Can science and religion coexist peacefully?

kowalskil

Nov 30, 2010
Fort Lee, NJ
Can science and religion coexist peacefully? This is a good question to start an interesting discussion. See how it was answered by many smart people at my website:

h*ttp://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/donotmix.h*t*m*l (but remove the four *)

Please share this link with others, when appropriate. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, NJ, USA

P.S.
Clickable links are not allowed. Paste the the above reference into your browser manually into your browser and remove the asterisks. I am not advertising a product or service. What you see is a compilation of statements worth thinking about. I hope the moderator will understand; no one likes spam.

I'm sure there's plenty of scientists who believe in both the law of gravity--for example--and some kind of god. So yeah they can coexist in an individual. Politicians benefit from having the two being opposed in society though.

No, onsomuch as 'religion' refers to organized religion and/or dogmatic belief

The same can be said for Science. The common factor here is that Human's are involved. ;) :lol:

Double Speak in relation to electrical flow, magnetic polarity properties or nature. Time and discovery have us tripping over what we think we know all of the time.

Both True Science and True Religion are nice Ideals.

The same can be said for Science.

Dogmatism is the enemy of progress on all fronts

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Science-Liberty-Democracy-Reason-Nature/dp/0060781505]Amazon.com: The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature (9780060781507): Timothy Ferris: Books[/ame]

The same can be said for Science.

Dogmatism is the enemy of progress on all fronts

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Science-Liberty-Democracy-Reason-Nature/dp/0060781505]Amazon.com: The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature (9780060781507): Timothy Ferris: Books[/ame]

So let me know when it can surgically be removed. ;) :lol:

Over time they can.

The only religion left that still kills scientists for blasphemy is Islam.

Christians still do plenty of grandstanding, but deep down they know that religion has been relegated to being science's bitch.

Over time they can.

Christians still do plenty of grandstanding, but deep down they know that religion has been relegated to being science's bitch.

You are just projecting your fantasies again. :eek: :lol:

No. Never.

Religion deals in superstition and faith.

Science deals in observation of the natural world.

The two simply do not mix.

Over time they can.

Dr. Tiller was killed by a Muslim?

Yeah..get back to me on that.

No. Never.

The question isn't whether they mix, but whether they can coexist.

So long as each remembers its limitations and doesn't try to speak on that which it cannot speak on, there is no problem.

See, for instance, Mr Mendel and his peas. A fine example of faith and sciences in their proper roles and places coexisting just fine, neither overstepping its bounds.

Over time they can.

He was killed for 'murdering babies', not for blasphemy.

Do try to keep up.

Over time they can.

He was killed for 'murdering babies', not for blasphemy.

Do try to keep up.

Yes..do..

"Tiller is the concentration camp 'Mengele' of our day and needs to be stopped before he and those who protect him bring judgment upon our nation."
—a poster calling himself Scott Roeder, at ChargeTiller.com, Sept. 3, 2007

Read more: Scott Roeder: The Tiller Murder Suspect - TIME

Randall Terry, the original founder of Operation Rescue, said:
“ George Tiller was a mass-murderer. We grieve for him that he did not have time to properly prepare his soul to face God. I am more concerned that the Obama Administration will use Tiller's killing to intimidate pro-lifers into surrendering our most effective rhetoric and actions. Abortion is still murder. And we still must call abortion by its proper name; murder. Those men and women who slaughter the unborn are murderers according to the Law of God. We must continue to expose them in our communities and peacefully protest them at their offices and homes, and yes, even their churches.[58]
Assassination of George Tiller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

blas·phe·my   /ˈblæsfəmi/ Show Spelled
[blas-fuh-mee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -mies.
1. impious utterance or action concerning god or sacred things.
2. Judaism .
a. an act of cursing or reviling God.
b. pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.
3. Theology . the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
4. irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.

No. Never.

So long as each remembers its limitations and doesn't try to speak on that which it cannot speak on, there is no problem.

See, for instance, Mr Mendel and his peas. A fine example of faith and sciences in their proper roles and places coexisting just fine, neither overstepping its bounds.

Co-exist how?

As different methods to interpret the world around us in the same places of education?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

Places of worship..are places of worship.

They should be kept separate. And it's mandated by our Constitution that they are..

No. Never.

Co-exist how?

As different methods to interpret the world around us in the same places of education?

No..they cannot.

Schools are schools.

Places of worship..are places of worship.

They should be kept separate. And it's mandated by our Constitution that they are..
wow... you really are dense

Forum List

Back