CBS To Release Statement at Noon Today

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
And I suppose it's anyone's guess if it will be a retraction, an apology to the president, and or a revelation of source/s?????

Last possibility is they are still standing by the story?

britinusa said:
Kelly Wright of Fox News reports that the CBS VP for Communications said the statement would be released via email around noon.

Should be interesting!!! Maybe they are going to say their letting Rahter go!! Haha-fat chance. :bye1:

They'll probably announce an internal investigation. I hope I'm wrong; I hope they'll announce Dan Rather "by mutual agreement, has decided to retire."
I don't care if they fire half the CBS News staff, I won't be satisfied until they tell us the source of the fake memos. The news media tradition of protecting sources shouldn't apply when the source provides forged documents.

CSM said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132409,00.html

In this article, the good old secretary says the contents are correct. Where is the proof of that? Oh we have these documents that say so! (sarcasm).

Last week this "sweet old lady" told the Houston Chronicle that she had no firsthand knowledge of Bush's time with the Texas Air National Guard, but yesterday she told the New York Times "We did discuss Bush's conduct and it was a problem Killian was concerned about," Mrs. Knox said. "I think he was writing the memos so there would be some record that he was aware of what was going on and what he had done."
She is a Bush-hater, claiming that he is "unfit to command" and was "selected, not elected" (that old cliche!).

Check out Jim Geraghty's NRO Kerry Spot (scroll down a little)

They aren't going to say squat! Tthey are now trying to call their forgery and stonewalling the truth and all of the questioning a reverse smear of Dan Rather God of Reporting

:blowup:

Rather Rides Out Latest Partisan Storm
By Elizabeth Jensen Times Staff Writer

NEW YORK — CBS News' Dan Rather has famously tangled with Republicans since Richard Nixon was president. Now the anchor finds himself in the midst of another major partisan storm, accused of airing forged documents to support a report on President Bush (news - web sites)'s controversial Texas Air National Guard service in the early 1970s.

In the week since the Sept. 8 report on the newsmagazine "60 Minutes," Rather has twice gone on the air to defend his reporting and the documents, which critics have argued couldn't have been produced by the typewriter technology commonly in use at the time. Tuesday, CBS News executives were preparing yet another rebuttal, expected to be released today.

But the issue doesn't show signs of dying down soon, partly because of the 72-year-old anchor's volatile history with the Bush family and decades-old criticisms that Rather has a liberal bent.

"Some people erroneously see Dan as having an agenda,"
CBS News President Andrew Heyward said. "He is a fair-minded, tough-minded reporter doing his job. But he is also a celebrity" who has been used as a "poster child for mainstream media agendas."

Heyward said he believed that was "unfair and unjustified, but it is certainly a factor if you need to personalize an attack on CBS or mainstream media."

As CBS' White House reporter in 1974, Rather was criticized for a news conference exchange with President Nixon. When Rather was applauded by other reporters for aggressively jumping in to ask a question, Nixon jokingly asked Rather if he was "running for something." Rather parried back: "No, sir, Mr. President. Are you?"

In 1988, then-Vice President George H.W. Bush, faced with relentless grilling by Rather over his role in the Iran-Contra affair, turned the tables on the anchor, bringing up an incident in which Rather had walked off the set to protest a tennis match that had cut into his air time. Rather abruptly ended the live interview.

That incident — which many saw as an unseemly spat — followed the same pattern as the current controversy, Rather said in an interview Tuesday.

Facing questions it didn't want to answer, the vice president's "political apparatus understandably, out of necessity, chose to question the questioner," Rather said. Likewise, he said, his critics are "people who for their own partisan, political agendas can't deny the core truth of this story … and want to change the subject and make the story about me rather than have the story be about the unanswered questions about President Bush's military service."

His aggressive pursuit of the current story "is not personal. It never is with me," Rather said. Nor does he feel "beset upon," he said.

Inside CBS, however, some of his colleagues, who declined to be named, said they were dismayed that Rather and his team had left themselves open to any criticism, precisely because his well-organized critics would be sure to pounce.

Outside the network, supporters of Rather also want more information. Credible rival news organizations, not just "a bunch of Republican hacks," are raising questions, said Alex Jones, director of Harvard University's Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy.

"Dan Rather is an honorable, ethical journalist with very high standards, and if he says the documents are real, I am personally inclined to believe him," Jones said. "But if he wants the world to believe him, then there is probably going to have to be more information."

A growing number of critics say that means naming the source who gave CBS copies of the memos the network says were written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, Bush's immediate supervisor in the Guard.

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) told reporters Tuesday: "The biggest question I have — and I think the American people have — is where did the memos come from? We're dealing with the alleged forgery of government documents to influence a presidential race during war. This isn't politics as usual. It's dangerous. It's possibly criminal. This is really serious stuff."

Rather said he had no intention of giving in to those pressures. "Say what you want to about me, I keep my word," Rather said. "No, I'm not going to reveal my source."

"I think we've gone out of our way to reveal more of the process than most journalists do," Heyward said. "We're going to have to take the criticism."

This is UnF**King Real!!!!!

:blowup: :blowup: :blowup:
Link

Rather is trying to spin this so that he is the hero standing firm about keeping his word................I would LOVE to know who his source was, becasue I think thats key to this whole thing, he may be trying to cover someone in the DNC's ass.

poor choice--better to have some ammo before your try to pitch that hot potato back to the other court. If CBS says this they're still in the hot seat.

Bonnie said:
Rather is trying to spin this so that he is the hero standing firm about keeping his word................I would LOVE to know who his source was, becasue I think thats key to this whole thing, he may be trying to cover someone in the DNC's ass.

That's one of the many rumors floating around out there. If your into conspiracies, ain't it funny that Carville Begala & Co just joined the campaign in the past few weeks? Or that Terry McAsswipe has been on the TV daily running with the story based on Dan's forgeries? Proclaiming it as fact?

I hope the memos came from the DNC through MoveOn to CBS and that they are all criminally prosecuted at this point

JIHADTHIS said:
That's one of the many rumors floating around out there. If your into conspiracies, ain't it funny that Carville Begala & Co just joined the campaign in the past few weeks? Or that Terry McAsswipe has been on the TV daily running with the story based on Dan's forgeries? Proclaiming it as fact?

I hope the memos came from the DNC through MoveOn to CBS and that they are all criminally prosecuted at this point

I was listeining to an attorney discuss the penalties for forged documents etc, and that amounts to serious time in jail. I wonder what the criteria for Rather being forced to reveal the source is if any? He would have to spend time in jail yes?

normally I'd say crap like this is just politics and to make your opponents credibility look questionable, but forging federal documents goes way over the line. I'm with you JIHAD, there should be some prosecution coming from this.

This whole thing is going to be an interesting test of the media. Will the media itself,go after another? Especially one of the big wigs like Rather? If they don't ,that says a lot about bias. So far,I think it has gotten a pretty good amount of coverage.

Thanks DK.

I'm more upset at what Rather & Co are trying to pull, not so much at their supposed message. Both sides have been slinging mud for years, I just think this is way, way over the line. Besides the forgery issue, their is also the potential violation of McCain Feingold. A stupid law some whould say, but a law nonetheless.....

krisy said:
This whole thing is going to be an interesting test of the media. Will the media itself,go after another? Especially one of the big wigs like Rather? If they don't ,that says a lot about bias. So far,I think it has gotten a pretty good amount of coverage.

Coverage has been better, I agree. I think you are starting to see them turning on him, they are all competitors in the end. While I don't think it will be blatant at first, I think the sharks at ABC & NBC smell blood. I don't count Fox (they have been covering this) only because they are not part of the big MSM machine (NYTimes, big 3 networks, CNN, LATimes etc)

I predict that CBS/Blather, in true Demo fashion, will claim victim status in one way or another and take no presonal responsiblity for their farcical "reporting."

We'll all find out in 40 minutes, but my guess is CBS will focus on Killian's former secretary, Marian Carr Knox. Knox said yesterday that the sentiments expressed in the memos were accurate. She was singing a different tune last week, when she stated that she had no firsthand knowledge of Bush's time with the Texas Air National Guard.

britinusa said:
We'll all find out in 40 minutes, but my guess is CBS will focus on Killian's former secretary, Marian Carr Knox. Knox said yesterday that the sentiments expressed in the memos were accurate. She was singing a different tune last week, when she stated that she had no firsthand knowledge of Bush's time with the Texas Air National Guard.

OR the GOP tossed out the bait and CBS grabbed it :rotflmao:

Forum List

Back