Can't Run for Mayor Just Because You Don't Speak English? Bummer!

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
Seriously? THIS is a violation of civil rights? That's what an
attorney is claiming. What bullshit. I mean c'mon! I don't even have a
problem with immigrants or whatever but if you want to be mayor of a
US City, you have to be able to speak English.

This would be what our ConservaRepubs call moonbattery (although I
don't believe any Dems, ACLU or Liberal organizations are behind her
on this one - she just hired a local lawyer). It's still whacky. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
I hope this does go to the supreme court... and it backfires on their asses... and English is declared the official language of the USA!

fuck them.

From your link:

Lawyers for Alejandrina Cabrera, a candidate for the City Council in the border community of San Luis, Ariz., said Thursday that they might appeal to the Arizona Supreme Court a lower-court ruling that Ms. Cabrera be removed from the ballot because she did not speak English proficiently.

Mayor?

Attention to detail.

Did 'I' claim they were running for mayor? No, the OP did, and they were in error. I simply provided the link you requested to the story the OP was talking about. But by all means, whine. It amuses me.

From your link:

Lawyers for Alejandrina Cabrera, a candidate for the City Council in the border community of San Luis, Ariz., said Thursday that they might appeal to the Arizona Supreme Court a lower-court ruling that Ms. Cabrera be removed from the ballot because she did not speak English proficiently.

Mayor?

Attention to detail.

Did 'I' claim they were running for mayor? No, the OP did, and they were in error. I simply provided the link you requested to the story the OP was talking about. But by all means, whine. It amuses me.

All right wingers look alike to Saltie.

From your link:

Mayor?

Attention to detail.

All right wingers look alike to Saltie.

It's because I'm white.

From your link:

Mayor?

Attention to detail.

Oooh wow! OMG I'm, I'm hurt! :lol: Whatever dude, I just saw it on CNN in the background while I was working. Still, if you want to run for office, learn basic English.

Is there a specific law that requires her to be proficient in English? If not than there is no reason she can't be.

I think it be stupid to elect someone who can't speak the language. at least if you want to get anything done. But unless there is a law supporting this, I dont see how they can keep you off a ballot for that. And if there is a law, and it would be reasonable for their to be one, then there isnt much she can do.

Is she a citizen btw? Im assuming so but you never know.

Please press one if you would like to speak to Ms. Alejandrina Cabrera in English....oh wait, she doesn't speak it.

Is there a specific law that requires her to be proficient in English? If not than there is no reason she can't be.

I think it be stupid to elect someone who can't speak the language. at least if you want to get anything done. But unless there is a law supporting this, I dont see how they can keep you off a ballot for that. And if there is a law, and it would be reasonable for their to be one, then there isnt much she can do.

Is she a citizen btw? Im assuming so but you never know.

Yes she's a citizen and I don't know if there's a law. Like I said, just heard it in the background while working...

If she qualifies for all of the requirements to run-she should obviously be able to legally run. You don't bend the law either way, whether people like it or not.

At Council meetings, though, the materials delivered to the members are in English and much of the discussion is in English, too, officials say. During public comments, the language often shifts to Spanish as people more comfortable in that language take the microphone. To accommodate those who are not bilingual, an interpreter is on hand and headphones are available.

“This is the law,” Mr. Gimbut said, arguing that the 1910 act granting Arizona statehood required officeholders to perform their duties in English without the aid of a translator. “It’s been on the books since statehood.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/u...lish-under-challenge.html?pagewanted=2&ref=us

I have a friend who teaches ESL to students from all over the world. She claims that most are fluent in English within two years. Those who are not are tested for a learning disability.

This woman graduated from an AZ high school. How? Special education?

Forum List

Back