Celebrating Hanukkah In A Palestinian City

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
When people actually meet people...they get to learn a bit about each other. This girl got to celebrate her Jewish holiday with her Palestinian host family, when they realized how much she was missing being with her family at this time.

Celebrating Hanukkah In A Palestinian City Parallels NPR

Amelia Wolf, an American Jewish college student, was living in the Palestinian city of Ramallah when the holiday of Hanukkah rolled around last year.

She liked the Palestinian family that was hosting her in the West Bank, but she felt a little lonely. She wasn't going to celebrate in Israel, where she had friends and relatives, as she had other Jewish holidays.

And in Ramallah, she didn't think it would be a good idea to put a holiday menorah in the window, in line with Jewish tradition. But when her Palestinian host mom and neighbors got wind of how Wolf was feeling, they brought chocolates and gathered to watch her light the Hanukkah candles.

Wolf says they listened "super patiently" as she explained in her "broken Arabic" the story of Hanukkah.

When people actually meet people...they get to learn a bit about each other. This girl got to celebrate her Jewish holiday with her Palestinian host family, when they realized how much she was missing being with her family at this time.

Amelia Wolf, an American Jewish college student, was living in the Palestinian city of Ramallah when the holiday of Hanukkah rolled around last year.

She liked the Palestinian family that was hosting her in the West Bank, but she felt a little lonely. She wasn't going to celebrate in Israel, where she had friends and relatives, as she had other Jewish holidays.

And in Ramallah, she didn't think it would be a good idea to put a holiday menorah in the window, in line with Jewish tradition. But when her Palestinian host mom and neighbors got wind of how Wolf was feeling, they brought chocolates and gathered to watch her light the Hanukkah candles.

Wolf says they listened "super patiently" as she explained in her "broken Arabic" the story of Hanukkah.

Great story. Need more like them on both sides. Regretfully they are in an extreme minority & in reality no hope for change with Hamas governing the Palestinians. LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

I agree that this is a great story. But IMHO it is too bad that the way it was edited gives one just an emotional response to the situation. I have found that this seems to be the best way to try to deny some of the truths.

I just think it's a nice story and it's a pity folks can't except it for what it is. A jewish girl trying to understand what the Palestinians experience and a Palestinian family trying to understand a Jewish girls longing for a holiday away from her family.

This sort of thing doesn't get reported because...of course...there are no bombs, blood, or other "media-worthy" politicizing events.

I agree that this is a great story. But IMHO it is too bad that the way it was edited gives one just an emotional response to the situation. I have found that this seems to be the best way to try to deny some of the truths.

I totally agree with you, Theodore . . . Israeli theft of Palestinian land should not be hidden by means of emotion. ~ Susan

One swallow does not a summer make........................

I totally agree with you, Theodore . . . Israeli theft of Palestinian land should not be hidden by means of emotion. ~ Susan

And you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that would stand up in a US court that the land was palestinian in the first place. Otherwise you are just spreading ISLAMONAZO PROPAGANDA and LIES

This sort of stuff should get reported more often, but it it doesn't - not unless you dig into the back pages.

This thread is NOT about who owns the land or was there first or any of the other typical thread derailments here.

Just curious, do you mean the back pages of today's newspaper, or the back pages of this section here?

I was thinking of the news in general - mainstream media, etc in the US. But I guess it could apply to here as well - people prefer to post bad events and ignore or diminish the good ones.

I was thinking of the news in general - mainstream media, etc in the US. But I guess it could apply to here as well - people prefer to post bad events and ignore or diminish the good ones.
Indeed. A demo of tens of thousands of Salam Now in front of the Abu Mazen residence will be some good news, of course.

Forum List

Back