Canned Tuna

Brand doesn't matter so much and prefer it packed in oil. I've always pressed out the water or oil into a dish for the cats. Since hubs doesn't like casseroles, it's usually made into sandwiches with some mayo, a bit of chopped dill pickle and a bit of chopped sweet pickle and on dill rye bread. delish! :thup:

I like tuna once in a while. I like white tuna in water. Not light tuna, but WHITE tuna with chopped up pickles and onions and then after I make the sandwich, I put potato chips in the sandwich. And I like it with chocolate milk!

Brand doesn't matter so much and prefer it packed in oil. I've always pressed out the water or oil into a dish for the cats. Since hubs doesn't like casseroles, it's usually made into sandwiches with some mayo, a bit of chopped dill pickle and a bit of chopped sweet pickle and on dill rye bread. delish! :thup:

Doesn't that wreak havoc with the cats' digestion though?

What? Canned tuna juice? No, I've not had a problem with it with the cats and why should it? Many canned cat food has tuna and/or other fish or seafood in it.

I do know you should never feed cats fresh caught fish or salmon and I think that has to do with mercury levels.

What? Canned tuna juice? No, I've not had a problem with it with the cats and why should it? Many canned cat food has tuna and/or other fish or seafood in it.

I do know you should never feed cats fresh caught fish or salmon and I think that has to do with mercury levels.

I avoid feeding my cat any kind of fish. I don't think it's good for them. Like that other myth, milk.
From what I've read anyway, though I don't remember mercury being behind it. :dunno:

`
What kind do you like? I buy "Bumble Bee" Albacore in Pesto and Olive oil. I don't care for tuna in water. Tuna stored in oil has a much longer shelf life. I use it for sandwiches and the occasional casserole. Good survival food.
`
I don't. With my first child in the 1980's I ate tuna for lunch at work for five years to save money. I don't eat tuna anymore...Nor do I take my lunch...Nor do I work much anymore..Too damned lazy...You should see the boils on my butt from sitting so much...

I don't eat it any more because of concerns about mercury but I when I did I used Albacore in water. Don't care for oily tuna and hey, it's in a can so it's not gonna spoil. I didn't really follow a brand, whatever was cost-efficient.I'd make a tuna salad with just a small dollop of mayo and substitute the rest with cottage cheese. Then add celery, sweet onion and grated carrot works well in there.
`
I just use onions, pickles and this Penzey seasoning (special blend) called "Fox Point.". Oil adds calories but it's more nutritious.
It helps the poop slide down the miles of tube...

I don't even know if I've ever had tuna in oil before. Maybe when I was a kid. I don't know, something about fish sitting there in a can soaking in oil is kind of unappetizing to me.

I avoid feeding my cat any kind of fish. I don't think it's good for them. Like that other myth, milk.
From what I've read anyway, though I don't remember mercury being behind it. :dunno:

I've never had a problem with any cats eating fish.....whether from a tuna can, canned cat food, or as leftovers from our plates. Even some dry cat foods have fish as part of the ingredients.

Milk OTOH is limited around here & usually only given as young kittens in limited amounts but not their only source of food, or if they are sick.

I've always understood that milk effects dogs differently than cats and I don't remember for sure which is which.......milk gives diarrhea to one, and constipation to the other.

I don't. With my first child in the 1980's I ate tuna for lunch at work for five years to save money. I don't eat tuna anymore...Nor do I take my lunch...Nor do I work much anymore..Too damned lazy...You should see the boils on my butt from sitting so much...
`
I'll take your word on that. :)
`

Dont eat a whole lot of canned tuna. An Ahi Tuna sandwich is where it's at.
upload_2018-2-20_11-45-25.png

Fish is a source of protein and of course Think of what they carry around in their mouths outside... carnivorous little critters.
I dont give my cat canned tuna all the time but she loves it as a treat.

I declare that Starkist tuna is better than Chicken Of The Sea. The meat is more solid and the proteins fresh in the Starkist as you can tell in physical comparison. The Chicken Sea tuna is mushier and appears to have been soaking in the water far longer than the Starkist. Starkist has a stronger and bolder flavor and keeps fresh longer in your fridge, lasting a good five days at least while Chicken Sea tuna wont last two days before smelling like something is wrong with it. At the grocery they are the same price so go figure.

All I know is, every time I open a can of tuna, I gotta have another can handy for the damn cats or they won't freakin stop pestering me.
Yup!
My cats tend to be rather picky at times on the canned "cat food" but ready for tuna nearly always. Provided it's in water and the Kroger/Fred Meyers brand, which is more flaky than either Starkist, or Chicken of the Sea.

Mercury is an issue with nearly any seafood, but I suspect it's a bit hyped.

Forum List

Back