Catholic university asks president to resign after he compared struggling students to ‘bunnies’

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The faculty of a Catholic Maryland university voted overwhelmingly to unseat their embattled president, who crassly compared to struggling freshman to bunnies that need to be shot while announcing a controversial plan to offer tuition refunds to failing students who choose to leave on in the semester.

Mount St. Mary's University faculty voted 87-3 Friday night to ask Simon Newman to resign. The condemning vote came even after the president announced earlier in the day that he was reinstating the staffers he ousted.

“It has become apparent that negative public attention has interfered with our ability to continue in our work and to bring new students and faculty to this campus,” the faculty wrote in a letter to Newman.
Catholic college asks ‘bunny-shooting’ president to resign

This is the original source of the comments:
While discussing the faculty’s likely reaction to such a move, Murry told Newman, “Even if I had the power of mind-control over the faculty, I couldn’t convince them this would be a good idea.”

According to Murry, during the course of the conversation, Newman said, “This is hard for you because you think of the students as cuddly bunnies, but you can’t. You just have to drown the bunnies…put a Glock to their heads.”

Mount President's Attempt to Improve Retention Rate Included Seeking Dismissal of 20-25 First-Year Students

And here is the Washington Post Article
University president allegedly says struggling freshmen are bunnies that should be drowned

What an unwise thing to utter for someone in his position.

In the course of their email conversations? Personally, I don't think it would be a big deal if I were working with him. That's the whole reason these kids aren't making it, they have been coddled like bunnies.

However, apparently his boss didn't think this language was an appropriate metaphor for business emails. So this school was not a good fit for him to be working at. I don't know what this gossip is the whole world's business though. . .

Apparently it's not the place for him to be working. No big deal.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back