Chickens!

I want 4 hens. The place I plan to get them said they yield 4 eggs per day (I guess 1 each). Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. I know they won't lay until they are comfortable in their new surroundings so it might take a week or so.

I want 4 hens. The place I plan to get them said they yield 4 eggs per day (I guess 1 each). Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. I know they won't lay until they are comfortable in their new surroundings so it might take a week or so.

More than likely they want produce any for the first week or until they are settled in to their new home.

I don't know what they will be yet Sparky. I would like rhode island reds because I love brown eggs, but I don't know if the gal has them.

Meanwhile...we got the coop done where they will nest. Got the "yard" where they will be when I am not outside to keep them out of my potted plants. It should be finished tomorrow. I hope. Gotta add the chicken wire. We ran out of wood too, so we used what we had. It ain't pretty, but it's going to be sturdy!!

21jvlus.jpg

jl44jt.jpg

I'm quite proud of myself. I acutally used a post hole digger to get the 2x4's buried but then my wrist started throbbing, so I stopped after I got about 10 inches out of there and the rest, I scooped out with my left hand. Everything is screwed in and sunk in the ground. Tomorrow...the top frame will be put on, then comes the fun part. The wire.:eek:

The gate, we found on the side of the road. The coop is extra sheets of wood we had when we built the other bedroom. Some of the wood is also left over picket fence, lol. We are making due with what we can scrounge. The wire is old but still useable. The ladder the hens will use to get in the nest box is a doggie ramp to get in a vehicle..found at a yard sale in a free pile they had.
So..it's a mish mash of stuff.
Only thing brand new is the 2x4's as the frame.

Last edited:
I'm quite proud of myself. I acutally used a post hole digger to get the 2x4's buried but then my wrist started throbbing, so I stopped after I got about 10 inches out of there and the rest, I scooped out with my left hand. Everything is screwed in and sunk in the ground. Tomorrow...the top frame will be put on, then comes the fun part. The wire.:eek:

is that lumber pressure treated or did you put it in cement?

Neither. Those are 10 foot 2x4's. They aren't going anywhere. Especially once screwed to the top beams. Usually I would have cemented them in, but he and I are both getting to old for this shit so we are cutting corners.

Neither. Those are 10 foot 2x4's. They aren't going anywhere. Especially once screwed to the top beams. Usually I would have cemented them in, but he and I are both getting to old for this shit so we are cutting corners.

the only thing you risk is rotting. depending how wet your soil is, non treated 2 x 4's could rot in a few years. pressure treated would give you a lot more. i'd ad least buy a can of thompsons and soak the part that's in the ground in it.

I'll be dead or hopefully moved in a few years so I ain't gonna worry about it. lol

I don't know what they will be yet Sparky. I would like rhode island reds because I love brown eggs, but I don't know if the gal has them.

Meanwhile...we got the coop done where they will nest. Got the "yard" where they will be when I am not outside to keep them out of my potted plants. It should be finished tomorrow. I hope. Gotta add the chicken wire. We ran out of wood too, so we used what we had. It ain't pretty, but it's going to be sturdy!!

21jvlus.jpg

jl44jt.jpg

the Chicken Hilton Grace , grand job.

dunno if you've ever seen Murray McMurry's>

Murray McMurray Hatchery

here's some New Hampshire reds>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=66w1EIrIWlk#t=62s
git yerself a free catalog, and git 'er done!

Last edited:
Still working on the coop. Ex is working all this week at his job and I can't do it myself, so I have to wait til this weekend. Frame is up. Only thing left is the wire to be added. Then comes the bale of hay for their bed, the feed, then the chickens.
I look forward to getting them. Their soft bruk bruks are cool. :)

All done! Only thing left to get is a bale of hay for their beds, the feed, and the chickens! If ex is not too tired after getting off work, he will go get what needs getting...then I will take another pic and it will be complete. :)

15yut0j.jpg

The dog and cat eagerly await their new friends as you can see in this one:

2epoep0.jpg

I want to put some plank hither and yon along the top, though. I know coons will be walking around up there so I want them to have a platform to walk on instead of the wire.

Forum List

Back