Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

I'm looking around and I don't see anything that I've bought that was made in the US. Maybe my wireless router but that's about it. When did it get like this? I think I fell asleep at the wheel.

And why don't Republicans understand that this is a problem?

Last week they posted some drivel about how we really are still the largest manufacturer in the world. We even still export more than China.

But you just know that their numbers are tainted.

Or, even if we are still #1, that doesn't mean we haven't outsourced too much.

But they love pointing out that Clinton signed NAFTA.

See how politics work? The GOP created the bank bailout situation, but the Dems signed it so they are to blame. The GOP invented NAFTA, but Clinton signed it. And the Iraq war was the GOP's war, but if even one Dem signed on, they are equally to blame.

wrong again. clinton created the bank bailout situation by repealing Glass Steagall. every person who gave Bush authority to use force shares the responsibility of the decision, be they dem or repub.

It would be nice ....

... if we could actually buy American ... but I don't get why Canada is being so pissy, they are part of this continent as well.

So you became a republican because of Clinton's dick policy? :lol:

give me one good reason i should support a donkeyface who thinks with his dick and not his brain.. would you?? hell they were after his ass for years and the dummie still dropped his drawers and set himself up for the fiasco of a lifetime.. i got the hell outta dodge.. never looked back,,

Wouldn't have been a big deal if the corporate/right wing media didn't make it an 8 year affair.

And now you don't want ANY investigations into the Bush/Cheney wrong doings. That would cost too much money. Meanwhile Ken Starr spent a billion dollars wasting our time.

But to you it wasn't a waste because it got GW elected and 4000 killed on 9-11. Mission accomplished for you, right?

you don't read well doya? I've said on at least a thousand occasions "let the investigations begin.. I want to know it,, all of it.." and let's take 4 years to do it.. okay,, get started.. I'm ready..

But the ignorant do not realize we should be deathly afraid of retaliation.

(1) OIL STUPID: The main reason we have a trade deficit with Canada is because they are our main oil provider by far. Imagine the effects on the US economy if Canada retaliated with oil? Been to the gas pump lately oil has gone up in Chicago at least to $3.00! Its pinching us again. Oil going up drives the price of freight up, which gets pushed onto the consumer. Say we stopped importing an oil or got off our addiction to oil, the trade deficit would be cut substantially!

(2) Our Manufactured Goods: Via the Walmart effect people things America doesn't produce any manufactured goods. The small consumer products in the store, sure those are gone, but America still produces stateside 20% of the world's goods!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1240839-post1.html

How can that be? Americans still produce the large manufactured goods that are sold B to B rather than B to C. These goods require well educated people and not minons that just follow orders via the small goods produced in say Walmart, Target and Toys-r-u! We send far more large manufacturing goods to Canada then they send to America. Its a fact! :eusa_angel:
Thus far this went over everyone's head.... Where did most of our refineries go to!

It would be nice ....

... if we could actually buy American ... but I don't get why Canada is being so pissy, they are part of this continent as well.

because,, cupcake,, we aren't Americans anymore! we are left and right.. it's their way or the high way,, case you ain't good and awake,, we live under one party rule, and the democrats just kicked the shit outta thousands of law abiding tax paying high earning Americans... I'm pulling for Canada..

oh! and just to add,, you democwat dudes ain't improved any either,, gwb ran circles around your azzes for eight years and he's dumb..

shows ya what you know DUmmie! I was a democwat back in them days,, and the republicans picked unmercifully on Clinton.. made me mad too,, til the DUMBF. knowing,, full well, that the Republicans were after him,, went right on ahead and did his Monica Thang.. that's the day I walked away from being a DUMMIE! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So you became a republican because of Clinton's dick policy? :lol:

give me one good reason i should support a donkeyface who thinks with his dick and not his brain.. would you?? hell they were after his ass for years and the dummie still dropped his drawers and set himself up for the fiasco of a lifetime.. i got the hell outta dodge.. never looked back,,

Well, you better vote Palin '12.

I'm looking around and I don't see anything that I've bought that was made in the US. Maybe my wireless router but that's about it. When did it get like this? I think I fell asleep at the wheel.

Last week they posted some drivel about how we really are still the largest manufacturer in the world. We even still export more than China.

See how politics work? The GOP created the bank bailout situation, but the Dems signed it so they are to blame. The GOP invented NAFTA, but Clinton signed it. And the Iraq war was the GOP's war, but if even one Dem signed on, they are equally to blame.

wrong again. clinton created the bank bailout situation by repealing Glass Steagall. every person who gave Bush authority to use force shares the responsibility of the decision, be they dem or repub.

The GOP took us to war in Iraq. Make no mistake about that.

And the GOP took us to war in Kosovo too, right?

And this is just another example where Bill Clinton went along with bad GOP ideas. Which is why we didn't pick Hillary to be our nomination. Thanks for educating us on just how often Clinton went along with your horrible party.

The bill that ultimately repealed the Act was introduced in the Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa) in 1999. The bills were passed by Republican majorities on party lines by a 54-44 vote in the Senate[12] and by a 343-86 vote in the House of Representatives[13]. After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90-8 (1 not voting) and in the House: 362-57 (15 not voting). ' The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.

Ok. Its not apples to apples. Should we have to compete with a country that has universal healthcare?
Absolutely, heck that's a competitive advantage for the country that doesn't have it, since producers in that country don't have to foot the bill for it.

We should not have to compete with countries that pay less than we pay here. If there are certain things we deem appropriate to buy from overseas, then fine, but we are buying too much from people who aren't buying from us.
The reason they aren't "buying from us" is that in most cases our goods/services are non-competitive in those markets, thus the onus is on US to become more competitive not to attempt to make everyone else less competitive.

So then we should buy less from them to even things out and to protect the American middle class. And yes, sometimes you might pay a little more, but who says for INFERIOR products? Is that your assumtion in every case? Why so anti American?
LOL, what makes you assume I'm "anti-american", I'll happily buy an American product if it's the best available at a price I'm willing to pay (that's called a value calculation and it's the basis for all human action).

The government can "intervien" and do good, or the govenment can "intervien" and do harm to us.
'cept the vast majority of the time when government intervenes it does far more harm than good and it's usually long term damage which is not easily undone. For example do you think we'd be in the mess we are now if the central planners hadn't intervened and created Fannie & Freddie, the CRA and kept interest rates artificially low?

But I'm loving this argument because you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. I can't tell if you are pro NAFTA or not.
I am? hmmm.. I thought I have been pretty consistant with my arguements here, perhaps you'd care to point out specifics ? instead of continually trying to change the subject as in NOW you bring up NAFTA......... what subject will you attempt to insert next to foment the delay and distract tap dance? Abortion Maybe? how about the ERA ?

Sounds like you are mostly in favor of it. Which is what I want to expose.
Since it's completely non sequitir to the discussion at hand, "expose" all you want or do what you seem to love to do the most, just make shit up as you go along.

It would be nice ....

And to be honest, no one minds Canada because they make comperable wages to Americans.

But still they are taking advantage of NAFTA too.

It works for them and it works for the American corporations.

Only it doesn't work for American workers. We're always the ones getting fucked.

It would be nice ....

And to be honest, no one minds Canada because they make comperable wages to Americans.

But still they are taking advantage of NAFTA too.

It works for them and it works for the American corporations.

Only it doesn't work for American workers. We're always the ones getting fucked.

Oh! bullcrap.. in your case the person "getting F" is your boss.. every single day.. :eusa_whistle:

And this is just another example where Bill Clinton went along with bad GOP ideas. Which is why we didn't pick Hillary to be our nomination. Thanks for educating us on just how often Clinton went along with your horrible party.

The bill that ultimately repealed the Act was introduced in the Senate by Phil Gramm (Republican of Texas) and in the House of Representatives by Jim Leach (R-Iowa) in 1999. The bills were passed by Republican majorities on party lines by a 54-44 vote in the Senate[12] and by a 343-86 vote in the House of Representatives[13]. After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. The final bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate 90-8 (1 not voting) and in the House: 362-57 (15 not voting). ' The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999.

so either Clinton is to blame for the bank failures AND Bush is to blame for the Iraq War or neither Clinton nor Bush is responsible for each event.
which is it? take your pick. you can't have it both ways. if the buck stops here for Bush, it also stops here for clinton.

Ok. Its not apples to apples. Should we have to compete with a country that has universal healthcare?
Absolutely, heck that's a competitive advantage for the country that doesn't have it, since producers in that country don't have to foot the bill for it.

What? If Canadian Corporations don't have to provide healthcare to their employees and American corporations do, who has the advantage?

Your spin on this is weak and lame. I see what you did there. You said its an advantage to the country that doesn't have to....

Explain how our corporations having to provide employees with healthcare makes them competitive with companies in Canada that don't have to worry about this.

You can't, because you are a spinster. Go ahead, spin away. Humor me.

so either Clinton is to blame for the bank failures AND Bush is to blame for the Iraq War or neither Clinton nor Bush is responsible for each event.
which is it? take your pick. you can't have it both ways. if the buck stops here for Bush, it also stops here for clinton.

The GOP had the majority in both houses when they lied us into Iraq.

You think i'm just blaming Bush?

Even Graham says Cheney lied to him.

And we all remember how back then you were either with Bush or against America.

Pretend you were a Democrat in the GOP Senate and now remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

Hell, I didn't realize Bush lied us into war until a year or so later.

So I ONLY blame Bush for lying us into Iraq.

But CLinton signed what the GOP sent him. NAFTA is not itself EVIL like Iraq is.

Again, not apples to apples.

Now what has the GOP done to/with NAFTA since 2000? Now that you can't blame on anyone but the GOP. Passing tax breaks to companies going overseas? Unacceptable.

But you dont' want to talk about that. And if you do, you'll find one dem that went along.

And what do you care? You were in favor of Iraq and NAFTA, correct? So why didn't you vote for Clinton? Bullshitter.

Arging with retards, I mean Republicans, is very frustrating.

I wonder if you believe the shit coming out of your keyboard. You are fucking nuts.

Now any bills the Dems pass from now until 2010, any results will be all their responsibility. I won't blame the entire GOP if one or two Republicans go along.

But the bank bailout, if you don't know the political game that went on there, then you probably shouldn't be talking like you know something on USMB, because you dont' know shit.

Pretend you were a Democrat in the GOP Senate and now remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

But CLinton signed what the GOP sent him. NAFTA is not itself EVIL like Iraq is.

Now what has the GOP done to/with NAFTA since 2000? Now that you can't blame on anyone but the GOP. Passing tax breaks to companies going overseas? Unacceptable.

But you dont' want to talk about that. And if you do, you'll find one dem that went along.

And what do you care? You were in favor of Iraq and NAFTA, correct? So why didn't you vote for Clinton? Bullshitter.

NAFTA has nothing to do with the bank failures, dipshit. I was AGAINST NAFTA. I voted for Perot because he was AGAINST it. so you lose again.

I wonder if you believe the shit coming out of your keyboard. You are fucking nuts.

Now any bills the Dems pass from now until 2010, any results will be all their responsibility. I won't blame the entire GOP if one or two Republicans go along.

But the bank bailout, if you don't know the political game that went on there, then you probably shouldn't be talking like you know something on USMB, because you dont' know shit.

typical partisan bullshit and ignorance from the douchebag of the year award winner.

What? If Canadian Corporations don't have to provide healthcare to their employees and American corporations do, who has the advantage?
LOL! oh so you think "Universal Healthcare" is absolutely FREE do you ? did it ever occur to you that somebody has to pay for it and those that have to foot the majority of the bill might be corporations that then have to pass that cost along to their customers? not to mention since it's a gub'ment run scam, it's likely to cost a heck of lot more than private alternatives that those same corporations might choose to offer employees.

Your spin on this is weak and lame. I see what you did there. You said its an advantage to the country that doesn't have to....
Well except for the fact that you apparently didn't consider all (any?) of the variables... that seems to be your modus operandi since your philosphy in this thread appears to revolve around less than well thought out emotional responses and partisan talking point memos. :shrug:

Explain how our corporations having to provide employees with healthcare makes them competitive with companies in Canada that don't have to worry about this.
Since when do corporations HAVE to provide employees with healthcare ? except when they are forced to do so through government scams that require coercisive taxation to fund? Is employer provider healthcare a constitutional right now ?

NAFTA has nothing to do with the bank failures, dipshit. I was AGAINST NAFTA. I voted for Perot because he was AGAINST it. so you lose again.

Hey, that's cool. Its hard keeping track of all you right wingers and libertarians.

I think of libertarians as Republicans who distanced themselves from Bush right before the election. Or Ron Paulies. I like his stance on the banks, but not much else.

So did you vote for Nader, Barr or MCCain this last time?

typical partisan bullshit and ignorance from the douchebag of the year award winner.

Why don't you first get more than 1% of the vote for Perot before you go calling other people idiots.

You do realize you are just as partisan, only you are a libertarian, who nominated Bob Barr. You're a fucking joke.

Hey, that's cool. Its hard keeping track of all you right wingers and libertarians.

I think of libertarians as Republicans who distanced themselves from Bush right before the election. Or Ron Paulies. I like his stance on the banks, but not much else.

So did you vote for Nader, Barr or MCCain this last time?

voted for McCain. wanted to vote for Barr, but I go back and forth about whether or not third party voting is really worth it.

Forum List

Back