fill it easily with the hose.
Mine is big, but there are LOTS of small coops. Or, if you dont have a lot of floral gardens or veggie gardens, you can just let them run around free and they will choose their own nesting areas under a table or behind a tree.

The last ones I had, I herded in their coop at night so I could shut the door til the morning (no top that was fenced, no cut wings). They went willingly at dusk. And it was small compared to this one. Like the size of a dog house.
hey you hit 200 :clap2:

It's the poo cleaning bit, no matter how much, that's a deal breaker for Mr. Boe.

:(

Finally! Took me 5 months, give or take. lol

Finally! Took me 5 months, give or take. lol

heck in like a year i only have 155. so you did really good

It's the poo cleaning bit, no matter how much, that's a deal breaker for Mr. Boe.

Poo is small. Like a seagulls. Tell Mr. Boe to suck it up and get a long handled rake. :lol:
Do you have dogs? Then no worries. To them, its as tasty as the tootsie rolls in the litter box the cat leaves behind. :tongue:

but it's not like real poo. like a dog.

Chickens ain't as dumb as ya think...

... whenever Granny goes out to feed the chickens...

... she says...

... "Here chickie chick chick chick"...

... an' dey all come runnin...

... `cause dey know she got the chick feed.
:lol:

Thats what my first flock did, Waltky. They followed me everywhere.

Ew. I don't like the idea of my dogs eating chicken crap. That's just nasty.

I love chickens, but remember they harbour salmonella. Our calendar from the feed store this year is a chicken calendar and has all sorts of cool stuff about poultry operations...

t5hjes.jpg

Bruk bruuuuuuk! Got 5!

They have to get used to the place, so I'm guessing it will be a few days before they settle in. They were free range...dude caught them with a net. But for being free range, they sure are mellow. The biggest brown hen I dubbed Goddess. She is smart. The ladder up to their coop was not good enough. They slid around it (dog ramp). So I made a wooden one with bars of wood across it for toe holds. I used Goddess for experimentation. I tap the ramp, she is the one that came to see. The higher I tapped, the more she got curious. Once inside the coop (which now has pine shavings in it), she explored and wanted to just jump out. Instead, I tapped the ramp again. She looked at me, waited a sec, thought about it, decided to see what I was tapping. And she walked all the way down it. I like her. I have renamed her Athena, since she is a goddess.

Athena is far right side of the pen near the water bowl. Big bird. Smart.
Ex brought them home uncaged, in the back of his truck in the camper shell. When he got here, he opened the back window and they came to him and he just scooped them up with his hands. I held each one before they were put in the pen and coo'd to them with my own bruk bruk. Athena, I held longer. She's very cool.

Forum List

Back