Can women rock too?

..Was just looking. No Johnny Winter? Rick Derringer? No Styx? REO? Triumph? Grand Funk? WtF?

Joan Jett and Madonna? I can see giving Joan Jett a pass because she plays rock and roll.

No Jethro Tull either and . . . no IRON MAIDEN. :ack-1:
Thats Because The hall of fame are for those with proper think and or sexual proclivities now.

I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

I'm looking for a good argument I can use against him. :D

Aunty Entity, age 70...

I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

I'm looking for a good argument I can use against him. :D

Joan Jett
Lita Ford (both in the Runaways)
Wendy O. Williams/The Plasmatics
Blondie
Bonnie Tyler

Belinda Carlyle and Grace Slick, for two, and several newish bands have female frontswomen who are great, I see them every once in a while on late night TV, but I can't remember the band names. Belinda Carlyle has a great version of The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde, in French, that is killer on her Voila album; highly addictive, and not one you want to play while driving on the freeway ...
Belinda Carlisle's best...

I have never cared about the R&R HoF. I consider Halls of Fame to be a sports thing. :)

It's ridiculous; even rockers don't care about it, and it only exists to generate royalties for defunct songs the big labels have on their books. If you're Atlantic Records, for instance, you can get your stable of artists in, like Nat King Cole and several others, whether they're 'rock n roll' or not has nothing to do with it any more. Even the rock biz won't pony up any bucks for it, so it has to keep 'inducting all kinds of rubbish to generate enough to pay the light bills.

..Was just looking. No Johnny Winter? Rick Derringer? No Styx? REO? Triumph? Grand Funk? WtF?

Joan Jett and Madonna? I can see giving Joan Jett a pass because she plays rock and roll.

Their labels don't lobby for them. Not yet, anyways; it all depends on who owns their songbook, really.
No it is because they are soy boys and butch lesbians

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Their labels don't lobby for them. Not yet, anyways; it all depends on who owns their songbook, really.
No it is because they are soy boys and butch lesbians

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Nah, it's because their genres aren't big cash cows for them, like, say, an Elvis, or a Bruno Mars; no future in generated nostalgia sales for those two. They have too many left who sell more at the moment. Maybe when they've gone through the rest we'll see them suddenly get the nod. I'm still laughing about Nat King Cole getting nommed, so I don't have time to laugh about at the current rubbish yet; still have several years worth of laughs out of that weirdness alone.

I like Cole, by the way, so that isn't why it's funny, for those in the Peanut Gallery who maybe never heard of Cole.

Yes, Blondie, Heart, Joan Jett. I know all about them, as I mentioned in my opening post. There are a few others too, but are any of them of the same rocking caliber of Metallica??? :dunno: Janice Joplin is probably the MOST capable of all for rocking out like a dude. Lol.

Belinda Carlyle and Grace Slick, for two, and several newish bands have female frontswomen who are great, I see them every once in a while on late night TV, but I can't remember the band names. Belinda Carlyle has a great version of The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde, in French, that is killer on her Voila album; highly addictive, and not one you want to play while driving on the freeway ...

ARe you serious? Belinda Carlisle? Rock???? I am talking about women who can ROCK THE HOUSE!

ARe you serious? Belinda Carlisle? Rock???? I am talking about women who can ROCK THE HOUSE!

Haven't heard much of her work, have you.

Forum List

Back