Catholics are Christians?

in original meaning, yes, Catholic church was founded in 1054 year, a thousands years after Christ. Nothing better with protestants, their religion was founded even later.

The Church's birthday is the Pentecost following the Resurrection. The schism developed in 1054.

The Book of James, by some opinions, written by Yeshua's brother.
The Book of James was Cannonized at the end of TNT because James states that the Commandments are mandatory and Paul is an asshole.

I think it is more likely that James had to straighten out a few nitwits who heard Paul's words on dietary law and the like and thought the same applied to moral law. Paul was strong on moral law; it was the laws involving things like diet and circumcision to which he objected.

Nothing "developed" in orhodox Church. Novations were made in westerns branch, so catholic church was founded in 1054.

I think Catholics know when their own Church was founded. But let's talk about Novations. What do you see these novations as being?

Nothing "developed" in orhodox Church. Novations were made in westerns branch, so catholic church was founded in 1054.

I think Catholics know when their own Church was founded. But let's talk about Novations. What do you see these novations as being?
Yeah orthodoxes know too. It is not a close information, is it?
Novations - i mean changes in symbol of faith and also conditions about pope's impeccancy. There are many others (you could read if you wish).

Last edited:
The Book of James, by some opinions, written by Yeshua's brother.
The Book of James was Cannonized at the end of TNT because James states that the Commandments are mandatory and Paul is an asshole.

I think it is more likely that James had to straighten out a few nitwits who heard Paul's words on dietary law and the like and thought the same applied to moral law. Paul was strong on moral law; it was the laws involving things like diet and circumcision to which he objected.

You are correct; and that's exactly why James tells Paul he's a schmuck.
Read it.

I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain
One can safely assume one created God in one's own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do and believes all the same things you do.
-- 320 Years of History

I genuinely do not understand how one can expect to be taken seriously on much of anything political while in a state of denial about Catholicism's being a form of Christianity! It's not at all disconcerting that one or many do not accept all or part of Catholic dogma; people have been doing that since the first century A.D. It's appalling that anyone actually asserts that Catholics are not Christian.

Are there truly people, adults, who went to high school in U.S. and who were not at least taught the barest shreds of "411" the following historical events/facts, even if they didn't actually master the material?
  • The Jesus was not a Christian; he was a Jew.
  • Christianity was born out of Judaism.
  • That from the first to fourth century A.D. the Romans persecuted thousands of Christians.
  • The earliest references to "Catholic Church" date to about 100 A.D.
  • Emperor Constantine's conversion to Christianity lead directly to the ascendancy of that belief system and the specific faith that gained legitimacy from it is the Catholic one.
  • There are two primary groups (rites) of Catholicism: Latin (Roman) and Eastern (Greek).
  • The history of the Western world from the fourth century to the Renaissance cannot be accurately told without, at every turn, discussing the role of Christianity, and the form of Christianity that existed for most of that period is Catholicism.
  • Protestant Christianity by and large came to exist, as the name suggests, when various Catholics protested against a number of dogmas and actions of the Catholic Church. Some of the early points of dissent, protest, happened in the late 1300s and early 1400s, but the "big deal" protest didn't happen until the 16th century. Martin Luther's 95 Thesis (published around 1515), a denouncing of the principle of indulgences, "officially" marks the beginning of the Reformation. John Calvin, a theologian, can be thought of as the "marketer" or "great communicator" of Reformationist/Protestant doctrine. Henry VIII's creation of the Anglican Church when he could not convince the Pope to annul his marriage to Catherine effectively ensured that Protestantism was "here to stay."
Additionally, one should surely have at least been exposed to the following terms, every one of which was either associated with, a part of, a refutation of, embattled with, or caused, in part or entirely, by the Catholic Church :
  • Crusades
  • Reformation
  • Huguenots
  • Gnosticism
  • Albigensians and Cathars (or perhaps acquired the words "catharsis" or "cathartic" in one's vocabulary)
  • The (Spanish) Inquisition
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Charlemagne
  • Every non-Moorish European king and queen crowned between the fourth century A.D. and 1500
  • The Moors
  • The fall of Granada
  • The Divine Right of Kings
  • Guttenberg
  • Council of Nicea
  • Concordat of Worms
  • The Diet of Worms
  • Summa Theologica
  • Joan of Arc
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Council of Trent
Dear God! The list above is but the "tip of the iceberg" of topics one may have encountered that would indicate that Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Is it really possible to literally sleep through that much of Early Western Civilization (or whatever passes for that class in high school these days) that one cannot have picked up, if only by "osmosis," that Catholicism is the relevant form of Christianity in the discussion of all those topics listed above? Lord, have mercy! Are there truly folks who think all that stuff was done by early Mormons, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Unitarian Universalists, or one of the other Protestant sects?

I'll just close this part of my post with a quote that for the sentient among us -- Christian or not -- says all that need be said.
A few slave holders were undeniably cruel. Examples of slaves beaten to death were not common, neither were they unknown. The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well.
― Glen Chambers, United States History For Christian Schools

I saw that on a thread I was on the other day....I believe it was the poster Rustic who said that....that Catholics aren't Christians. But then again, he also said that Christianity isn't a religion. :cuckoo:

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.
― William F. Buckley, Jr.

I'm equally incredulous and bewildered, so much so that it is inconceivable to me that someone, short of willfully opting to exist in a state of unabashed ignorance, can honestly believe that to be so. How does one conclude that the Christians referred to in any grade school, middle school, or high school history text and that discusses the first 1500 years of the common era's history were anything other than Catholics?

Unadulterated pedantry is practically the only way in which one can obliquely approach legitimacy in saying that "Catholics aren't Christians." One would have to speak/write with specific reference to one or several clans -- Cristian, Christian, McChristian, McChristianston, etc. -- thought to date from before 1066 (Battle of Hastings) but that certainly existed in 1066. But then again, maybe member Rusic is a Scot, or Scots history afficionado, or even a McChristian of sorts, and did in fact have that as his frame of reference...

People wrap themselves in their beliefs. And they do it in such a way that you can't set them free. Not even the truth will set them free.
― Michael Specter

Last edited:
I notice and hear a lot of comments form protestants especially born again types that Catholics aren't Christians. Can someone please explain
One can safely assume one created God in one's own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do and believes all the same things you do.
-- 320 Years of History

I genuinely do not understand how one can expect to be taken seriously on much of anything political while in a state of denial about Catholicism's being a form of Christianity! It's not at all disconcerting that one or many do not accept all or part of Catholic dogma; people have been doing that since the first century A.D. It's appalling that anyone actually asserts that Catholics are not Christian.

Are there truly people, adults, who went to high school in U.S. and who were not at least taught the barest shreds of "411" the following historical events/facts, even if they didn't actually master the material:
  • That from the first to fourth century A.D. the Romans persecuted thousands of Christians.
  • Emperor Constantine's conversion to Christianity lead directly to the ascendancy of that belief system and the specific faith that gained legitimacy from it is the Catholic one.
  • There are two primary groups (rites) of Catholicism: Latin (Roman) and Eastern (Greek).
  • The history of the Western world from the fourth century to the Renaissance cannot be accurately told without, at every turn, discussing the role of Christianity, and the form of Christianity that existed for most of that period is Catholicism.
  • Protestant Christianity by and large came to exist, as the name suggests, when various Catholics protested against a number of dogmas and actions of the Catholic Church. Some of the early points of dissent, protest, happened in the late 1300s and early 1400s, but the "big deal" protest didn't happen until the 16th century. Martin Luther's 95 Thesis (published around 1515), a denouncing of the principle of indulgences, "officially" marks the beginning of the Reformation. John Calvin, a theologian, can be thought of as the "marketer" or "great communicator" of Reformationist/Protestant doctrine. Henry VIII's creation of the Anglican Church when he could not convince the Pope to annul his marriage to Catherine effectively ensured that Protestantism was "here to stay."
Additionally, one should surely have at least been exposed to the following terms, every one of which was either associated with, a part of, a refutation of, embattled with, or caused, in part or entirely, by the Catholic Church :
  • Crusades
  • Reformation
  • Huguenots
  • Gnosticism
  • Albigensians and Cathars (or perhaps acquired the words "catharsis" or "cathartic" in one's vocabulary)
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Charlemagne
  • Every non-Moorish European king and queen crowned between the fourth century A.D. and 1500
  • The Moors
  • The fall of Granada
  • Guttenberg
  • Council of Nicea
  • Concordat of Worms
  • The Diet of Worms
  • Summa Theologica
  • Joan of Arc
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Council of Trent
Dear God! The list above is but the "tip of the iceberg" of topics one may have encountered that would indicate that Catholicism is a form of Christianity. Is it really possible to literally sleep through that much of Early Western Civilization (or whatever passes for that class in high school these days) that one cannot have picked up, if only by "osmosis," that Catholicism is the relevant form of Christianity in the discussion of all those topics listed above? Lord, have mercy! Are there truly folks who think all that stuff was done by early Mormons, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Unitarian Universalists, or one of the other Protestant sects?

I'll just close this part of my post with a quote that for the sentient among us -- Christian or not -- says all that need be said.
A few slave holders were undeniably cruel. Examples of slaves beaten to death were not common, neither were they unknown. The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well.

I saw that on a thread I was on the other day....I believe it was the poster Rustic who said that....that Catholics aren't Christians. But then again, he also said that Christianity isn't a religion. :cuckoo:

I'm equally incredulous and bewildered, so much so that it is inconceivable to me that someone, short of willfully opting to exist in a state of unabashed ignorance, can honestly believe that to be so. How does one conclude that the Christians referred to in any grade school, middle school, or high school history text and that discusses the first 1500 years of the common era's history were anything other than Catholics?

Unadulterated pedantry is practically the only way in which one can obliquely approach legitimacy in saying that "Catholics aren't Christians." One would have to speak/write with specific reference to one or several clans -- Cristian, Christian, McChristian, McChristianston, etc. -- thought to date from before 1066 (Battle of Hastings) but that certainly existed in 1066. But then again, maybe member Rusic is a Scot, or Scots history afficionado, or even a McChristian of sorts, and did in fact have that as his frame of reference...

People wrap themselves in their beliefs. And they do it in such a way that you can't set them free. Not even the truth will set them free.
― Michael Specter
I genuinely do not understand how one can expect to be taken seriously on much of anything political while in a state of denial about Catholicism's being a form of Christianity! I

I asked a question I did not make a statement, Do you have reading comprehension problems?

-- 320 Years of History

Are there truly people, adults, who went to high school in U.S. and who were not at least taught the barest shreds of "411" the following historical events/facts, even if they didn't actually master the material:
  • Crusades
  • Reformation
  • Huguenots
  • Gnosticism
  • Holy Roman Empire
  • Charlemagne
  • The Moors
  • The fall of Granada
  • Guttenberg
  • Council of Nicea
  • Concordat of Worms
  • The Diet of Worms
  • Summa Theologica
  • Joan of Arc
  • Sistine Chapel
  • Council of Trent

Unadulterated pedantry is practically the only way in which one can obliquely approach legitimacy in saying that "Catholics aren't Christians." One would have to speak/write with specific reference to one or several clans -- Cristian, Christian, McChristian, McChristianston, etc. -- thought to date from before 1066 (Battle of Hastings) but that certainly existed in 1066. But then again, maybe member Rusic is a Scot, or Scots history aficionado, or even a McChristian of sorts, and did in fact have that as his frame of reference...

― Michael Specter
I genuinely do not understand how one can expect to be taken seriously on much of anything political while in a state of denial about Catholicism's being a form of Christianity! I

I asked a question I did not make a statement, Do you have reading comprehension problems?

No, I don't. Gleaning and inferring are things with which I think you do have difficulty, and given the tone of your remarks -- suggesting I refuted a statement you made -- it seems even the denotation of the pronoun "one" has eluded you. You'll notice that not once did I claim or imply that you are among the folks who claim Catholicism/Catholics are not Christians. I purposefully used indefinite pronouns because it wasn't apparent in your OP whether you are or are not among the individuals who think Catholicism is not a Christian belief system.
Indeed, I thought it entirely possible that you share my astonishment that there exist folks who truly think Catholicism isn't a Christian faith, but I wasn't certain of that because it too wasn't made clear in the OP. As a result, I elected to "explain" by offering a litany of historical events that show quite clearly that Catholicism is a form of Christianity, moreover, the first form of it.

Christianity is any belief system based upon the teachings of Jesus Christ (hence "Christian"); Catholicism meets that requirement. Period. Regardless of the dogmatic differences fundamentalist Protestants have with Catholicism, they are simply, factually, historically, wrong about Catholicism not being a Christian belief system. There is no other way to explain it.

If you want to know the dogmatic and practical differences between Catholicism and other forms of Christianity, Google is your friend:

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.

how do you say that when catholics came before protestants?

Weren't the first 'Christians' though. Gnostics were. Catholics tried wiping out the Gnostics so their way would define the emergent Christianity instead. Pretty much succeeded too.

If you use the 'who came first is the most legit' method you're gonn ahave major problems because not even Judaism came first. Human religion goes back hundreds of thousands of years. Isn't until the invention of writing though that we have recorded religion. That only goes back about 10,000 years.

i think my point is that they have no business deciding who is a "real" christian or not.

Well no, can make some assumptions about what a real Christian is and what it isn't. Real Christian is someone who uses the BIble alone. Not all the added stuff as with Catholicism, Mormonism (Book of Mormon,) and whatever else.

A true Christian should be no denomination at all at simply do as the very first Gnostic-Christians did and read the gospels and Biblical texts without all the added denomination-centric doctrine and dogma. Nothing in the Scriptures about Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. That's all Man-invented stuff. Wanna be a Christian, or Christ-follower as I've heard used, should just be using the Bible and what it says, not what someone in the 18th or 19th century says you should do.

i'd disagree. a "christian" is someone who believes in jesus christ as the messiah. the rest is just accouterments.

For once, Jillian is correct. Someone mark the calendar.

Theologically, I'd have to agree they're not true Christians. Nothing about a lot of what Catholics do religously like praying to Mary, saints, etc. in the Bible. And much of their doctrine seems to define and decide things for them moreso than the Bible. As a result I'd say they're more analogus to Mormons than Protestant Christians.
If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.
Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

Who says Christianity began with the first gospel getting written down?

No Gospel existed during Jesus' life and ministry period. Just Judaism and those texts. So all he coulda had to teach was Judaism. GOlden rule is literaly Judaism. Skim through Jewish commandments and ask yourself if things Jesus taught are original, or just Jew-stuff. :) It was all Jew-stuff.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
He was completing the Jewish text, fulfilling prophesies in the Jewish text! Of course the teachings are similar. You are not really suggesting that His teachings ie Gospel, weren't in effect till it got written down and the New Testament was bound in a book, are you?

I was actually getting caught on his interesting notion that God is bound by religion, rather than defining religion.

If being a true Christian requires literally following the Bible than a whole bunch of people Jesus and his apostles taught were not real Christians.

Jesus was Jewish and never a Christian. He personally had nothing to do with what became Christianity and died long before any of ther gospels had been written. If we say Christianity began with the first gospel getting written and put into use then Christianity didn't begin until at least a generation after Jesus. Everything Jesus taught was Judaism.
Jesus was Jewish but he wasn't teaching Judaism. He was the Christ. Those who believe in Him are Christians. Just because they weren't called Christians back then doesn't mean they weren't believers in Jesus Christ, i.e. Christians.

actually he was teaching judaism. he was a zealot who wanted the romans out of rome. where he took umbrage with the jews of jerusalem was his activism against the san hedrin and the high priests. what his FOLLOWERS taught, so many years later when the gospels were written, was what they thought non-jews would adopt since jews largely rejected their teachings. when christianity was finally adopted by rome, the teachings were culled to incorporate the beliefs of the pagans of rome. that's why you get things like jesus being born in december and being born in bethlehem... when we know it would have been entirely unlikely that rome would have shut down all business in judea in order to have some type census or collect taxes.

as to real christians v. fake christians... my feeling is if you believe in christ as messiah, you're a christian.

people should leave each other alone. (that is not directed at you, btw).
I don't buy that Jesus who came to save ALL people from sin was a zealot who wanted the Romans out. That doesn't make sense. Anyway. I agree with you that if you believe Christ is the messiah, the Son of God, you are a Christian.

you can buy it or not. we don't believe he was messiah. that's fine.

but my beliefs are as valid as yours.

Who said they weren't? In fact, who the hell was talking about your frigging beliefs at all?

See, you have one shining moment of lucidity, and then descend into self-absorbed babbling again. So disappointing.

No Gospel existed during Jesus' life and ministry period. Just Judaism and those texts. So all he coulda had to teach was Judaism. GOlden rule is literaly Judaism. Skim through Jewish commandments and ask yourself if things Jesus taught are original, or just Jew-stuff. :) It was all Jew-stuff.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)
He was completing the Jewish text, fulfilling prophesies in the Jewish text! Of course the teachings are similar. You are not really suggesting that His teachings ie Gospel, weren't in effect till it got written down and the New Testament was bound in a book, are you?

you understand that we don't believe that, right?
Who is "we"?
Although this is getting off the thread topic , clarification is needed on this issue

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus
For 2,000 years Jews have rejected the Christian idea of Jesus as messiah. Why?

Why Jews Don't Believe In Jesus

That's fine. Not sure what that has to do with the actual thread topic, though.

Jews would not be considered Christians, unless they also happen to have converted.

The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is Christian by definition.

Whether or not one likes or agrees with their practices is irrelevant to that fact.

All Catholics are Christians but not all Christians are Catholics.

I am referring to devout worshippers

The Idea of a Christian has a multi- meaning. You will find that there are no Catholics in The Scriptures and no Catholic faith or teachings in the Scriptures. ( The Term or IDEA of a Catholic or a Catholic Saint, Pope Catholic Priest, Nun, A Catholic Mary, A Catholic Church and MOST Catholic Traditions are Never found in Scriptures.

It is the Roman Catholic Church and Community that has Alienated and Denied Non Catholics as Saints.
It is the Roman Catholic Church and Community that has Alienated and Accused Non Catholic Christians as being NOT CHRISTIANS / NOT SAVED / DAMNED / DOOMED and GOING TO HELL... !

REMEMBER - That The Great Pope Gregory XVI - Declares that "MISGUIDED PEOPLE attempt TO PERSUADE themselves and others ,THAT MEN ARE NOT SAVED ONLY IN THE CATHOLIC RELIGION, but that even heretics may attain eternal life.'
The Summo Iugiter (On Mixed Marriages), Encyclical promulgated on May 27, 1832, #2

And .... the Great Pope Eugenius IV - Declares that " All OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, Jews or heretics CANNOT SHARE IN ETERNAL life and will GO INTO THE EVERLASTING FIRE, which was prepared for the devil and his angels, UNLESS THEY ARE JOINED TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH .
and The Bull of Union with the Copts', Council of Florence, Session 11, on February 4, 1442.

There are so many, many more Hurtful Statements of Popes who make Demands that one Must be a Romantic Catholic in order to be saved and to serve the SAME God.

Such as - 'Heretics (those who are NOT MEMBERS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH or who DO NOT HOLD TO CATHOLIC DOCTRINE) - Worship a God WHO IS A LIAR, and a CHRIST WHO IS A LIAR.'
This is the message of the Great Catholic Father - St. Augustine, (quoted in 'Patrologiae Cursus Completus: Series Graca', by Fr. J. P. Migne, Paris: 1866, 42:207).

There are Hundreds of Statements made by Popes, Priests and Individual Catholics - These Statements have eXcluded and Denied and Banned - ALL - Non Catholic Christians as being CHRISTIANS or Obtaining Salvation and Eternal Life / heaven.

After 1700 Years of Romantic Catholic eXistance- Note - That there has never been a single Non Catholic Saint. Catholics Do not Allow Non Catholics to be Saints and they are not Allowed in heaven.

With All of this ongoing for the last 1700 years of Catholic Church eXistance plus the fact that there are no idols or Images of Catholic Saints in the Scriptures, no Purgatory in the Bible, No praying to the dead, With the bible COMMANDING ..* Do not commune with the dead.

There is No, Catholic Eucharist. You will Notice that - Not a single APOSTLE or Disciple....EVER ONCE....taught the Catholic Teaching of Eucharist.

And Jesus Declared that His Physical Flesh was not Profitable and not the SUBJECT of the Statement. But His Word was the Nourishment and Life.

There is no No, Indulgences and SELLING salvation for MONEY, Not a single scripture about eternal Virginity Of Mary. There is no Prophecy or Future Role for the Catholic Church in the Revelations of the Future in Scriptures. No one is praying to Mary or anyone But Jesus ALONE. SOLA Christ. There is no declaration of Mary as Mediator / CO~ Redeemer / Co Mediatrix with an intercessory role - There is No giving Mary the title OF HEAVENLY MOTHER / QUEEN OF HEAVEN .... Not a single claim that Mary was sinless, The Rosary is not mentioned on a single page of the Bible

There is No MANDATORY Celibacy for any church Elders - With the BIBLE commanding Elders and BISHOPS are to be married. THERE IS no Prophecy or Future Role FOR catholic teaching or for the Catholic Church.
In The Bible.

Non Catholic Christians are exactly Where Satan and God have put them. They are eXcluded and demonized by the Catholic Church and accused of being Evil and never obtain Salvation or Heaven or Sainthood.

Non Catholic Christians Are Always are Trusting in Gods word and deny the Man Made fables and inventions of the deceivers in Rome and the Vatican.

REMEMBER. Catholics Do not have any Non Catholic Saints. After 1700 years. *( one Thousand Seven Hundred Years } not a single Christian has made it to Sainthood by Roman Catholics.... This is Hatred and Evil.

Catholics Are perverted and they Lie. - Pretending to be Your Christian Friend in God. But their Goal is to destroy Your faith in Gods Word and to make mockery of Your Faith in a Book and Faith in biblical Characters and a God - that they Literally Hate and despise.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ was a Jew who taught a doctrine that was not Jewish.
I would have to say that isn't quite right......Jesus came to tell the Jews they had misunderstood the purpose of the law and that he had come to fulfill the law as promised by the prophets Isaiah and Jeremiah.......those that accepted this teaching became known as Christians, those that rejected it kept the name Jews.......

Forum List

Back