Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

Teacher Salaries by State - Employment Spot

Hey rdean!
YOUR Dem playground is failing your children!
Why do Dem's hate children?

Why do Republicans pro-create with their siblings?
:dunno:
For the same reason anyone else does?

Last edited:
Anybody wanna defend this?
" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

Chicago Teachers Union Demands 30 Percent Pay Raise
-------

Them wanting a raise? Sure, I'll defend that. I want a raise too. Chances are all who are reading this would like one as well.

I doubt they'll get it and are strongly overplaying their hand. But wanting it and doing things within the law to get it? Sure. No problem with that.

CaféAuLait;5439029 said:
Correct. And the officials who were elected by the tax payers AGREED to it!

But, sure, blame the teachers for wanting a better life for themselves and their families. That's good values right there.

But it can't possibly be greed when they have one of the highest pay rates in the country, shortest work weeks and a near 50 percent failure rate? Demanding pay higher than the rest of the nation’s teachers (see chart above they are one of the highest paid states already) while working significantly less and not being able to teach properly because of the shorter hours demanded. The mayor states they have to pick and choose what to teach because of how short the days are. Of course it reflects upon the teachers IMO.

They're paid more because Illinois, Chicago especially, is an expensive place to live. Look at that list from your link. Top 5 are: California, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey and New York. All expensive places. Comparing Chicago's salaries to North Dakota is like comparing apples to a llama.

Chicago did not even make Kiplinger’s 10 or Forbes top ten lists of most expensive cities. In fact they are paid more than the most expensive cities.

America's most expensive places to live - MSN Real Estate

10 U.S. Cities With the Highest Cost of Living

:lol: I am IN a UC union,now, a public sector cali union, hello.

becasue they were under worked or overpaid to start with and, again, there is NO money......for god sakes. we are borrowing 40 cents pf every $ we spend now, what the Fed gov,. should float salaries for public sector unions? No one ponied up when I got canned and they should not be expected too.

And again ... you sound jealous.

Given the historically low interest rates, borrowing money to cover salaries would be great for the economy. Stop being emotional for a second and think about it.

don't be stupid.

you are ignoring what I am saying in substance, cherry picking snippets and taking them out of context.

I never excepted nor is it a good idea for the taxpayers via the fed gov. to pick up state budget items, or private ind. period.

low borrowing rates, so you do believe its the feds job to pay public sector salaries of states how have cornered themselves, even if it means borrowing to do it, hey we did that, remember? when does it end? ... you do know that Illinois is on the ropes right? we the fed is out of money and yet, just borrow more...more more more....you're intellectually bankrupt, thats what that says.

REALITY has everything to do with it....

If you wanted to discuss reality, then you would admit that interest rates are historically low and ANY government in the country could borrow at historically low rates. Also, if you wanted to stay in reality, you would admit that in times of severe economic recession and/or high unemployment, allowing people to take pay cuts or lay offs, instead of borrowing, is a sure fire way to make matters worse.

But you don't want to be in reality do you? You just want to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you.

" It takes a lot of nerve to ask for a 30 percent pay raise. You’d better be sure you had a banner year. Yet in Chicago, where just 15 percent of fourth graders are proficient in reading (and just 56 percent of students graduate), the teachers union is set to strike if the district does not agree to a 30 percent increase in teachers’ salaries.

The average teacher in Chicago Public Schools—a district facing a $700 million deficit—makes $71,000 per year before benefits are included. If the district meets union demands and rewards teachers with the requested salary increase, education employees will receive compensation north of $92,000 per year.

According to the Illinois Policy Institute, the average annual income of a family in Chicago is $47,000 per year. If implemented, the 30 percent raise will mean that in nine months, a single teacher in the Chicago Public School system will take home nearly double what the average family in the city earns in a year.

According to the union, 91 percent of its members voted for the ability to strike. That vote gives the union the ability to walk out of public school classrooms as children return to school this fall.

The union argues that Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) wants to extend the school day, and that the requested salary increase would compensate them for extending the school day from 5.5 hours—among the nation’s shortest school days—to 7.5 hours. Chicago Public Schools states that under the extended school day:

On average teachers will provide 5.5 hours of instruction (an increase of 54 minutes), receive a 45-minute duty-free lunch and 60-minute prep period and supervise the passing period. They will also be required to be on-site for 10 minutes before and after school.
While the union bemoans the longer school day and is demanding a hefty pay raise as a result, taxpayers will be left holding the bill for a 30 percent salary increase and wondering whether $92,000 is appropriate compensation for public school employees. "

-------

I don't live in or pay taxes in Illinois. So why should I care?

I'll just say its funny how the right whines about non-existent double digit inflation and then doesn't think it right to raise people's pay along with it.

wtf does that have to do with paying teachers over $90,000 plus benefits for crap results like that?????

if you have to ask you probably wouldnt understand the explaination.

That being said PM me a link to your tardis build LOL

CaféAuLait;5439075 said:
According to CBSalary.com, the average teacher salary by city was as follows:

Springfield, IL – $48,015
Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

Teacher Salaries by State - Employment Spot

And there is the proof there. They make on average 10,000 to 15,000 thousand MORE than the rest of the country and work 10 hours less per week with an abysmal failure rate.

Than the rest of the country?

They don't get paid more than I do. I'm in the country, aren't I?

I've no clue where you are, but that list Dean posted above shows Chicago, on average, is paid the most.

CaféAuLait;5439132 said:
CaféAuLait;5439075 said:
And there is the proof there. They make on average 10,000 to 15,000 thousand MORE than the rest of the country and work 10 hours less per week with an abysmal failure rate.

I've no clue where you are, but that list Dean posted above shows Chicago, on average, is paid the most.

And?

Vouchers.

Vouchers are just government handouts to private entities. In Ruston Louisiana a private school is about to take on 314 voucher students as part of the states new program - the "instruction" at the school mostly involves sitting the students in front of TV's and having them watch educational DVD's. Its just a warehouse to put kids in while raking in taxpayer dollars in the form of tuition. The better private schools choose not to participate, so that in the end you have the choice between a shitty public school and a wack job crazy private school.

you sir, are ignorant.

Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action

My 15 year old had alot of trouble in school over the years. we tried everything. Special classes, tutors, changed schools to charter schools and finally a private school...NOTHING worked until I finally got tough with him ( weve covered that in another thread )

Now he goes to public school again ( saves me a ton of money ) and is on the honor roll.

Vouchers wont fix the problem with our schools. PARENTS will.

WE, parents, need to stop coddling our kids and DEMAND better performance from them. Its OUR responsibility. Not the schools.

Last edited:
And again ... you sound jealous.

Given the historically low interest rates, borrowing money to cover salaries would be great for the economy. Stop being emotional for a second and think about it.

don't be stupid.

you are ignoring what I am saying in substance, cherry picking snippets and taking them out of context.

I never excepted nor is it a good idea for the taxpayers via the fed gov. to pick up state budget items, or private ind. period.

low borrowing rates, so you do believe its the feds job to pay public sector salaries of states how have cornered themselves, even if it means borrowing to do it, hey we did that, remember? when does it end? ... you do know that Illinois is on the ropes right? we the fed is out of money and yet, just borrow more...more more more....you're intellectually bankrupt, thats what that says.

REALITY has everything to do with it....

If you wanted to discuss reality, then you would admit that interest rates are historically low and ANY government in the country could borrow at historically low rates. Also, if you wanted to stay in reality, you would admit that in times of severe economic recession and/or high unemployment, allowing people to take pay cuts or lay offs, instead of borrowing, is a sure fire way to make matters worse.

But you don't want to be in reality do you? You just want to insult anyone who doesn't agree with you.

we have borrowed, we are borrowing, that is not the answer, we are beyond that, you appear to be the same carbon copy Lib, just spend, borrow it beg it steal it tax , but just spend...and there is never ever a point at which we stop, or, you tell me what is that stopping point?

at what point if any would you say no no more borrowing at any rate....

do you believe that private sector jobs should receive the same federal or state sppt. as in salary subsidies? if not why not ? if yes, pleas say why.

insult don't be a hack, stop telling me what you think I am saying or what you want me to say or be seen saying, to fit your narrative, and answer/address what I AM saying.

-------

Them wanting a raise? Sure, I'll defend that. I want a raise too. Chances are all who are reading this would like one as well.

I doubt they'll get it and are strongly overplaying their hand. But wanting it and doing things within the law to get it? Sure. No problem with that.

So you're having to work 37% longer hours for no extra pay? Wow that's rough. Bet your boss is really glad you'll put up with that shit, though.

CaféAuLait;5439132 said:
CaféAuLait;5439075 said:

As our educating the next generation of worker bees is probably the most important task in our society, and considering the education level one must maintain in order to be a teacher, shouldnt they get paid the salariesd Rdean posted?

They dont seem overpaid to me at all...especially considering Ill make more than every one of those salaries this year in a manufacturing job.

Vouchers are just government handouts to private entities. In Ruston Louisiana a private school is about to take on 314 voucher students as part of the states new program - the "instruction" at the school mostly involves sitting the students in front of TV's and having them watch educational DVD's. Its just a warehouse to put kids in while raking in taxpayer dollars in the form of tuition. The better private schools choose not to participate, so that in the end you have the choice between a shitty public school and a wack job crazy private school.

you sir, are ignorant.

Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action

My 15 year old had alot of trouble in school over the years. we tried everything. Special classes, tutors, changed schools to charter schools and finally a private school...NOTHING worked until I finally got tough with him ( weve covered that in another thread )

Now he goes to public school again ( saves me a ton of money ) and is on the honor roll.

Vouchers wont fix the problem with our schools. PARENTS will.

WE, parents, need to stop coddling our kids and DEMAND better performance from them. Its OUR responsibility. Not the schools.

Of course our children are our responsibility; I'm going slightly off topic here. The government sends the wrong message sometimes. We have teachers becoming the lunch police, we have teachers brushing children’s teeth, handing out condoms, and counseling children on sex, carting them to Planned Parenthood for BC and abortions, etc. The government is overstepping in many areas ( it is Not a teachers responsibility to brush a child’s teeth or police their lunch etc) and it sends a signal to many parents that the child is the states responsibility and not theirs.

Forum List

Back