Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

SHOCKING! You mean our statist, pro-protectionism President wants to "renegotiate" existing trade agreements, say it ain't so Joe..... I wonder what he'll do if the Mexicans and Canadians tell him to go bugger off?

But I thought you said a few posts earlier that:

NONE of the candidates in 2008 were AGAINST NAFTA.
Well the reason you "thought" that is because you're obviously delusional and can't read well enough to tell one poster from another poster, I didn't post that ya moron. :cuckoo:

You and Elvis are so far up each others asses it is hard to tell you apart.

I didn't say that. Yea, but you were thinking it so :eusa_shhh:

I didn't say that. Yea, but you were thinking it so :eusa_shhh:

Since it's obvious you're a blindly partisan collectivist I realize it's too much to ask for you to be able to handle anything as intellectually complex as telling one poster from another poster but now that you've succeeded in making yourself look like a complete fool, care to go for the utter & complete blue ribbon? or would rather slink back off into left wing utopia and lick your wounds? ;)

WHISTLER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canadian municipal leaders threatened to retaliate against the "Buy America" movement in the United States on Saturday, warning trade restrictions will hurt both countries' economies.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities endorsed a controversial proposal to support communities that refuse to buy products from countries that put trade restrictions on products and services from Canada.

The measure is a response to a provision in the U.S. economic stimulus package passed by Congress in February that says public works projects should use iron, steel and other goods made in the United States.

The United States is Canada's largest trading partner, and Canadians have complained the restrictions will bar their companies from billions of dollars in business that they have previously had access to.

"This U.S. protectionist policy is hurting Canadian firms, costing Canadian jobs and damaging Canadian efforts to grow our economy in the midst of a worldwide recession," said Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mayor Jean Perrault, also president of the federation that represents cities and towns across Canada.

The municipal officials meeting at the federation's convention in Whistler, British Columbia, endorsed the measure despite complaints by Canadian trade officials.

Trade Minister Stockwell Day told the group on Friday that Ottawa was actively negotiating with Washington to get the "Buy American" restrictions removed.

The measure's supporters agreed to modify it slightly by suspending implementation for 120 days, in order to give Canadian trade officials and U.S. critics of the "Buy America" rules more time to work on the issue.

more

Canadians angered over Buy American rule | Reuters

The people of Canadia can kiss my balls.

It's a non-issue brought about (again) by a bunch of whiners--this time a small group of Canadians. We buy enough oil from Canada to balance out our trade with them. What else do they sell that we want anyway? Canadian beer?

SHOCKING! You mean our statist, pro-protectionism President wants to "renegotiate" existing trade agreements, say it ain't so Joe..... I wonder what he'll do if the Mexicans and Canadians tell him to go bugger off?

Vote "present"?

Like I said boys, there may not be anything Obama can do about this problem.

But we know for sure that there is nothing the GOP would do about this problem.

One would but can't, the other won't. Maybe if the one who can't had more support???

But you support the one that won't.

So you must be pro NAFTA and anti American workers/middle class.

Checkmate.

Sealy...I'm on your side, I am a protectionist. More jobs for more American is a good thing for America...there is no downside. If China decides their going to stop sending us wobbly-headed plastic dolls, I think we'll live. If Canada stops importing steel, we'll forge more in Erie Pennsylvania.

NAFTA is nothing more than selling out America.

But...to say President Obama CAN'T renegotiate or abandon NAFTA, with a DEM controlled house and senate because he needs SUPPORT is ludicrous.

President Obama could and would abandon NAFTA if he had half the backbone George Bush did. President Bush did what he believed was right, and to hell with support.

Obama is a spineless waffler who is more concerned about being popular than doing what he believes is right. He's the President of the United States for crap sake, if he can't do it, who can.

If you look at just the company's balance sheet than yes that is a logical statement but from the government's POV there is a line drawn around the nation. The money that changes hands inside the circle doesn't change the nations balance sheet except in titles.
So we should reward uncompetitive, ineffecient producers with taxpayer dollars just because they happen to be domestic producers?

If it means an immediate flood of another 100,000 unemployed people all suddenly collecting unemployment benefits and needing "welfare," we pay for it at the other end anyway. You people are blaming the workers for the mistakes of management when you allege "rewarding inefficient producers." And puleeze don't blame it all on unions. They don't sign those contracts without the signature of management as well.

Sealy...I'm on your side, I am a protectionist. More jobs for more American is a good thing for America...there is no downside.

Except for the fact that protectionism has never worked in a developed industrialized nation, unless of course you consider lowering standards of living "working", all it does is inflict deadweight loss on the economy with no appreciable long term benefits, not to mention giving today's global economy runs the risk of inviting retaliation from our trading partners.

What if instead of China not sending us any "wobbly-headed plastic dolls" China instead decides to say .. stop financing our debt and dumps dollars on the open market, or Canada decides to say sell their oil to the Chinese and Indians instead of the United States, you think you'll still be forging that steel in Eerie Pennsylvania?... "no downside", that's a good one.

Heck even that hero of the left Paul Krugman opposes protectionism.

WHISTLER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canadian municipal leaders threatened to retaliate against the "Buy America" movement in the United States on Saturday, warning trade restrictions will hurt both countries' economies.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities endorsed a controversial proposal to support communities that refuse to buy products from countries that put trade restrictions on products and services from Canada.

The measure is a response to a provision in the U.S. economic stimulus package passed by Congress in February that says public works projects should use iron, steel and other goods made in the United States.

The United States is Canada's largest trading partner, and Canadians have complained the restrictions will bar their companies from billions of dollars in business that they have previously had access to.

"This U.S. protectionist policy is hurting Canadian firms, costing Canadian jobs and damaging Canadian efforts to grow our economy in the midst of a worldwide recession," said Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mayor Jean Perrault, also president of the federation that represents cities and towns across Canada.

The municipal officials meeting at the federation's convention in Whistler, British Columbia, endorsed the measure despite complaints by Canadian trade officials.

Trade Minister Stockwell Day told the group on Friday that Ottawa was actively negotiating with Washington to get the "Buy American" restrictions removed.

The measure's supporters agreed to modify it slightly by suspending implementation for 120 days, in order to give Canadian trade officials and U.S. critics of the "Buy America" rules more time to work on the issue.

more

Canadians angered over Buy American rule | Reuters

The people of Canadia can kiss my balls.

It's a non-issue brought about (again) by a bunch of whiners--this time a small group of Canadians. We buy enough oil from Canada to balance out our trade with them. What else do they sell that we want anyway? Canadian beer?

I know a lot of people who like Canadian whiskey, although I frankly think it's crap.

why am I dumb? doyathink???

Don't let em cross the border? Obamalama's fault?

When I first met you, you were wrong but at least seemed to be rational. Now you are just soooo anti obama that its crazy.

Like the bitches/whores and ***** that were anti bill clinton. He did a good job but you never shut the fuck up about how everything was his fault.

Meanwhile he would have gotten in your panties with one shake of his thumb.

shows ya what you know DUmmie! I was a democwat back in them days,, and the republicans picked unmercifully on Clinton.. made me mad too,, til the DUMBF. knowing,, full well, that the Republicans were after him,, went right on ahead and did his Monica Thang.. that's the day I walked away from being a DUMMIE! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank God you stumbled your way out. Now just stay put.

As an American taxpayer, I would prefer that the overriding concerns in public works projects be cost effectiveness and quality of end product. As an American citizen, however, I don't give a rat's ass what people from another country think of the US's domestic policies, and never have.

When I first met you, you were wrong but at least seemed to be rational. Now you are just soooo anti obama that its crazy.

Like the bitches/whores and ***** that were anti bill clinton. He did a good job but you never shut the fuck up about how everything was his fault.

shows ya what you know DUmmie! I was a democwat back in them days,, and the republicans picked unmercifully on Clinton.. made me mad too,, til the DUMBF. knowing,, full well, that the Republicans were after him,, went right on ahead and did his Monica Thang.. that's the day I walked away from being a DUMMIE! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So you became a republican because of Clinton's dick policy? :lol:

Nah, she was pissed because no matter how hard she tried, Bill never noticed her:

bobeck_mimi2.jpg

If it means an immediate flood of another 100,000 unemployed people all suddenly collecting unemployment benefits and needing "welfare," we pay for it at the other end anyway.
Say what? do you have a credible source for such numbers or did you just yank them outta your rear end?

You people
I love the old "you people" phrase, it's a big red signal flare announcing "everything that follows is utter nonsense".

are blaming the workers for the mistakes of management when you allege "rewarding inefficient producers." And puleeze don't blame it all on unions. They don't sign those contracts without the signature of management as well.
and yep, that flare was accurate again ...... please go back and point to where I blamed the workers, the unions or even management. I said inefficient producers, if you can read with comprehension at all you'll note that statement does not assign blame.

We should not engage in rewarding inefficient producers no matter what caused them to be inefficient in the first place as doing so damages the long term health of the economy. Rewarding inefficient producers ties up scarce resources (like for example labor) that would be better off being freed to be utilized by efficient producers, It's like handing over gasoline to an arsonist.

It would be nice ....

... if we could actually buy American ... but I don't get why Canada is being so pissy, they are part of this continent as well.

because,, cupcake,, we aren't Americans anymore! we are left and right.. it's their way or the high way,, case you ain't good and awake,, we live under one party rule, and the democrats just kicked the shit outta thousands of law abiding tax paying high earning Americans... I'm pulling for Canada..

So where were you during 7+ years of Republican our-way-or-the-highway? Drunk? Nevermind...

If you look at just the company's balance sheet than yes that is a logical statement but from the government's POV there is a line drawn around the nation. The money that changes hands inside the circle doesn't change the nations balance sheet except in titles.
So we should reward uncompetitive, ineffecient producers with taxpayer dollars just because they happen to be domestic producers?

If it means an immediate flood of another 100,000 unemployed people all suddenly collecting unemployment benefits and needing "welfare," we pay for it at the other end anyway. You people are blaming the workers for the mistakes of management when you allege "rewarding inefficient producers." And puleeze don't blame it all on unions. They don't sign those contracts without the signature of management as well.

I think he meant the corps as a whole. I blame GM for not listening to the consumer.

Thank God you stumbled your way out. Now just stay put.

Phuck yew ya stupid bitch! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It would be nice ....

... if we could actually buy American ... but I don't get why Canada is being so pissy, they are part of this continent as well.

because,, cupcake,, we aren't Americans anymore! we are left and right.. it's their way or the high way,, case you ain't good and awake,, we live under one party rule, and the democrats just kicked the shit outta thousands of law abiding tax paying high earning Americans... I'm pulling for Canada..

So where were you during 7+ years of Republican our-way-or-the-highway? Drunk? Nevermind...

phuck yew,, dimwit..

funny how you think you know my voting record, considering you keep guessing incorrectly.
Don't sweat it elvis, that's just a tactic weaker minds take when they cannot defeat your arguements with reason or logic, they try to change the subject and make it personal. I'm guessing the next thing he'll wanna know is your religion so he can attempt to attack that instead of actually addressing the content of your posts. :eusa_angel:

Did Elvis say something important? I must have missed it.

So you became a republican because of Clinton's dick policy? :lol:

Nah, she was pissed because no matter how hard she tried, Bill never noticed her:

bobeck_mimi2.jpg

phuck yew

canada sucks! canada rules!

i stole a canadian, hit her over the head with my caveman club...american made dammmit.....married her and now she is american but thinks she owns me, she doesn't, i'm american and i rule

but when i go to canada, she reverts to this weird accent and gets all polite and shit. says hi to everyone, never litters and gets all snuggley in that cold ass weather. fuck those clean streets and good chocolate up there. who needs canada....

i love canada, their women are HOT.

do you find out where Obama is every day so you can face that direction when you worship him?

Stand for liberty wrote to you: that is just a tactic weaker minds take when they cannot defeat your arguements with reason or logic, they try to change the subject and make it personal. I'm guessing the next thing he'll wanna know is your religion so he can attempt to attack that instead of actually addressing the content of your posts.

And then you go and post this reply to me? :lol:

POT, MEET KETTLE!!!

it was in response to you defending Obama for EXACTLY the same thing Bush would say regarding NAFTA. So which way are you facing today? Let me see if I can find out where Obama is so you can face EXACTLY that direction when you get on your knees.

You people had better just get used to the fact that Democrats and Independents to a large degree continue to support Barack Obama, so nothing you can say in your most clever rhetoric will change that until we can see that his proposed policies ARE failing (not "projected to fail" or "hoped to fail" as is YOUR desire), and couple that with some person on YOUR "side" of all these serious issues who has a better proposition. You don't have one, for any of it.

Forum List

Back