Chicago teacher's union wants a 30% pay raise

Wanna see who is politically correct?

Tell a class full of 14 year old students that religion is a business and the cause of the bulk of the murders in world history.

Wait a day or two. The PC nutters will reveal themselves before long.

True story.

Public education needs COMPETITION.

And how do you propose bringing in more competition when you are demanding the profession to take pay cuts and benefit cuts? How will LESS pay for MORE work bring in more competition? Where has that ever worked?

Vouchers.

Vouchers are just government handouts to private entities. In Ruston Louisiana a private school is about to take on 314 voucher students as part of the states new program - the "instruction" at the school mostly involves sitting the students in front of TV's and having them watch educational DVD's. Its just a warehouse to put kids in while raking in taxpayer dollars in the form of tuition. The better private schools choose not to participate, so that in the end you have the choice between a shitty public school and a wack job crazy private school.

CaféAuLait;5438976 said:
CaféAuLait;5438891 said:
LOL it has nothing to do with a short school day, the shortest in the nation ( by 2 hours) and the teachers, at all? Please. GMAB

When I was in school if I didn't do well it was my fault. If I told my parents it was the teachers fault they would tell me I should stop blaming other people for my failures.

Did something change?

Not everyone has your parents and some hold a teacher's performance as a reasonable measure of how 50 percent of a student population performs. Again as I said before, parents are to be held accountable as well. However, a near 50 percent failure rate and having to choose a subject to teach since the day is so short is inexcusable and an obvious reason for failure.

Which is why (again) we all agree a longer day for more time on the subject matter is good for the students.

It's just some of us don't think it should be worked for free.

And how do you propose bringing in more competition when you are demanding the profession to take pay cuts and benefit cuts? How will LESS pay for MORE work bring in more competition? Where has that ever worked?

Vouchers.

Won't work.

Taking money from a school will give them less to spend on the best teachers which will make the school fail more.

The voucher system is similar to doctors using leeches in the 1800s.
Like when Thomas Edison's mother took him out of public schools and taught him herself?

Now there was a bright lady who taught her son to think out of the box, and he delivered more things that changed the world than anyone else. Except Dominoes. They deliver. :D

Vouchers.

Won't work.

Taking money from a school will give them less to spend on the best teachers which will make the school fail more.

Like when Thomas Edison's mother took him out of public schools and taught him herself?

Now there was a bright lady who taught her son to think out of the box, and he delivered more things that changed the world than anyone else. Except Dominoes. They deliver. :D
That's the solution! Half the workforce should just stay at home and teach!

well now, that comment tells me a lot about you.....to bad.

no, its called being an adult and doing what you have to do. There was and is no guarantee of work anywhere for anyone except your union anointed apparently.....how old are you? 18?

Well, now you just sound jealous of unions. I've busted my ass for companies before and told them to pay more as well. They did. Win / Win.

Why shouldn't teachers get that?

:lol: I am IN a UC union,now, a public sector cali union, hello.

becasue they were under worked or overpaid to start with and, again, there is NO money......for god sakes. we are borrowing 40 cents pf every $ we spend now, what the Fed gov,. should float salaries for public sector unions? No one ponied up when I got canned and they should not be expected too.

And again ... you sound jealous.

Given the historically low interest rates, borrowing money to cover salaries would be great for the economy. Stop being emotional for a second and think about it.

CaféAuLait;5438934 said:
Again, though, you're mixing terms. No one is denying the students should have longer hours to have more time to focus on subject matter. But to ask the teachers to work 36% longer days for NO pay increase, is ridiculous.

No, I was addressing his question. But since you asked, why are Chicago teachers seemingly special and need to be paid more than the average teacher working more hours than they are?

Wait, wait I got it. Because a union DEMANDED that the tax payers pay the teachers the same as the rest of the country's teachers, while working on average 10 hours less per week.

Illinois has one of the highest rates in the country for pay but work far less:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Correct. And the officials who were elected by the tax payers AGREED to it!

But, sure, blame the teachers for wanting a better life for themselves and their families. That's good values right there.

But it can't possibly be greed when they have one of the highest pay rates in the country, shortest work weeks and a near 50 percent failure rate? Demanding pay higher than the rest of the nation’s teachers (see chart above they are one of the highest paid states already) while working significantly less and not being able to teach properly because of the shorter hours demanded. The mayor states they have to pick and choose what to teach because of how short the days are. Of course it reflects upon the teachers IMO.

Vouchers.

Vouchers are just government handouts to private entities. In Ruston Louisiana a private school is about to take on 314 voucher students as part of the states new program - the "instruction" at the school mostly involves sitting the students in front of TV's and having them watch educational DVD's. Its just a warehouse to put kids in while raking in taxpayer dollars in the form of tuition. The better private schools choose not to participate, so that in the end you have the choice between a shitty public school and a wack job crazy private school.

you sir, are ignorant.

Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action

According to CBSalary.com, the average teacher salary by city was as follows:

Springfield, IL – $48,015
Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

Teacher Salaries by State - Employment Spot

CaféAuLait;5438976 said:
When I was in school if I didn't do well it was my fault. If I told my parents it was the teachers fault they would tell me I should stop blaming other people for my failures.

Did something change?

Not everyone has your parents and some hold a teacher's performance as a reasonable measure of how 50 percent of a student population performs. Again as I said before, parents are to be held accountable as well. However, a near 50 percent failure rate and having to choose a subject to teach since the day is so short is inexcusable and an obvious reason for failure.

Which is why (again) we all agree a longer day for more time on the subject matter is good for the students.

It's just some of us don't think it should be worked for free.

Tell me how they are working for free. They are making MORE than the national average of teachers across the county make now and work significantly fewer hours. They are now demanding more money to assure the children do not have to make a choice as to what they learn their week has been shortened so much.

Vouchers.

Won't work.

They do work, but it takes time and effort to overcome the entrenched Union interests that vehemently oppose an end to their gravy train.

School vouchers allow families to "vote with their feet." In other words, they will attend successful schools and avoid failing schools. This will bring market forces to bear on education, which should result in a more efficient, more educational system over time.

School vouchers empower students and parents by giving them a choice. The mere fact of giving them this choice will increase their faith in education - "I choose this school" - rather than being forced to be here. It also makes families more invested in the school, which pays dividends when parents become more involved.

Voucher programs aren't perfect, but Public schools are broken. We can't continue doing the same things and expecting different results, unless you are a lunatic. The DC voucher system was a roaring success, with parents lining up to take part. Then Papa Obama (he had to pay back the Union thugs that helped finance his campaign!) discontinued the program.

For D.C. students, new hope in revived school voucher program - The Washington Post

Parents rush to apply for D.C. private school vouchers - The Washington Post

CaféAuLait;5439029 said:
CaféAuLait;5438934 said:
No, I was addressing his question. But since you asked, why are Chicago teachers seemingly special and need to be paid more than the average teacher working more hours than they are?

Wait, wait I got it. Because a union DEMANDED that the tax payers pay the teachers the same as the rest of the country's teachers, while working on average 10 hours less per week.

Illinois has one of the highest rates in the country for pay but work far less:

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Correct. And the officials who were elected by the tax payers AGREED to it!

But, sure, blame the teachers for wanting a better life for themselves and their families. That's good values right there.

But it can't possibly be greed when they have one of the highest pay rates in the country, shortest work weeks and a near 50 percent failure rate? Demanding pay higher than the rest of the nation’s teachers (see chart above they are one of the highest paid states already) while working significantly less and not being able to teach properly because of the shorter hours demanded. The mayor states they have to pick and choose what to teach because of how short the days are. Of course it reflects upon the teachers IMO.

They're paid more because Illinois, Chicago especially, is an expensive place to live. Look at that list from your link. Top 5 are: California, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey and New York. All expensive places. Comparing Chicago's salaries to North Dakota is like comparing apples to a llama.

Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

Hey rdean!
YOUR Dem playground is failing your children!
Why do your Dems hate children?

Last edited:

Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

That resonates with me as it would mean I'd get paid basically what I'm paid now to teach in a Chicago school And to that I'd say FUCK NO. You'd have to pay me double.

Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

And there is the proof there. They make on average 10,000 to 15,000 thousand MORE than the rest of the country and work 10 hours less per week with an abysmal failure rate.

CaféAuLait;5439075 said:

Chicago, IL – $53,713
Atlanta, GA – $35,903
Savannah, GA – $25,008
Orlando, FL – $31,684
Tampa, FL – $36,630
Miami, FL – $34,501

And there is the proof there. They make on average 10,000 to 15,000 thousand MORE than the rest of the country and work 10 hours less per week with an abysmal failure rate.

Than the rest of the country?

They don't get paid more than I do. I'm in the country, aren't I?

performance? were not talking about how many widgets you can make an hour. A childs education is effected by circumstances beyond the teachers control.

Then the PARENTS need to be held accountable... Or is that asking too much? I don't think so.

That is just another union cop out! Parents are just as accountable today as they were years ago or in all the countries who have passed us up on education.

:lol: They think they can blame their failure to teach on the parents & get a pay raise for having to endure these bad parents. :lol:

Well, now you just sound jealous of unions. I've busted my ass for companies before and told them to pay more as well. They did. Win / Win.

Why shouldn't teachers get that?

:lol: I am IN a UC union,now, a public sector cali union, hello.

becasue they were under worked or overpaid to start with and, again, there is NO money......for god sakes. we are borrowing 40 cents pf every $ we spend now, what the Fed gov,. should float salaries for public sector unions? No one ponied up when I got canned and they should not be expected too.

And again ... you sound jealous.

Given the historically low interest rates, borrowing money to cover salaries would be great for the economy. Stop being emotional for a second and think about it.

don't be stupid.

you are ignoring what I am saying in substance, cherry picking snippets and taking them out of context. see what I bolded and sized upwards? :rolleyes:

I never excepted nor is it a good idea for the taxpayers via the fed gov. to pick up state budget items, or private ind. period.

low borrowing rates, so you do believe its the feds job to pay public sector salaries of states how have cornered themselves, even if it means borrowing to do it, hey we did that, remember? when does it end? ... you do know that Illinois is on the ropes right? we the fed is out of money and yet, just borrow more...more more more....you're intellectually bankrupt, thats what that says.

REALITY has everything to do with it....

Vouchers.

you sir, are ignorant.

Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action

If New Living Word meets its goal of 315 new students, it would receive almost $2.7 million in Minimum Foundation Program money for those new students
http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/...chool-no-room-computers-teachers-new-students
Baldwin said students in classes are given primary instruction by watching a DVD, which he calls a "technology teacher."

Forum List

Back