Cat hunting?

Mr. P said:
Just think how nice that mount will look on the livingroom wall.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=662272&page=1

i don't like the idea of shooting cats. i am the owner of 3 kitties myself. but i also know that the feral cats can be a real nuisance. many cannot ever be made pets, because they have never been, or have been stray for so long. i would feel better about a non-lethal solution, like capturing the cats, sterilizing them so they can't breed, and maybe setting up a piece of land, fenced off, for them to live freely. but i'm sure that won't happen. meanwhile, maybe shooting them is the only real solution at this time.

I'm a dog person myself. I'd let you get away with slapping me, but hurt one of my critters and they're going to have to pry my hands off your throat with the jaws of life.

That said, I do believe in shooting feral animals, including dogs, which pose a hazard.

From P's article:

The proposal, which was raised five years ago and voted down by the congress, was revived after a 2004 University of Wisconsin study that found non-native feral cats were a threat to native animals such as lovebirds.

Estimates of the number of songbirds killed each year by feral cats in Wisconsin alone range from 8 million to 217 million, though the number is actually believed to be around 39 million, said Steven Oestreicher, the chairman of the congress.

"When you're talking about millions and millions of songbirds in state, you've got take a harder look at this," he said.

This problem is hardly limited to Wisconsin. Matter of fact, I saw a report some years ago which outlined exactly the same kind of problem in Miami FL. Feral cats had set up housekeeping in a site which was a stop along the migration route of a certain species of birds. As usual, the only thing the damn politician accomplished was getting a lot of face time in front of a TV camera wringing their hands, pontificating, and saying how they can see both sides of the issue.

Merlin1047 said:
I'm a dog person myself. I'd let you get away with slapping me, but hurt one of my critters and they're going to have to pry my hands off your throat with the jaws of life.

That said, I do believe in shooting feral animals, including dogs, which pose a hazard.

From P's article:

This problem is hardly limited to Wisconsin. Matter of fact, I saw a report some years ago which outlined exactly the same kind of problem in Miami FL. Feral cats had set up housekeeping in a site which was a stop along the migration route of a certain species of birds. As usual, the only thing the damn politician accomplished was getting a lot of face time in front of a TV camera wringing their hands, pontificating, and saying how they can see both sides of the issue.

We may have to wait until they start speading diseases before we can do something that's not PC. You know--a few hundred dead kids.

Forum List

Back