Can Windows 8 Dual Boot with other OS's?

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
I'm going to give my old motherboard to a friend and build him a decent PC. All he has to do is buy a case, power supply, graphics card, Windows 8 or 7, and a hard drive. I'm giving him the rest. He wants to play these old games that you can only play in Windows 95 and 98 so wants me to allow him to dual boot with this lesser software. I think it's a bad idea but am willing to give it a shot if it's doable. I just had to re-install Windows 8 after installing the new motherboard, but when I partitioned the hard drive, I saw no indication where the system was asking me if I wanted to install another system. I remember Windows 2000 had that function. I am beginning to wonder whether I should install Windows 98, initially, and then install Windows 8 after that. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm going to give my old motherboard to a friend and build him a decent PC. All he has to do is buy a case, power supply, graphics card, Windows 8 or 7, and a hard drive. I'm giving him the rest. He wants to play these old games that you can only play in Windows 95 and 98 so wants me to allow him to dual boot with this lesser software. I think it's a bad idea but am willing to give it a shot if it's doable. I just had to re-install Windows 8 after installing the new motherboard, but when I partitioned the hard drive, I saw no indication where the system was asking me if I wanted to install another system. I remember Windows 2000 had that function. I am beginning to wonder whether I should install Windows 98, initially, and then install Windows 8 after that. Anybody have any ideas?

I would stay away from dual-boot. Been there, done that. And instead, try out Oracle VirtualBox. I've got a Windows 7 host running it with a Win XP virtual machine and it works like a charm.

Windows 8 supports dual-boot, of course. See here my video of Windows8/Linux.

And you are right. If both systems are Windows, you need to install the older version at first and then the other simply on another partition or HDD. This will make the boot manager appear automatic. But I don´t know if it still works with Windows 98. If you need to fridget with the settings, try EasyBCD.

Bleipriester is correct above...
On playing the games, if you install post Win98 and try to play older 98 and just about any 95 game that supported network play - you will have issues on lots of games.
Some games won't load and gives you an error saying you need to enable IPX/SPX, which no longer exist in post 98 Windows versions.
You will need to install a workaround for that, I can find it if you have trouble. I love the old Red Alert/Yuri's Revenge game which uses IPX/SPX, I play it successfully including network play after installing the workaround on Win 7.
You might also want to find an old square VGA monitor also, 800x600 on a modern monitor just sucks...too tiny.

Forum List

Back