Chickens!

I actually agreed to go to dinner OUT last night. Been years since I've done that. So we all went over to the waterfront to the restaurant I've always loved, had a nice dinner, brought left overs home and gave it to the chickens. We got back just as they were heading into their coop for night night but when they saw me coming with a big bag, they knew I had treats. So they all came down the plank and greeted me at the gate. I dumped piles of left over salad, hush puppies, french fries, fruit, dinner roll pieces and cut up watermelon. It was gone in 15 minutes, lol. Our reward was 2 more eggs.

I cleaned out their cage this morning, gave them fresh shavings, rakes up their poo and let them out of the cage and they are now happily wandering the back yard grass eating bugs.

One..Athena...is so smart. She has laid 2 of the eggs so far. She is also the biggest. Smart chicky, Athena is.
Geez. They're chickens, not hogs !
On a note about the milk thang. They need a calcium replacement and the best way to do that is save all of your shells, wash them and let them dry. Take a few and crumble them in the feed before you fill up the feeder.
I use that and add whole yellow corn to their diet for those rich orangy yolks. It also seem to make the boiled eggs easier to peel. Why I don't know. I suppose the shell is thicker ?

They didn't like the hushpuppies. I found them buried in the sane when I raked. They like lettuce and watermellon. Not so crazy about the strawberries.
I bought some clam(?) shells at the farm supply. They said to mix it in the food. I like your idea better, Douger. Thanks for the tip!

It has been 1 week today since we got the 5 hens. And in that one week, we got 22 eggs! All brown.

Wooowhoooo!

It has been 1 week today since we got the 5 hens. And in that one week, we got 22 eggs! All brown.

Wooowhoooo!

Happy much?? ~LoL~
I'm happy for you...that you got brown eggs...but I don't like eggs really, especially brown eggs.
I can't bring myself to eat them *blech*...I know it sounds crazy and all, but eggs do come out of a chicken's ass!
Ok...so they have 2 holes up inside there somewhere, but I read the truth, and eggs do exit out of the chicken's ass...nope, sorry, can not eat those ~LoL~

I just took the neighbor half a dozen eggs cuz the 18 hole carton was full and these were the left overs. Only 3 in their family, so that's 2 eggs each for tomorrow's breakfast. He got back from Iraq last year...when he answered the door, I was shocked. He has lost over 100 lbs. I knew he was injured over there but I don't know to what extent, but when I showed him the eggs, his eyes lit up. I told him I'd bring him more soon as the ladies ring the Egg Bell (loud BRAWWWWWWWKs) and he said that would be great.

I gotta take some to the other side neighbors too. 4 in that family, so I'll collect a dozen to take to them. Which should be about 3 days of Egg Bell ringings. Blondie laid 3 today all by herself. The other four ladies were busy shredding the grass and eating bugs I guess. heh.

I love eggs. And these? Soooo good. The yolk is so yellow, too. Not that pastel sad looking yellow you get at the market.

I am quite pleased with them. I rake their inside coop yard every other day, and the outside coop yard twice a week. Their nest area, every day just to get the poo out, which isn't as much as I thought would be. They are pretty clean ladies and don't want to foul (pun intended) their own nests I guess. And giving us eggs?Oh, they are layers all right. Too many for us to eat, that's for sure. So both sides neighbors will get some every once in awhile.
I'm glad we got them. They even let me pet them now while they eat their lettuce. They are very good girls. :)

I havent't tried that, but they sure love bananas!!!! They are spoiled rotten. Tomorrow, since I am pain free for awhile, I plan to redo their coop. The door is too big. I want it smaller so they stay warmer at night. I worry about my ladies.

We have chickens in our backyard now. They belong to our neighbors and they've found away under the fence. It's actually one chicken and 5 chicks. They're really cute. Our dog and cat just stare at them.

We have chickens in our backyard now. They belong to our neighbors and they've found away under the fence. It's actually one chicken and 5 chicks. They're really cute. Our dog and cat just stare at them.

What? no pics? :)

AND i am still waiting for pics of the chickens from you too grace! :lol:

Forum List

Back