Can't Run for Mayor Just Because You Don't Speak English? Bummer!

It really is a matter for the voters, not the court.

Yes...it is...to a degree.

If 51% if the voters vote for a particular ideology, then yes, the rest have to follow and be OK with it.

However, if 51% of the people speak spanish and dont have an issue with it...is it fair to the rest that they must have an elected official that can not communicate directly with them?

English is not our official language by law...but it is the official language of our schools...teachers must teach in English....

Until ALL are taught in spanish, it is unfiar to force a politician who speaks spanish only, on anyone...even if elected by a majority.

I know....fair is not relevant. But my point is made.

If 51% if the voters vote for a particular ideology, then yes, the rest have to follow and be OK with it.

However, if 51% of the people speak spanish and dont have an issue with it...is it fair to the rest that they must have an elected official that can not communicate directly with them?

English is not our official language by law...but it is the official language of our schools...teachers must teach in English....

Until ALL are taught in spanish, it is unfiar to force a politician who speaks spanish only, on anyone...even if elected by a majority.

Our politicians probably should speak and write english. At minimum.

the US has never had an official language. It was just assumed everyone would be speaking english.

Even England lacks an official language, and to degree there ever was one, it would have been French. Up until the time of Henry VII, the language of court was French and the monarch never bothered with English, the name of the legislature there is a french term for provincial assembly.

If she is competent and the voters like her, they get to voter her in. If she bombs, they vote her out.

How can she be competent if she doesn't surpass a basic survival understanding of English?

For example, could any one of you move to a small Russian town and run for city council (if they have one) without knowing a basic Russian? How the hell does she even know what the current laws are if she cannot read them?

Is there a specific law that requires her to be proficient in English? If not than there is no reason she can't be.

I think it be stupid to elect someone who can't speak the language. at least if you want to get anything done. But unless there is a law supporting this, I dont see how they can keep you off a ballot for that. And if there is a law, and it would be reasonable for their to be one, then there isnt much she can do.

Is she a citizen btw? Im assuming so but you never know.

City business is, theoretically, conducted in English. If her English skills do exceed survival level, which is a vocabulary of 300 words, she should not be running for office.

If she qualifies for all of the requirements to run-she should obviously be able to legally run. You don't bend the law either way, whether people like it or not.

If she met all the requirements the judge would not have removed her from the ballot.

At Council meetings, though, the materials delivered to the members are in English and much of the discussion is in English, too, officials say. During public comments, the language often shifts to Spanish as people more comfortable in that language take the microphone. To accommodate those who are not bilingual, an interpreter is on hand and headphones are available.

“This is the law,” Mr. Gimbut said, arguing that the 1910 act granting Arizona statehood required officeholders to perform their duties in English without the aid of a translator. “It’s been on the books since statehood.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/u...lish-under-challenge.html?pagewanted=2&ref=us

I have a friend who teaches ESL to students from all over the world. She claims that most are fluent in English within two years. Those who are not are tested for a learning disability.

This woman graduated from an AZ high school. How? Special education?

The wonders of bilingual education.

A few have gotten this one right. If she runs and the voters elect her.....all is good.

Mojo Mathers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every person who said that is wrong, the law in Arizona requires candidates to be proficient in English, not just get elected. If she wants to run for president she is qualified, but she is not qualified to be elected to anything in Arizona until she learns English.

the US has never had an official language. It was just assumed everyone would be speaking english.

Even England lacks an official language, and to degree there ever was one, it would have been French. Up until the time of Henry VII, the language of court was French and the monarch never bothered with English, the name of the legislature there is a french term for provincial assembly.

If she is competent and the voters like her, they get to voter her in. If she bombs, they vote her out.

Our forefathers decided that our political meetings would be held in English. They discussed many languages and Dutch was a close 2nd, but English was what they decided on, I'm not sure when they decided that what our forefathers decided no longer counted.

English is not our official language by law...but it is the official language of our schools...teachers must teach in English....Until ALL are taught in spanish, it is unfiar to force a politician who speaks spanish only, on anyone...even if elected by a majority.

I don't think that's correct. My friend has a 9-year old in Spanish-immersion school until he is in 8th-grade. Every single class, every subject is taught in Spanish. He is the smartest kid I have ever met. I looked online and there are Spanish-immersion schools all over the country.

English is not our official language by law...but it is the official language of our schools...teachers must teach in English....Until ALL are taught in spanish, it is unfiar to force a politician who speaks spanish only, on anyone...even if elected by a majority.

I don't think that's correct. My friend has a 9-year old in Spanish-immersion school until he is in 8th-grade. Every single class, every subject is taught in Spanish. He is the smartest kid I have ever met. I looked online and there are Spanish-immersion schools all over the country.

He's the smartest kid you ever met because he can speak Spanish?

Is it a public school?

Most immersion schools I've heard of have 1/2 the time in English and the other half in whatever language they are teaching the kids. I do agree that immersion is the best way to teach a language, but I think that English should be the first language taught. If you already speak spanish, going to a Spanish immerision school (completely spanish) would be a bad thing.

Score one for common sense.

The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday affirmed a ruling that barred a woman from running for a city council seat because she doesn't speak English proficiently.

The state's highest court ruled that Alejandrina Cabrera's name shouldn't appear on the March 13 election ballot in San Luis but didn't list a reason for the decision. A full written ruling is expected at a later date, according to an Arizona Supreme Court spokeswoman.

Read more: Arizona Supreme Court Affirms Ruling Barring Woman From Running For City Council Because Of English Skills | Fox News

Hmmm. How long will it take Mr. Holder to sue AZ?

The Arizona Supreme Court on Tuesday affirmed a ruling that barred a woman from running for a city council seat because she doesn't speak English proficiently.

The state's highest court ruled that Alejandrina Cabrera's name shouldn't appear on the March 13 election ballot in San Luis but didn't list a reason for the decision. A full written ruling is expected at a later date, according to an Arizona Supreme Court spokeswoman.

Read more: Arizona Supreme Court Affirms Ruling Barring Woman From Running For City Council Because Of English Skills | Fox News

Good. I'm the last person anyone would accuse of being too Conservative when it comes to minorities but this is just a matter of practicality to me.

:lol::lol::lol: He's already suing Arizona.

Forum List

Back