Census Productivity

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
The Census just added 600,000 more workers for the door to door count.

I’ve discovered that many of our new enumerators, working on the Nonresponse Followup activities of the 2010 Census, are Facebook fans or have looked at my blog, so this is a message to them:

Welcome to the 2010 Census!

You are the heart of the operations for the second half of the census. To everyone you meet as an enumerator, you are also the face of the US Federal government. It’s a big responsibility; you must treat everyone with respect, even though not everyone will treat you with similar respect.

Our “customers” are those who have not yet been counted. You’ll probably meet some people with very little understanding of the census, and some with very deep understanding. Each person will have their own perspective on what we’re asking of them. Listening to what they have to say is an important step for you to effectively communicate our message to them.

You’re probably working in neighborhoods around your own home, but may have assignments in parts that aren’t as familiar to you. One of the interesting things in the job is meeting people you ordinarily would not know. It’s an adventure; remember to enjoy that part of the job.

We are relying on you – to make sure we count everyone once and only once and in the right place. We are asking about the April 1, 2010, composition of the houses you visit. You’ll probably find some complicated situations that aren’t easy applications of the training guidelines. Ask for help when you need it, to make sure we get things right.

According to the Census website, the total field operations for the Census consists of 1.2M people.

Math:

There are approx. 113M households in the U.S. The response rate on the census was 72% ( http://2010.census.gov/2010census/ ), which means 31.6M households need to be visited.

With 1.2M field operations staff, that comes to 26 households to visit person, or 52 if working in teams of two. The door-door phase goes from May through July, 3 months. Assuming 60 workdays (which is what a normal person would work during this time)...well, let's lower it to 52, that means only 1 household visit per team per day.

I don't get it. I suspect there is a minority of Census workers who are quite busy (at least a couple of them are USMB members) while a bunch of them are doing nothing. My guesstimate is that the census is overstaffed by a factor of at least 3X.

Last edited:
totally overstaffed....and its just fucking crazy..what they have us do...first in defense of the orginal enumerators the hhc's failed miserably...so the mapping was never completed correctly. once the mapping got off...the whole thing got off...

okay here is my best story...i am assigned to go look at an address...its a church and a parsonage...

enumerator a...deleted the parsonage

enumerator b... put it as non resident

me, enumerator c...determines is uninhabitable...

why did a..delete a housing unit? the master list...requires....2 agreed upon deletions....

why did b...declare it a non residence?

and only by luck did i find out that it was infest with black mold and uninhabitable....

which means a 4th enumerator had to go out and decide, was it gone, a non residence or uninhabitable?

so now 4 people have been there....

total fucking waste...

first they should mail this out...but the post office does not co ordinate...po boxes with physical addresses and the census runs on physical addresses only....so the first cards mailed out were returned cause they were addressed to the physical address ....so forth and so on...

you could not put the forms in a mail box....

there was so much un needed management....they hired a lot of unneed people...get this most of your time is in training...you train for 55% of the time and work very little after that...

obama is manipulating the payroll figures with this census....i have heard it cost 45 dollars per man woman and child.

obama is manipulating the payroll figures with this census....i have heard it cost 45 dollars per man woman and child.

If they just paid people $5 to send in their Census form, they could have lowered the cost by nearly 95%+ (2.7 people per household).

:)

o and they dont like it when you buck...i was noticified i was getting the okay for over time...i had yet to work an 8 hour day...some days i would drive more than 4 hours...i had to take a 30 min. unpaid lunch and two 15 min breaks that were paid...i got paid for my time...from leaving the house...i got paid for planning my route etc...i got paid the min..i thought about working...and it was even more cush for the crew leaders...

And this is how Obama is cooking the unemployment figures. Without this mess, no jobs would have been created this year.

Not so sure about the productivity figures. By my count, they are coming up with nonexistent minority people all over. Sounds like they are really productive back at the office.

Over management and too many workers with minimal output in a government program? *crickets chirping*

Interesting take on the staffing levels. Given the low amount of households to count per "field worker", perhaps there is a paperwork mill set up where they manufacture resident counts to cook the districts.

Uh. The link to the director's blog is in the first post, you pathetic pile of pustules.

You can find...well, an intelligent person could find...the director's blog post about hiring 600,000 more workers.

It took me less than 5 seconds to isolate the specific blog post.

A Note to my 600,000 New Colleagues - The Director's Blog

Forum List

Back