yet another lawmaker payraise

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DKSuddeth, Sep 15, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Lawmakers to Get Federal Pay Raise

WASHINGTON - With little debate, House lawmakers on Tuesday included themselves as part of a pay raise that all federal employees will receive next year.

The cost-of-living raise would be the sixth straight for members of the House and Senate, boosting the salaries of lawmakers, now $158,100, by about $4,000 in the new calendar year.

The civil servant COLA is part of an $89.9 billion Transportation and Treasury Department spending bill that the House is expected to pass Wednesday.

The Senate Appropriations Committee approved its version of the spending bill Tuesday and it, too, opened the door for lawmakers' salaries to rise.

The measure stipulates that civil servants get raises of 3.5 percent, the same as military personnel will receive next year. Under a complicated formula, that translates to 2.5 percent for members of Congress.

Like last year, the only House member to speak out against the automatic raise was Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah. "Now is not the time for members of Congress to be voting themselves a pay raise," he said. "Let us send a signal to the American people that we recognize their struggle in America's economy."

But by a 235-170 vote, the House rejected Matheson's procedural attempt to get a direct vote on the pay raise. In 1989, Congress decided to make annual cost-of-living pay increases automatic unless the lawmakers voted otherwise.

The pay raise would also apply to the vice president — who is president of the Senate — congressional leaders and Supreme Court justices.

This year, Vice President Cheney, House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Chief Justice William Rehnquist receive $203,000. Associate justices get $194,300 and House and Senate party leaders get $175,700.

President Bush's salary of $400,000 is unaffected by the legislation.

do we really think that they are working for us, or them? and are we that stupid or too ignorant to do anything about it? Or is it tolerable just so one side or the other can be in power?

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Reprehensible !!! Is this bill signed yet and pardon my ignorance but does the president have line item veto? These selfish mother f--kers have no business bitching about ANY kind of tax cut when they give themselves a raise. They all should have their feet held to the fire on this one !! :blowup:

3. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yup.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    calm you jets... 3.5% will be VERY welcome around my household! :D

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think it's more like Lazy and apathetic.

Our society is in the crapper as far as political responsibility goes.
    If by chance Kerry would win in Nov. it would represent the final flush.
    Just my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    d, i'm sure that you, jeff, and all of your other co-workers deserve it, but the lawmakers of this government COULD have exempted themselves but didn't and with barely an utterance of protest.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It's amazing how they manage to do this under the radar so to speak. Didn't hear a thing about it until you told me DK. Guess the media doesn't feel like they can handle criticizing both parties at the same time. :2guns:

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Do any of you know what comparative salaries for professionals outside of gov't would be? Keeping lawmakers' salaries relatively high promotes desire to BE a lawmaker; although I'd wager most don't put up with the BS of their jobs for the money; it's out of the desire to try and make this country better.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    thats why it's called civil service. If it were about the money then we'd have the crappy representatives we have now.........uh, damn. :bang3:

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Having decent salaries helps keep the most capable interested in doing the job. I say, cut them some slack...why/how is their job performance not equalling their pay?