Can We Seperate the Sin from the Sinner?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
In faith we are told to seperate the sin from the sinner, and to me is the truth, however how many of us have been able to do that in our own lives? What does your faith or belief system teach you about that???

It's a very hard thing to do, and a very hard concept to grasp, which is why so many are turned off to faith as they don't wish to be judged, truly none of us really do. It is necessary though if we are to understand the tennants of most faiths, and have some kind of cohesive moral foundation for society to thrive, and different faiths to exist peacefully.

Bonnie said:
In faith we are told to seperate the sin from the sinner, and to me is the truth, however how many of us have been able to do that in our own lives?
I think I do. I have this terrible problem with holding grudges, I can't do it. I try not to judge, but usually when someone has done wrong (in my eyes), it's forgotten soon after.
Only one person in my life have I ever could not seperate the sin from the sinner and held a huge grudge. But even that didn't last that long. I felt to guilty.
What does your faith or belief system teach you about that???
Like my grandma always said/says "Do good for evil". Evil could mean anything from a hateful person to a person doing hateful things. She also says "God don't like meaness", so I always try to live by that :D

We are called to forgive people for the sins/trespasses/debts/wrongs that they commit against us. So yes, we should separate the sin from the sinner, in the sense that we do not hold grudges. Not to mention - most of us would like to be forgiven for the wrongs we commit against others, and we would like to not be thought of as "that guy that was a jerk" or "that gossiping girl," etc.

Bonnie said:
In faith we are told to seperate the sin from the sinner,....
It's a very hard thing to do, and a very hard concept to grasp,
So what exactly does this mean, do you think? It's one thing to think that all theives or prostitutes are bad. They may be decent deep down inside but have many different reasons for their behavior. But what about a murderer? I mean one who seriously plots the demise of another human being. Can this action be seperated from the person? And should it be? Can you justify such behavior?

and have some kind of cohesive moral foundation for society to thrive, and different faiths to exist peacefully.
Forgiveness is for us not the other person. Most times the other person doesn't care whether they're forgiven or not. If you can't/won't/don't forgive, you spend your life hating or wanting revenge. You never have peace of mind. They aren't worth the time you spend.

Joz said:
So what exactly does this mean, do you think? It's one thing to think that all theives or prostitutes are bad. They may be decent deep down inside but have many different reasons for their behavior. But what about a murderer? I mean one who seriously plots the demise of another human being. Can this action be seperated from the person? And should it be? Can you justify such behavior?

I don't think it's up to us to make such distinctions. In the eyes of God, a sin is a sin, whether it's swearing, prostitution, homosexuality, or murder.

gop_jeff said:
I don't think it's up to us to make such distinctions. In the eyes of God, a sin is a sin, whether it's swearing, prostitution, homosexuality, or murder.
I can't & won't argue that point with you. But we're talking about us a humans, being able to seperate the two. Not God. If we can't, then can we truly forgive?
Theivery is theivery. And there is alternatives. But wouldn't you claim that a man who steals food for his children because he can't find work is different than a kid who steals a TV because he wants it or because of drug money? Wouldn't it be much easier to forgive someone who killed your cousin over someone who killed your wife?

Joz said:
I can't & won't argue that point with you. But we're talking about us a humans, being able to seperate the two. Not God. If we can't, then can we truly forgive?
Theivery is theivery. And there is alternatives. But wouldn't you claim that a man who steals food for his children because he can't find work is different than a kid who steals a TV because he wants it or because of drug money? Wouldn't it be much easier to forgive someone who killed your cousin over someone who killed your wife?

I understand your point. Yes, certain situations are easier to forgive than others. But we are still called to forgive. Maybe it takes a few minutes, maybe it takes years. But we are still to forgive, always.

I can seperate the sin from the sinner. I do it all the time with homos...

Forgiveness is left for God to decide. As for us I believe it to be a useful tool for humans in order to move on.

actually
i think that all human have sins
there is no human without sins or mistakes
except the prophets i think
so if you can get separate the sin from the sinners
if you made a sin other will do the same as you did i mean separate you from your sin and forget it to you or forgive you
although i think that the whole forginvness is only for allah
if you regret forhat you did
only if you ask for forgivness
and intend never to do it agian
cause there cant be a human forgive you for every think you did
and at the same time the one who created you is the only who know all about you and he will be the ****
i will tell you a story
once there was a man came to ()
and asked him i always do sins and couldnt stop my self to do it
he asked him to do this sin in a place the God cant see him in it
then he said how?? there is no place god cant see me in it
then he told him,, okay if you insist in make sins do it in a land doesnt belong to allah
he said how allah created all the universe
so he told him if you more and more insist on making sins
dont eat from allah ****
he said how ,, it couldnt be every means of living in this universe is for allah

then our() prophet muhammed told him dont you shame from your self
you live in allah land and eat from his land and he is the only one who can see you every where
and you insist on rebel him

It is my understanding that love and forgiveness are the hingepins of Christian teaching. I believe the idea of separating the sin from the sinner to be a valuable tool for anyone trying to achieve a greater understanding of the message that Jesus was trying to bring to the world.
The act of forgiving an act and loving the person who committed it accomplishes at least 2 things. It returns us to a place of humility and can bestow a sense of compassion upon the person who commited the act. Jesus constantly insisted that love(charity) was the greatest act a human can do.
The concept of forgiveness is often misunderstood. Some feel asking God's forgiveness is merely an act of temporary contrition so that one feels free to commit the act again. Others feel it to be an act of weakness which simply allows others to continue doing evil.
Our goverments' method of dealing with evil goes not necessarily reflect that of any particular religions' but is merely a system of historcal codification. While similar to Chistian teaching, trying to make them match would create a theocracy that Christians do not want to see occur. America has so far chosen civil judgements for evil acts and left it up to the people to deal with the religious ramifications.
Jesus' command to "love thine enemies" was earthshaking to the area of the world where it was first delivered and initiated a worldwide movement committed to trying to love and understand our fellow man. Many today have yet to understand the profound power of compassion.

What's forgiveness?

Thing is we have to grow inside ourself and have our own truths there. Anyone can learn anything. That doesn't mean its truth. Truth has to come from inside you. Only you can really know what you believe is right and good.
The harest thing is to know and then screw up and forgive yourself. What others do isn't on you. What you do is what's on you.

If a god created us with all of what we are and knows the future like we're acting a script already written then what's to forgive? We were gven freedom of choice and didn't walk the narrow path? It gets complicated but it's truth. If we did walk the narrow path then we would mess up the script of not walking it and all those lessons would be lost for everyone. That's the kind of BS that made me leave all the organized stuff. I mean, dude, don't gve me desires and passions and then threaten me with eternal hell for acting on them.

Thornton said:
What's forgiveness?

Thing is we have to grow inside ourself and have our own truths there. Anyone can learn anything. That doesn't mean its truth. Truth has to come from inside you. Only you can really know what you believe is right and good.
The harest thing is to know and then screw up and forgive yourself. What others do isn't on you. What you do is what's on you.

If a god created us with all of what we are and knows the future like we're acting a script already written then what's to forgive? We were gven freedom of choice and didn't walk the narrow path? It gets complicated but it's truth. If we did walk the narrow path then we would mess up the script of not walking it and all those lessons would be lost for everyone. That's the kind of BS that made me leave all the organized stuff. I mean, dude, don't gve me desires and passions and then threaten me with eternal hell for acting on them.
I think it simply means that desires and passions should be coupled with discipline and if they are not, pain will result. Just take it a some advice with good intentions.

Forum List

Back