Can science and religion coexist peacefully?

The question isn't whether they mix, but whether they can coexist.

So long as each remembers its limitations and doesn't try to speak on that which it cannot speak on, there is no problem.

See, for instance, Mr Mendel and his peas. A fine example of faith and sciences in their proper roles and places coexisting just fine, neither overstepping its bounds.

Co-exist how?

As different methods to interpret the world around us in the same places of education?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

Places of worship..are places of worship.

They should be kept separate. And it's mandated by our Constitution that they are..
wow... you really are dense

and then some :lol:

Can science and religion coexist peacefully? This is a good question to start an interesting discussion. See how it was answered by many smart people at my website:

h*ttp://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/donotmix.h*t*m*l (but remove the four *)

Please share this link with others, when appropriate. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, NJ, USA

P.S.
Clickable links are not allowed. Paste the the above reference into your browser manually into your browser and remove the asterisks. I am not advertising a product or service. What you see is a compilation of statements worth thinking about. I hope the moderator will understand; no one likes spam.

I think that science can't exist without faith and religion, the famous scientists were belivers, Newton, Descartes, Ibn Haytham, Pasteur...etc.

"Blessed is he who carries within himself a God, an ideal, and who obeys it: ideal of art, ideal of science"- Louis Pasteur

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind
". Albert Einstein

Two new “explorers” have been sighted recently at the Creation Museum as a part of the newly opened “Kneehigh Exhibits.” These fun-loving characters are Charlie, a curious, adventurous monkey who doesn’t understand the Bible, and Trike, a wise dinosaur who tries to explain it to him.
We chose to use these charming and imaginative characters (of course, animals don’t talk!) to engage young people to learn that humans did not evolve from a common ape-like ancestor, but were created in the image of God. And Trike? Well, dinosaurs are usually used as a tool to teach the “millions of years” belief, but we’ve taken back dinosaurs at the Creation Museum!

God bless science. :lol:

Over time they can.

The only religion left that still kills scientists for blasphemy is Islam.

Christians still do plenty of grandstanding, but deep down they know that religion has been relegated to being science's bitch.

So, why do you think "science" uses the Bible/Torah to give evidence that their theories are correct, when it comes to historical finds?
Have you ever noticed how "science" will tell you that all things Biblical have no basis in fact until they find a coin or some marked object from the times BC?
When they find something with a name from the Bible that is from an archeological dig, the Bible is their "first" reference to get people to believe them.
Religion and science is compatible, as long as each are used for their intended purposes:
Religion: to help individuals to grow spiritually
Science: to demonstrate facts or "prove" theories, that are repeatable.
It is when each is used for other purposes that the problems start.

No. Never.

Religion deals in superstition and faith.

Science deals in observation of the natural world.

The two simply do not mix.

So long as each remembers its limitations and doesn't try to speak on that which it cannot speak on, there is no problem.

See, for instance, Mr Mendel and his peas. A fine example of faith and sciences in their proper roles and places coexisting just fine, neither overstepping its bounds.

Co-exist how?

As different methods to interpret the world around us in the same places of education?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

They should be kept separate. And it's mandated by our Constitution that they are..

That is like keeping your physical portion and spirtual side, seperate, they are both parts of the whole.

Co-exist how?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

wow... you really are dense

Dense as in thickly muscled? Yeah..I can't help it..I use to move furniture for 11 years.

Doesn't make my point any less valid.

Blasphemy anyone?

Co-exist how?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

That is like keeping your physical portion and spirtual side, seperate, they are both parts of the whole.

I don't believe in spirits..unicorns..gods..devils...

So you keep your "spiritual" side private. There are multiple methods for you to worship.

So, why do you think "science" uses the Bible/Torah to give evidence that their theories are correct, when it comes to historical finds?

Er... they aren't. They're trying to use science to show that certain things in the bible may have happened. and *who* is it making those types of assertions? scientists? or theologians? I'm not sure what you believe supports your claim.

Have you ever noticed how "science" will tell you that all things Biblical have no basis in fact until they find a coin or some marked object from the times BC?
When they find something with a name from the Bible that is from an archeological dig, the Bible is their "first" reference to get people to believe them.
Religion and science is compatible, as long as each are used for their intended purposes:

again, you're making fairly wild assertions. who relies on the bible? we know ancient times existed. when a dig discloses archeological finds, they are viewed in the context of everything which occurred at that time.... including that part of the bible which may include historical fact (like the fact that david and solomon were kings, for example). logically, however, your premise does not follow with what you state as its basis. nor is it even clear that your purported basis has anyrthing to substantiate it.

for example, when you go to jerusalem, and you go behind the western wall toward the entrance to the dome of the rock, you will be in an area surrounded by stones weighing thousands of pounds.

this is a link to a picture. (i didn't post the image b/c it's too large and will disrupt this page)

http://www.israel-al.com/files/images/11541212689004.JPG

now, we know that those stones ended up there in 70 C.E., because that is when the Romans destroyed the Second Temple. Just because we know those things, does not mean that anyone is relying on the bible... it means that the bible incorporates some historical facts. you're viewing things backwards.

jesus-dinosaur.jpg

Yes. Easily. Because ideally they both have the same goal: Finding the Truth.

The problem comes when people cease looking for the truth and start with their own agendas.

Co-exist how?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

I don't believe in spirits..unicorns..gods..devils...

So you keep your "spiritual" side private. There are multiple methods for you to worship.

Your spiritual side is where your emotions originate. Are you saying everyone should keep those private too? Compassion is an action representing an emotion.

Er... they aren't. They're trying to use science to show that certain things in the bible may have happened. and *who* is it making those types of assertions? scientists? or theologians? I'm not sure what you believe supports your claim.

again, you're making fairly wild assertions. who relies on the bible? we know ancient times existed. when a dig discloses archeological finds, they are viewed in the context of everything which occurred at that time.... including that part of the bible which may include historical fact (like the fact that david and solomon were kings, for example). logically, however, your premise does not follow with what you state as its basis. nor is it even clear that your purported basis has anyrthing to substantiate it.

for example, when you go to jerusalem, and you go behind the western wall toward the entrance to the dome of the rock, you will be in an area surrounded by stones weighing thousands of pounds.

this is a link to a picture. (i didn't post the image b/c it's too large and will disrupt this page)

http://www.israel-al.com/files/images/11541212689004.JPG

now, we know that those stones ended up there in 70 C.E., because that is when the Romans destroyed the Second Temple. Just because we know those things, does not mean that anyone is relying on the bible... it means that the bible incorporates some historical facts. you're viewing things backwards.

Are you saying that scientists are trying to "prove" the Bible when they point that something that agrees with it, when they can show evidence?
How am I viewing backwards? I just feel that the "scientists" that say there is no G*d, that uses the Bible for Historical reference is hypocritical.

No. Never.

So you shouldn't eat where you shit or shit where you eat. Only you would interpret that to mean that you could only do one or the other, but not both. ;) :lol:

Seriously Sallow.... Has anyone ever told you that You are too Fundamental in your thinking. :eek: ;) :lol:

Over time they can.

The only religion left that still kills scientists for blasphemy is Islam.

Christians still do plenty of grandstanding, but deep down they know that religion has been relegated to being science's bitch.

You are just projecting your fantasies again. :eek: :lol:

^ a precursor to some of that grandstanding I was talking about. :rofl:

You have got to get past blaming God for your small Penis. ;)

Can science and religion coexist peacefully? This is a good question to start an interesting discussion. See how it was answered by many smart people at my website:

h*ttp://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/donotmix.h*t*m*l (but remove the four *)

Please share this link with others, when appropriate. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, NJ, USA

P.S.
Clickable links are not allowed. Paste the the above reference into your browser manually into your browser and remove the asterisks. I am not advertising a product or service. What you see is a compilation of statements worth thinking about. I hope the moderator will understand; no one likes spam.
atheisttrap.jpg

No. Never.

Co-exist how?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

So should Theory be kept separate from Conclusion. ;)

Forum List

Back