CBS Poll: 91% Approve, 9% Disapprove of State of the Union Speech

Improved telecommunications, Re-educating displaced workers and lowering the deficit?

Yeah..that's right.

That's what Clinton promised and came through on.

In spades.

Hi spoeed trains and lenthening the academic day and year at the cost of the tax payer while LOWERNG taxes and DECREASING the deficit and the debt?

False hope.

No.

Increased business and employment as a result of those efforts equal increase revenue for the government.

The "Lowering" of corporate taxes is a good thing if coupled with loophole closures. As it stands 2/3rds of major corporations are not putting in their fair share.

Tax shelters were eliminated years ago.

Those "loop holes" you refer to are known as tax credits.

Tax credits are offered to corporations for activities that result in the betterment of the community...and spur community development.

Such as section 42 LIHTC.....such is a way to have the wealthy invest their money in lower income housing...

As an example.

Hi spoeed trains and lenthening the academic day and year at the cost of the tax payer while LOWERNG taxes and DECREASING the deficit and the debt?

False hope.

No.

Increased business and employment as a result of those efforts equal increase revenue for the government.

The "Lowering" of corporate taxes is a good thing if coupled with loophole closures. As it stands 2/3rds of major corporations are not putting in their fair share.

You put way too much faith in unions.

Do you really believe that increasing the length of the school day forcing teachers to work 9 hour days, and lengthening the school year by a month will increase the need for teachers?

It will ONLY result in higher salary demands by the teachers unions.

Afterall, the student base isnt going to change....

My mom is a teacher.

And from where I sit..the problems faced by students have very little to do with Unions. And much more to do with developmental and cultural issues.

We need much more in terms of classes that get "special" needs kids up to speed. When they are mixed with other students they are disruptive and cause problems.

Except he didn't do any of that.

GT. I wasn't necessarily speaking about OL'BO just SOTU speeches in general.

I guess you're complementing him then for going outside of that box.

He delivered his speech very well. He usually does as he's a very good public speaker.

Wonder if he really believe he can accomplish any of the things he was speaking about?? We are broke after all.

I still think the SOTU should be on a memo and sent to each member of congress.

Last edited:
No.

Do you really believe that increasing the length of the school day forcing teachers to work 9 hour days, and lengthening the school year by a month will increase the need for teachers?

School is 6 hours here in NY, not 8, and if teachers stay 8 which they probably do, I think they could streamline their processes and still stay for 8 with school increasing to 7.

That was my point....and why it will not increase the need for teachers (increasing employment)...but WILL increase in cost seeing as the union will insist a higher salary for more hours worked.

And here in Nassau County? They are required to stay only 1 hour after their last class to offer extra help. If no student arrives within 35 minutes of their last class they are entitled to leave. Where do they go? Private tutoring as allowed by their contract. Rate they are allowed to charge? No limit. Average per hour tutoring offered by unionized teachers in Nassau County? 60 per hour AVERAGE with 80 an hour being the average during regents and SAT weeks.

But I got off topic.

FYI...I know this as my wifes sister is a teacher in Nassau County.

What was there in the SOTU a person could approve or disapprove of? We had heard it all before. There was nothing earth shattering in the speech, not inspiring calls to service, no moving suggestions that might solve the countries woes. It was a bland and boring rehash of the crap we've been fed for the last few years.

Approve, disapprove, who cares?

No.

My mom is a teacher.

And from where I sit..the problems faced by students have very little to do with Unions. And much more to do with developmental and cultural issues.

We need much more in terms of classes that get "special" needs kids up to speed. When they are mixed with other students they are disruptive and cause problems.

Does your mom offer the less financially well off private tutoring for free or at a discount?

Not knocking your mom....but as it is here on Long Island...only the wealthy get the advantage of private tutoring thanks to a union contract.

Pretty ironic.......no?

False hope.

In other words....if you were listening....

' I will increase spending (he referred to it as investment) while decreasing taxes and decreasing our deficit and debt'

Pipe dream.

Actually, you don't quite think too far into these things before getting all cynical and partisan.

He didn't say "I will increase spending," necessarily. You forgot to factor in all of the cuts he talked about that are necessary and the Commission to get rid of dumb Beaurocracies like the 2 Salmon ones.

If you put it all together, that doesn't say "i will increase spending, cut taxes, AND reduce the debt!"

It says I'll decrease spending, spend what we do spend wiser and with regard for getting back to being #1, and I will cut corporate Taxes by closing irrelevant loop-holes that others have had for so long. Try comprehending it as a whole instead of bickering just to bicker.

He says a lot of stupid shit he never gets around to doing. This time won't be any different.

' I will increase spending (he referred to it as investment) while decreasing taxes and decreasing our deficit and debt'

Pipe dream.

Actually, you don't quite think too far into these things before getting all cynical and partisan.

He didn't say "I will increase spending," necessarily. You forgot to factor in all of the cuts he talked about that are necessary and the Commission to get rid of dumb Beaurocracies like the 2 Salmon ones.

If you put it all together, that doesn't say "i will increase spending, cut taxes, AND reduce the debt!"

It says I'll decrease spending, spend what we do spend wiser and with regard for getting back to being #1, and I will cut corporate Taxes by closing irrelevant loop-holes that others have had for so long. Try comprehending it as a whole instead of bickering just to bicker.

He says a lot of stupid shit he never gets around to doing. This time won't be any different.

Like passing healthcare? oh wait.

Anyways, if that was true of every president ever we'd be a pretty fucked up place.

Pipe dream.

Personally, I was inuslted by the way he spoke to the people. As you know Willow, I was starting to goive the man credit and even offered him the possibility of my vote next time around.

But after this SOTU address? He is nothing but a mind manipulator simply looking for votes.

He discussed the impossible in an effort to get as many people to love him as possible.

Call me partisan if you want.....but that is how I saw him this time around.

Anyways, if that was true of every president ever we'd be a pretty fucked up place.

And it doesnt bother you that the twop things he promised the people are now being said as likely NOT TRUE by independant CBO auditors? (I bleive they were CBO)

Referring to lower costs and "keep youy doctor"

So you applaud a man who got something passed based on things he stated as fact when, in fact, they were not fact and not even educated guesses?

Personally, I was inuslted by the way he spoke to the people. As you know Willow, I was starting to goive the man credit and even offered him the possibility of my vote next time around.

But after this SOTU address? He is nothing but a mind manipulator simply looking for votes.

He discussed the impossible in an effort to get as many people to love him as possible.

Call me partisan if you want.....but that is how I saw him this time around.

Well the first problem is that it's subjective opinion that it's "impossible." Second, that's not a very good "effort to get people to love him," because most Politicians who write checks they can't cash.............yea, it doesn't end well for them in Campaigns the next election cycle. He actually puts his neck out when he makes promises, contrary to your opinion. (which mine is also).

You're knocking him for suppositions and guess-shit that's all subjective opinion.

Last edited:

And it doesnt bother you that the twop things he promised the people are now being said as likely NOT TRUE by independant CBO auditors? (I bleive they were CBO)

So you applaud a man who got something passed based on things he stated as fact when, in fact, they were not fact and not even educated guesses?

I'm not taking your word for anything you just said, so really...........no answer necessary.

My mom is a teacher.

Does your mom offer the less financially well off private tutoring for free or at a discount?

Not knocking your mom....but as it is here on Long Island...only the wealthy get the advantage of private tutoring thanks to a union contract.

Pretty ironic.......no?

She doesn't do private tutoring..but she works through the summer to help kids get up to speed.

Teachers don't make alot of money either, considering they sometimes have to foot the bill for supplies or work into the night on lesson plans..or grading students.

I'm not taking your word for anything you just said, so really...........no answer necessary.

My opinion?

Did you not see the hearing?

Yes, I saw it UNCUT on fox news....but did you not even hear about the hearing?"

My mom is a teacher.

Pretty ironic.......no?

She doesn't do private tutoring..but she works through the summer to help kids get up to speed.

Teachers don't make alot of money either, considering they sometimes have to foot the bill for supplies or work into the night on lesson plans..or grading students.

Does hs not get paid during the summer when she helps kids get up to speed?

With Tenure in Nassau county a teacher of 15 years makes 90LK base salary..

Now...this is to be there from 8 to 4....with an hour lunch and no more than five (5) 42 minute classes daily.

It is to work 5 days a week with all of the national holidays off; plus election day; friday after thanksgiving....2 weeks winter break....1 week february break....1 week to 10 days spring break (depending on how many snow days were used) and 2 months and 2 weeks off summer break.

Plus, per contract...from 4PM to whenver, they are allowed to private tutor at any rate they desire...and by contract...they can private tutor the students they cirrently teach.

Sorry if they need to grade exams at night....Many of us business owners and management work at night too....and dont have 8-4 days and an addtional means of income.

My opinion?

Yes, I saw it UNCUT on fox news....but did you not even hear about the hearing?"

What I said was, I don't take anything you said above as fact simply because you said it. No, I didn't see the hearing.

I'm not going to be like you or any pompass ass (which is not you) and pretend that a 2k COMPLEX assed bill is and can be fully understood by anyone not studied on the topic.

And if the "CBO" only is as "good as the information they're given" then there's THAT...........OR, if the CBO is good on their WORD, then the HealthCAre bill saves money in the long term, so then there's THAT.

Last edited:

My opinion?

Wow...did the MSM really not air the healthcare hearing earlier in the week?
Did they really not report on the embarrasment?

Two questions were asked of the auditor:

1) Is it true or false that it will decrease costs

Answer: False

2) is it true that no one will have to givew up their doctor if they dont want to

Answer: Not in all cases

My opinion?

What I said was, I don't take anything you said above as fact simply because you said it. No, I didn't see the hearing.

I'm not going to be like you or any pompass ass (which is not you) and pretend that a 2k COMPLEX assed bill is and can be fully understood by anyone not studied on the topic.

And if the "CBO" only is as "good as the information they're given" then there's THAT...........OR, if the CBO is good on their WORD, then the HealthCAre bill saves money in the long term, so then there's THAT.

The reason for the hearing was they were asked to evaluate with actual figures based on actual data and offer their assessment....as opposed to using the figures they were handed at the beginning.

I am just kind of shocked that the peoples congress had this hearing and the media deemed it not important for you to know about the outcome. It created some serious infighting in the WH.

Yet the media are so quick to tell you about Brittany and her rehab.

My opinion?

The reason for the hearing was they were asked to evaluate with actual figures based on actual data and offer their assessment....as opposed to using the figures they were handed at the beginning.

I am just kind of shocked that the peoples congress had this hearing and the media deemed it not important for you to know about the outcome. It created some serious infighting in the WH.

Yea, I suppose I should take this with the same grain of salt that everyone seems to take the CBO with when they don't like their numbers huh?
:eek:

Yea, I suppose I should take this with the same grain of salt that everyone seems to take the CBO with when they don't like their numbers huh?
:eek:

I always refused to accept the CBO seeing as they can call it Non partisan all they want.....but when it is one party that offers them the data to evaluate, you know it will be skewed.

But this was a BI PARTISAN hearing...and the data given to them was actual data APPROVED as VALID by committee heads of BOTH parties....

And as I said...it created some pretty interesting democratic infighting after the hearing.

I really think you should look into it. I found it very concerning......

Forum List

Back