CBS Poll: 91% Approve, 9% Disapprove of State of the Union Speech

The point is, and I know that this could be a offensive but fwiw, you typically (not always to your credit) are in here defending the Right side of things, and so the seeming "need" to find something negative to say when #1. what you said is obvious and #2. it's the precedent for all Presidents is a bit like, the same boring partisan shit on here every fucking day with people, basically.

"this doesn't count because he appealed to all people, who wouldn't win with that strategy!"

-well, yea, that's kind of the point. And?

I mean, I'm also getting tired of the whole "what does he mean invest in infrastructure, the stimulus the stimulus!"

When 1, the *reality* is that 40% of it DID turn into tax cuts instead, and 2, the whole thing isn't even close to being rolled out yet. More of the same bickering heeber jeeber point out the "obvious" negatives instead of looking upward and ahead.

Again, I was discredtiting the poll as that was the topic of the thread.
Truth is, the state of the union sucks; Obamas vision is unattainable; and we the people need to stop hoping for the impossible and start truly understanding reality.

Whether Bush, Reagan, Obama, Carter, Clinton...I really dont care.

SOTU speeches are supposed to be the President speaking to congress about the state of the union from his perspective..

And now that we the poeple can actually see it live, it has turned into campaign speeches offering false hope.

And this poll just exassperrates matters

The Presidents have always laid out their aspired goals in the SOTU, this one was not ridiculous and was no different.

35th in Education, we used to be 1st in the World. We need to innovate and build infrastructure to propel us back >>forward.

He should have addressed that need, and did. Very Seriously.

If he got up there and said "the economy sucks and there's no way out" would that make you happy?

I mean, he did address how bad the economy was while also keeping optimism alive by pointing to the steady recovering that the economy *is* doing. Unemployment is why R's took over Congress and their Agenda thus far ignores Unemployment and goes straight to Health-Care which, they said ACCORDING TO CBO, was going to KILL 650K jobs while the CBO report theyre referring to, itself, stated the 650K number as the approximate people who would leave the workforce VOLUNTARILY because they work *just* to qualify for benefits. That means, openings. That, is a good thing.

Again, I was questioning the credibility of suich a rediculous poll

The SOTU speeches are mostly just a big bs fests The Prez pats himself and his party on the back. He blames all misfortune on the other party. He tells everyone what a great job he and his party are doing despite the fuckups of the previous Prez and party. He goes on to tell you what great things he's gonna do for the country.

The problem is for one reason or another all their lofty wants and wishs never seem to get done.

Waste of time in my book.

Personally I think the Prez outta just put it in a memo and send a copy to each member of Congress.

this thread reminds me of the book 'How To Lie With Statistics"...:lol:

so what percentage of Americans actually WATCHED the speech? My guess is it is somewhere under 10% so 91% of 10% would actually mean that only 9.1% of Americans approve of the speech....just sayin

Then on the flip side of this, a mere .09% of Americans disapproved of Obamas speech. Impressive. Thanks for pointing that out!

The SOTU speeches are mostly just a big bs fests The Prez pats himself and his party on the back. He blames all misfortune on the other party. He tells everyone what a great job he and his party are doing despite the fuckups of the previous Prez and party. He goes on to tell you what great things he's gonna do for the country.

The problem is for one reason or another all their lofty wants and wishs never seem to get done.

Personally I think the Prez outta just put it in a memo and send a copy to each member of Congress.

Except he didn't do any of that.

The point is, and I know that this could be a offensive but fwiw, you typically (not always to your credit) are in here defending the Right side of things, and so the seeming "need" to find something negative to say when #1. what you said is obvious and #2. it's the precedent for all Presidents is a bit like, the same boring partisan shit on here every fucking day with people, basically.

"this doesn't count because he appealed to all people, who wouldn't win with that strategy!"

-well, yea, that's kind of the point. And?

I mean, I'm also getting tired of the whole "what does he mean invest in infrastructure, the stimulus the stimulus!"

When 1, the *reality* is that 40% of it DID turn into tax cuts instead, and 2, the whole thing isn't even close to being rolled out yet. More of the same bickering heeber jeeber point out the "obvious" negatives instead of looking upward and ahead.

Truth is, the state of the union sucks; Obamas vision is unattainable; and we the people need to stop hoping for the impossible and start truly understanding reality.

SOTU speeches are supposed to be the President speaking to congress about the state of the union from his perspective..

And now that we the poeple can actually see it live, it has turned into campaign speeches offering false hope.

"False" Hope? Come on.

Either you are really young..or you just breezed past some of the real challenges faced by this country.

I live through all sorts of crap..and we've been in worse pickles.

High speed trains, better eductional system while lowering taxes and decreasing the deficit/debt?

Sorry...thats false hope.

Which proves that stringing the same haaaaaaaaaap! hap! hap-hap-hap-hap! happy talk! is enough to satisfy most citizens.

Obama's speech mostly could have been read by any DEM POTUS in my lifetime with only a few changes to make it fit their times.

The same foolish notions we've been hearing for 40 years...that the problem is a lack of educated workers and incidetly, that we need more FREE TRADE.

All more worthless feel good blather.

Not that I approve of this sort of thing..but sometimes it's needed. President Carter, who in my opinion was a really good President, was nothing but gloom and doom. He was way to honest. And people hated it.

President Reagan on the other hand was a horrible President. But he was all happy talk. People felt good about being American with him around. And people loved it.

If President Obama sticks with Carter's pragmatism (Which he does about half the time) and Reagan's optimism (Which he's now been channeling); it could be a good mix.

ClassicBizarro1.png

Pictures are cute.

But they don't mean a hill of beans unless you back them up with some solid advocacy..which should include facts.

Otherwise..it's a picture.

And cute.

"False" Hope? Come on.

Either you are really young..or you just breezed past some of the real challenges faced by this country.

High speed trains, better eductional system while lowering taxes and decreasing the deficit/debt?

It is? In other words, you're declaring US as failed? Alright. Must be time to bounce before your Family is effected if you really feel that way. I can only imagine how people like you felt during the Depression, and pre industrial revolution.

"False" Hope? Come on.

Improved telecommunications, Re-educating displaced workers and lowering the deficit?

Yeah..that's right.

That's what Clinton promised and came through on.

In spades.

GT. I wasn't necessarily speaking about OL'BO just SOTU speeches in general.

"False" Hope? Come on.

Improved telecommunications, Re-educating displaced workers and lowering the deficit?

Yeah..that's right.

In spades.

Hi spoeed trains and lenthening the academic day and year at the cost of the tax payer while LOWERNG taxes and DECREASING the deficit and the debt?

False hope.

GT. I wasn't necessarily speaking about OL'BO just SOTU speeches in general.

I guess you're complementing him then for going outside of that box.

Yeah..that's right.

In spades.

Hi spoeed trains and lenthening the academic day and year at the cost of the tax payer while LOWERNG taxes and DECREASING the deficit and the debt?

False hope.

In other words....if you were listening....

' I will increase spending (he referred to it as investment) while decreasing taxes and decreasing our deficit and debt'

Pipe dream.

Yeah..that's right.

In spades.

False hope.

' I will increase spending (he referred to it as investment) while decreasing taxes and decreasing our deficit and debt'

Pipe dream.

Actually, you don't quite think too far into these things before getting all cynical and partisan.

He didn't say "I will increase spending," necessarily. You forgot to factor in all of the cuts he talked about that are necessary and the Commission to get rid of dumb Beaurocracies like the 2 Salmon ones.

If you put it all together, that doesn't say "i will increase spending, cut taxes, AND reduce the debt!"

It says I'll decrease spending, spend what we do spend wiser and with regard for getting back to being #1, and I will cut corporate Taxes by closing irrelevant loop-holes that others have had for so long. Try comprehending it as a whole instead of bickering just to bicker.

It's sort of like the team in the locker room listening to the coach's pep talk. Sounds great. Inspiring. Elevating. We're invincible. Rah, rah, rah.

But once the game gets going and the home team is being creamed, all that glowing rhetoric begins to lose its luster pretty quickly.

And thinking people, once they begin thinking about the opposing concepts of spending trillions more of taxpayer money to create Utopia in the USA while cutting the deficit in half begin to realize that it was after all just rhetoric.

From Rasmussen:

Thursday, January 27, 2011
The president’s Tuesday night State of the Union speech had little impact on support for his new spending proposals in areas like education, transportation and technological innovation.

Rasmussen Reports asked voters the same three questions about the president’s economic proposals on the two nights prior to the speech and then again on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

On the first two nights, 39% supported the proposals. On the next two nights, support was 41%.

Fifty percent (50%) of Likely U.S. Voters now oppose the federal government spending more money in areas like education, transportation and technological innovation, up from 45% in the previous survey. Forty-one percent (41%) favor the idea, a two-point increase from before. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters now say cutting federal spending is better for the economy than increasing federal spending in these targeted areas. But 34% disagree and say increasing spending is better. Sixteen percent (16%) are not sure.

This marks little change from the survey released Tuesday when 47% opted for spending cuts and 33% liked increased spending better. Twenty-one percent (21%) were undecided.

As for the federal budget deficit, voters remain strongly skeptical that Obama will cut it in half by the end of his first term in office as he vowed in a speech to Congress early in his presidency. Just 22% say it’s at least somewhat likely that he will achieve that goal. That’s virtually identical to the numbers from before the speech.

50% Now Oppose President?s New Spending Proposals - Rasmussen Reports

False hope.

Pipe dream.

Actually, you don't quite think too far into these things before getting all cynical and partisan.

He didn't say "I will increase spending," necessarily. You forgot to factor in all of the cuts he talked about that are necessary and the Commission to get rid of dumb Beaurocracies like the 2 Salmon ones.

If you put it all together, that doesn't say "i will increase spending, cut taxes, AND reduce the debt!"

It says I'll decrease spending, spend what we do spend wiser and with regard for getting back to being #1, and I will cut corporate Taxes by closing irrelevant loop-holes that others have had for so long. Try comprehending it as a whole instead of bickering just to bicker.

unfair assessment of my intentions.
I do not bicker just to bicker. Partisans do that.

I call it as I see it....and the truth is actually in the poll.

91% are favorable.

What he said, what he meant to say....irrelevant.

Obviously, the way people took it....the most impoortant thing......was inaccurate.

We have major challanges ahead of us...and many sacrifices will need to be made...

I dont think 91% of the people would find that as favorable.

It's sort of like the team in the locker room listening to the coach's pep talk. Sounds great. Inspiring. Elevating. We're invincible. Rah, rah, rah.

But once the game gets going and the home team is being creamed, all that glowing rhetoric begins to lose its luster pretty quickly.

And thinking people, once they begin thinking about the opposing concepts of spending trillions more of taxpayer money to create Utopia in the USA while cutting the deficit in half begin to realize that it was after all just rhetoric.

From Rasmussen:

Thursday, January 27, 2011
The president’s Tuesday night State of the Union speech had little impact on support for his new spending proposals in areas like education, transportation and technological innovation.

Rasmussen Reports asked voters the same three questions about the president’s economic proposals on the two nights prior to the speech and then again on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

On the first two nights, 39% supported the proposals. On the next two nights, support was 41%.

Fifty percent (50%) of Likely U.S. Voters now oppose the federal government spending more money in areas like education, transportation and technological innovation, up from 45% in the previous survey. Forty-one percent (41%) favor the idea, a two-point increase from before. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Forty-nine percent (49%) of voters now say cutting federal spending is better for the economy than increasing federal spending in these targeted areas. But 34% disagree and say increasing spending is better. Sixteen percent (16%) are not sure.

This marks little change from the survey released Tuesday when 47% opted for spending cuts and 33% liked increased spending better. Twenty-one percent (21%) were undecided.

As for the federal budget deficit, voters remain strongly skeptical that Obama will cut it in half by the end of his first term in office as he vowed in a speech to Congress early in his presidency. Just 22% say it’s at least somewhat likely that he will achieve that goal. That’s virtually identical to the numbers from before the speech.

50% Now Oppose President?s New Spending Proposals - Rasmussen Reports

Nobody's going to "believe" anything before they see it, that's obvious. But a way forward is not sitting in a cynical chair with your arms crossed and denying every word spoken. That's the fastest way to lose, at everything, that I could imagine. That's forfeit.

Pipe dream.

unfair assessment of my intentions.
I do not bicker just to bicker. Partisans do that.

I call it as I see it....and the truth is actually in the poll.

91% are favorable.

What he said, what he meant to say....irrelevant.

Obviously, the way people took it....the most impoortant thing......was inaccurate.

We have major challanges ahead of us...and many sacrifices will need to be made...

I dont think 91% of the people would find that as favorable.

You claimed he contradicted himself when he didn't. I just explained how he didn't for you. Either you didn't listen to him, you didn't comprehend what you heard, or you're just rolling your eyes going "yah ryyye, yah ryyye."

He also touched on the sacrifices, lol, you ignored that part ALSO!

Yeah..that's right.

In spades.

False hope.

No.

Increased business and employment as a result of those efforts equal increase revenue for the government.

The "Lowering" of corporate taxes is a good thing if coupled with loophole closures. As it stands 2/3rds of major corporations are not putting in their fair share.

Yeah..that's right.

In spades.

False hope.

No.

Increased business and employment as a result of those efforts equal increase revenue for the government.

The "Lowering" of corporate taxes is a good thing if coupled with loophole closures. As it stands 2/3rds of major corporations are not putting in their fair share.

You put way too much faith in unions.

Do you really believe that increasing the length of the school day forcing teachers to work 9 hour days, and lengthening the school year by a month will increase the need for teachers?

It will ONLY result in higher salary demands by the teachers unions.

Afterall, the student base isnt going to change....

False hope.

No.

You put way too much faith in unions.

Do you really believe that increasing the length of the school day forcing teachers to work 9 hour days, and lengthening the school year by a month will increase the need for teachers?

It will ONLY result in higher salary demands by the teachers unions.

Afterall, the student base isnt going to change....

School is 6 hours here in NY, not 8, and if teachers stay 8 which they probably do, I think they could streamline their processes and still stay for 8 with school increasing to 7.

Forum List

Back