Install Starts Then Disappears

Jackinthebox

Nov 30, 2014
I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 8. I have been able to install some programs, but a few games are giving me a real hard time.

I turn off my security to get a smooth install, and open the .exe file to begin installing the program. The window opens, I click install, and then it just disappears. This happens if I actually click install, or just look at the window for a few seconds. No matter what after about 5 to 10 seconds, poof, it just disappears. It's not running in the background or anything. It just vanishes.

Now in the past I have had programs that won't install properly and so forth, but I have never seen anything like this, and I have been searching for answers online for days, to no avail.

Any ideas?

What games are not installing?

Various games, and a few programs that weren't games. Tonight I tried to install Wargame, the other night I tried to install a shipping game called TransOcean. Tropico 5 wouldn't install, so I installed it on another computer and just transferred the whole file over as a sort of workaround, but this doesn't work with some more complex games and programs.

That is interesting.

There are some issues that can happen with older games because the programming cannot handle the new operating systems. I have seen it happen with some of my older games where the box simply disappears and there is little indication as to why. I don't recognize the titles though so I don't know how old they are. The same thing can happen with programs that are not coded for a 64 bit system but usually windows will tell you if that is the problem.

Are the copies licensed? I have seen something like this before with unlicensed copies as well though if you have had them working before it is not likely to be the case. That is usually when the executable file has been replaced by a virus.

What games are not installing?

Various games, and a few programs that weren't games. Tonight I tried to install Wargame, the other night I tried to install a shipping game called TransOcean. Tropico 5 wouldn't install, so I installed it on another computer and just transferred the whole file over as a sort of workaround, but this doesn't work with some more complex games and programs.
I have Tropico 5 and it runs well on Windows 8.1 x64.

That is interesting.

There are some issues that can happen with older games because the programming cannot handle the new operating systems. I have seen it happen with some of my older games where the box simply disappears and there is little indication as to why. I don't recognize the titles though so I don't know how old they are. The same thing can happen with programs that are not coded for a 64 bit system but usually windows will tell you if that is the problem.

Are the copies licensed? I have seen something like this before with unlicensed copies as well though if you have had them working before it is not likely to be the case. That is usually when the executable file has been replaced by a virus.

My unit doesn't have a disc drive, so I have to create an image of my discs on my old computer to install the games on my new laptop. So I guess technically they might be seen as unlicensed. But when I uninstall and reinstall on my old unit using the ISO file, it works fine. Besides, it won't even let me get to the point where I have to enter the code key (or insert the crack of that were the case otherwise.)

Also, it won't let me install BitLord either, which is a download.

(And if you use BitLord, for the love of God don't use the new update. The new version screwed up my other computer for days.)

Find the game/program in the Start menu, if you don't have a Start menu you can download and install Classic Start Menu.
Once you find the game/program right click and select run as administrator, if that doesn't work then the game/program is experiencing an initiating problem and you'll need to look up each one online and see if there is a work around/update required to make it run on Windows 8 (8.1).

Find the game/program in the Start menu, if you don't have a Start menu you can download and install Classic Start Menu.
Once you find the game/program right click and select run as administrator, if that doesn't work then the game/program is experiencing an initiating problem and you'll need to look up each one online and see if there is a work around/update required to make it run on Windows 8 (8.1).
It looks like it hasnt anything to do with Windows 8 itself. Rather some malware preventing the installation of programs or a defective Windows installer that cannot be updated by the games.
In addition, Classic Shell is a slow, old tool for XP and there are far better solutions around, such as startisback.
Windows 8 Tips and Support Page 14 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Since the program has not installed, there is no reason for it to be in the Start Menu. I have tried to run the file directly with a right click to run as administrator. Still same thing. And again, this is not a Windows 8 problem, since another game runs just fine, but wouldn't install on this unit. I just transferred a fully installed folder from another unit.

Since the program has not installed, there is no reason for it to be in the Start Menu. I have tried to run the file directly with a right click to run as administrator. Still same thing. And again, this is not a Windows 8 problem, since another game runs just fine, but wouldn't install on this unit. I just transferred a fully installed folder from another unit.
What emulator are you using?

I fond that deamon tools it the best one for me that always works for .ISO files. If you are trying to use windows directly to handle the iso that might be the problem.

I fond that deamon tools it the best one for me that always works for .ISO files. If you are trying to use windows directly to handle the iso that might be the problem.

Daemon Lite. But it's not just ISO files either. Like BitLord is just a straight download and that won't install either. Same thing. It opens, starts, and just vanishes.

The Windows 8 explorer has an integrated support for iso files, so it cannot be the problem, so more so as Jackinthebox started the installations.
I agree that Daemon Tools is the best solution for images and have it installed for support of a wider field of image formats.

Daemon Lite. But it's not just ISO files either. Like BitLord is just a straight download and that won't install either. Same thing. It opens, starts, and just vanishes.
You should scan your pc for malware and if that doesnt help reinstall the whole machine.

You should scan your pc for malware and if that doesnt help reinstall the whole machine.

Brand new unit, right out of the box. I was trying to install the same programs I had on my old unit. Problem started on day 1. But again, it's not all programs. Mostly games, but a few others too that were legit legal downloads. BitLord is one that keeps coming to mind. I know it can be used for piracy, but it's not an illegal program by itself, and I actually use it for legit file xfers for large files from a few clients I do business with.

EDIT to add: I have done all sorts of malware scans too anyway, just to be sure.

I am not sure if your case is possible.

This makes no sense to me at all. I am wondering if Dell factory installed something to block certain installations, like ISO files and stuff. BitLord for example is not an illegal program, but it can be used for illegal purposes, and won't install either.

I can't find ANYTHING anywhere in the web about anyone else having this problem.

The Windows 8 explorer has an integrated support for iso files, so it cannot be the problem, so more so as Jackinthebox started the installations.
I agree that Daemon Tools is the best solution for images and have it installed for support of a wider field of image formats.
Off topic:
This is not necessarily true. Just because it is natively supported does not mean that it is supported well. In my experience, windows is a VERY poor substitute for specific software. Windows also supports burning CDs natively but I wouldn't use it under any circumstances - it is terrible and buggy. Just because windows cad do something does not mean it does it well :D

Forum List

Back