vietnam vet lied about atrocities

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
did kerry coerce vet to lie?

WASHINGTON — A veteran who testified to John Kerry about atrocities he committed in the Vietnam War is now claiming that the Democratic presidential candidate coerced him to tell tales.

Steven Pitkin, an Army combat veteran, told FOX News that Kerry coached him and others to say they had witnessed war crimes, even after Pitkin told Kerry that he had not.

"Before they started the camera, they told me, 'We need you to speak about the atrocities that happened over there.' The whole company line that I initially came out and said, I was coached to say that over and over again," Pitkin said.

Kerry's former brother-in-law, David Thorne, attended that Winter Soldier investigation, in which more than 100 Vietnam veterans told anti-war activists that they had either committed or witnessed unspeakable war crimes. Thorne flatly denied Pitkin's charges.

"Kerry never forced anyone to testify to war crimes in any way. [Kerry] went to Winter Soldier to listen to what they had to say and to investigate for himself," Thorne said.

Kerry collected the testimony ahead of his appearance during a 1971 hearing in front of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on widespread atrocities against Vietnamese civilians. He has said the graphic testimony he gave was merely a repetition of testimony combat veterans told him.

Who to believe? There's so much more to dislike Kerry on than this so I won't stress about it to bad, LOL!
And does Kerry's former BIL really call him "Kerry"? I couldn't imagine calling my BIL by his last name, although I do call my husband by his once in awhile, must be the military thing, LOL!

I think this campaign 2004 will have to mark a milestone for the most tumultious and vicious mostly on the part of the Dems considering all that has been thrown at Bush rightly or wrongly.

DKSuddeth said:
did kerry coerce vet to lie?

WASHINGTON — A veteran who testified to John Kerry about atrocities he committed in the Vietnam War is now claiming that the Democratic presidential candidate coerced him to tell tales.

Steven Pitkin, an Army combat veteran, told FOX News that Kerry coached him and others to say they had witnessed war crimes, even after Pitkin told Kerry that he had not.

"Before they started the camera, they told me, 'We need you to speak about the atrocities that happened over there.' The whole company line that I initially came out and said, I was coached to say that over and over again," Pitkin said.

Pitkin's claim is a total crock. When he lied, he did so not only willingly, but enthusiatically. He's probably getting some heat from fellow vets who are none too pleased with his performance, so Pitkin is trying to blame kerry for "coercing" him to make those statements. He may have been encouraged, but I doubt very much that anyone was twisting his arm.

Sounds to me like a simple case of liar's remorse.

Merlin1047 said:
Pitkin's claim is a total crock. When he lied, he did so not only willingly, but enthusiatically. He's probably getting some heat from fellow vets who are none too pleased with his performance, so Pitkin is trying to blame kerry for "coercing" him to make those statements. He may have been encouraged, but I doubt very much that anyone was twisting his arm.

Sounds to me like a simple case of liar's remorse.

I dont see any proof of coersion in the article. Coaching, yes, but where does he say that they applied bamboo splinters under his finger nails?

CSM said:
I dont see any proof of coersion in the article. Coaching, yes, but where does he say that they applied bamboo splinters under his finger nails?

Well, they may have threated to withold the cocaine.

CSM said:
bamboo splinters would be torture, underwear on his head would be coercion.

Forum List

Back