Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
WHISTLER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canadian municipal leaders threatened to retaliate against the "Buy America" movement in the United States on Saturday, warning trade restrictions will hurt both countries' economies.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities endorsed a controversial proposal to support communities that refuse to buy products from countries that put trade restrictions on products and services from Canada.

The measure is a response to a provision in the U.S. economic stimulus package passed by Congress in February that says public works projects should use iron, steel and other goods made in the United States.

The United States is Canada's largest trading partner, and Canadians have complained the restrictions will bar their companies from billions of dollars in business that they have previously had access to.

"This U.S. protectionist policy is hurting Canadian firms, costing Canadian jobs and damaging Canadian efforts to grow our economy in the midst of a worldwide recession," said Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mayor Jean Perrault, also president of the federation that represents cities and towns across Canada.

The municipal officials meeting at the federation's convention in Whistler, British Columbia, endorsed the measure despite complaints by Canadian trade officials.

Trade Minister Stockwell Day told the group on Friday that Ottawa was actively negotiating with Washington to get the "Buy American" restrictions removed.

The measure's supporters agreed to modify it slightly by suspending implementation for 120 days, in order to give Canadian trade officials and U.S. critics of the "Buy America" rules more time to work on the issue.

more

Canadians angered over Buy American rule | Reuters

The people of Canadia can kiss my balls.

WHISTLER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Canadian municipal leaders threatened to retaliate against the "Buy America" movement in the United States on Saturday, warning trade restrictions will hurt both countries' economies.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities endorsed a controversial proposal to support communities that refuse to buy products from countries that put trade restrictions on products and services from Canada.

The measure is a response to a provision in the U.S. economic stimulus package passed by Congress in February that says public works projects should use iron, steel and other goods made in the United States.

The United States is Canada's largest trading partner, and Canadians have complained the restrictions will bar their companies from billions of dollars in business that they have previously had access to.

"This U.S. protectionist policy is hurting Canadian firms, costing Canadian jobs and damaging Canadian efforts to grow our economy in the midst of a worldwide recession," said Sherbrooke, Quebec, Mayor Jean Perrault, also president of the federation that represents cities and towns across Canada.

The municipal officials meeting at the federation's convention in Whistler, British Columbia, endorsed the measure despite complaints by Canadian trade officials.

Trade Minister Stockwell Day told the group on Friday that Ottawa was actively negotiating with Washington to get the "Buy American" restrictions removed.

The measure's supporters agreed to modify it slightly by suspending implementation for 120 days, in order to give Canadian trade officials and U.S. critics of the "Buy America" rules more time to work on the issue.

more

Canadians angered over Buy American rule | Reuters

The people of Canadia can kiss my balls.

I agree Shogun. Now lets see which USMB members side with American workers and which ones side with NAFTA/Canadian workers.

They'll tell us why we can't fix this. They'll tell us why we SHOULD'T fix this.

Canada needs to learn just like the rest of us what happens when you try to kiss obama ass,,check the shareholders,, check the bondholders,, check out the lost pensions,, I'm gonna write Canada and tell em I'll come up there and buy me a toyota.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Canada needs to learn just like the rest of us what happens when you try to kiss obama ass,,check the shareholders,, check the bondholders,, check out the lost pensions,, I'm gonna write Canada and tell em I'll come up there and buy me a toyota.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Canada is just another country that is taking advantage of NAFTA you stupid whore.

They don't care that it isn't fair for us.

Neither do American corporations. They like it the way it is now. Now, we buy imports but don't make anything to export. American companies don't care because they don't make anything here anymore.

And you don't know that this is dangerous.

You just say its obmamamamamlalma.. Stupid bitch.

This is a stupid provision to begin with, shouldn't we buying based on price-quality instead of where it's produced? If the American produced good is 10 times as expensive and lower quality than a competing Canadian produced good is it wise to use tax payer funds to buy it just because it's produced domestically?

I realize the Federal Government is in the business of wasting & stealing money and buying votes with taxpayer dollars but isn't this a little beyond the pale, even for the them?

I Love Canada.. I feel sorry for Canada.. They pinned all their "hope" for "change" in obama and end of being one of the first to be screwed over.. oh well!

no. Not at all. Especially if our domestic producers suffer because of some bullshit global flea market policy. How much steel do you think Canadia buys from the US? I'll give you a hint: there is a reason your type tries so hard to avoid the topic of trade deficits.

So, again, fuck Canadia and fuck capitalista americans who would sell out this nation in the Great American Yardsale.

Yes! that's the ticket you go boys,, you go democwats,, now all of sudden we don't give a shit about what the rest of the world thinks fuckem!"" :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

don't cry for me canadieeee! don't cry for me canadieee! :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Yes! that's the ticket you go boys,, you go democwats,, now all of sudden we don't give a shit about what the rest of the world thinks fuckem!"" :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

don't cry for me canadieeee! don't cry for me canadieee! :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

When it comes to selling out the US for your slave wage third world labor and crybaby Canadians who sure as FUCK don't want to talk about trade deficits then, yes.. fuck em.

:cool:

Free trade is just like nuclear demilitarization.

Everybody, including the US, recommend it to others, not to themselves. :lol:

When it comes to selling out the US for your slave wage third world labor and crybaby Canadians who sure as FUCK don't want to talk about trade deficits then, yes.. fuck em.

hee heee heee! fuckem! :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle: and don't let emcrossourborderseither.

no. Not at all. Especially if our domestic producers suffer because of some bullshit global flea market policy. How much steel do you think Canadia buys from the US? I'll give you a hint: there is a reason your type tries so hard to avoid the topic of trade deficits.

So, again, fuck Canadia and fuck capitalista americans who would sell out this nation in the Great American Yardsale.

This is great. This is going to expose the right wingers as either being in favor of NAFTA or just stupid right wing parrots like Willow who can't say anything other than obamalama.

José;1263201 said:

Where the only country really not protecting our workers at least a little.

"This is a stupid provision to begin with, shouldn't we buying based on price-quality instead of where it's produced? If the American produced good is 10 times as expensive and lower quality than a competing Canadian produced good is it wise to use tax payer funds to buy it just because it's produced domestically?"

If you look at just the company's balance sheet than yes that is a logical statement but from the government's POV there is a line drawn around the nation. The money that changes hands inside the circle doesn't change the nations balance sheet except in titles.

no. Not at all. Especially if our domestic producers suffer because of some bullshit global flea market policy. How much steel do you think Canadia buys from the US?
What's that got to do with the price and quality of steel on the open market ? If our answer to protectionism is more protectionism of our own, that justs makes both sides stupid and inefficient.

I'll give you a hint: there is a reason your type tries so hard to avoid the topic of trade deficits.

LOL, "my type" ? what type would that be? the type that thinks the lowest cost/highest quality producer should win in the marketplace and that inefficient producers should be punished by it? If that's the type you're taking about, we're called free-market capitalists.

José;1263201 said:

When Mexico starts buying our products on par with what we've granted them over the last 20 years then you can criticize the US, thanks.

damn people what is yer problem.. Canada was only doing the work Americans would not do??? wtf??? oh,, that's right,, they can't vote down here..

hee heee heee! fuckem! :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle: and don't let emcrossourborderseither.

You have to be the dumbest person on USMB hands down. :lol: obamalama :cuckoo:

I'm willow and my life has value :eusa_liar:

Forum List

Back