California not suffering, drought?

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
How is it so, that during what we are told, is, "the worst drought in history", that California produces a record harvest of Grapes.

Seems awful short sighted, even mean, that California's Liberal/Democrats are more concerned with their "upper class wine", than saving water.

Water spilled for Wine, Water spilled for Solar Power. Yet the people are made to suffer with no water.

Liberal/Democrats, I guess this is what Obama talks about at all those Beverly Hills fund raisers.

Calif. wine-grape growers celebrate record harvest Fox News

Calif. wine-grape growers celebrate record harvest
Published February 15, 2014
Associated Press
Facebook64 Twitter150
MODESTO, Calif. – California agriculture officials reported good news for wine lovers and vineyard operators alike: a record harvest of wine grapes.

Growers in the nation's premier wine region brought in a bumper crop last year, thanks to expanded acreage and overall favorable weather.

Wine brokers told The Modesto Bee that two back-to-back years of large harvests will mean wine aficionados should find plenty of bargain bottles on grocery store shelves.

"Consumers are in a great position because of the amount of wine that is coming out of California," said Erica Moyer of Riverbank, a grape and wine broker for Turrentine Brokerage in Novato

url-350x350.jpeg

No worry, we lost all our wine in the recent Earthquake.

Now we have nothing left in the Peoples Republic.

I understand Commissar Brown has ordered oily vodka, but none has shown up yet....

From the story about the grape harvest:

Growers in the nation's premier wine region brought in a bumper crop last year, thanks to expanded acreage and overall favorable weather.

I can't water my lawn but the city of San Diego waters the weeds on the side of the freeway in the hottest part of the day. But the weather is fantastic 80% of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't water my lawn but the city of San Diego waters the weeds on the side of the freeway in the hottest part of the day. But the weather is fantastic 80% of the year

Your lawn is not preventing mudslides and erosion onto major highways (when the rain returns).

Still, the State of California is screaming drought, the price of food we are told is rising because they just do not have the water, yet at the same time they have enough water to make a record amount of expensive wine, I guess to drink while they snub their noses at the peasants who believe the, "news".

I find it very ironic, even while its raining we are told its a drought, record grape crops, and its reported as a drought.

The worst drought on record and we have enough water to make expensive wine, how is that? Yea, they expanded the acreage, which takes more water, but we do not have water?

It is all politics, money, and power.

Chinatown

Grapes are a food crop. Wine is a staple. Quit yer bitchin'.

As the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers upscale cousin Leopold once said "Wine will get you through times of no water better than water will get you through times of no wine".

Grapes are food?

I guess compression is lacking, crick.

Grapes for wine, not a food staple, like wheat or beef.

Wine is a food staple for the liberal democrat slobs that dictate.

Everything is fine, as long as you are a rich wine producer, plenty of water to expand profits while at the same time the people are told we ain't got the water to flush the toilet or take a hot bath.

Irony?

Looks like old crock is an old crock.

The liberal sky is falling agw jerks can have their cake and eat it too.

There is no water in california, worst drought ever, but water intensive crops like grapes for wine are doing better than fine, the are setting records, more grapes than ever before.

When one points out the contradiction there is silence from some and downright angry, shut the f#!k up comments from others.

Global warming green energy advocates are the new nazis, the new bigots.

It's kind of crazy to see that prehistoric behavior in the 21st century.

There is no water in california, worst drought ever, but water intensive crops like grapes for wine are doing better than fine, the are setting records, more grapes than ever before.

Do you take 'stupid pills' or use meth? Or were you born this stupid?

California Viticulture Hit Hard by Drought
Liberty Voice
May 15, 2014
(excerpts)
California is a major contributor within the global viticulture community. The entire state is facing a severe drought which is drastically affecting the people, wildlife and agriculture of the land mass. Because wine production and exportation is majorly important for the economy of the state, wine producers and enthusiasts are very worried about the final outcome of the drought and how hard it will have hit California’s lucrative viticulture. The production of wine is under scrutiny by residents of the state. The amount of water necessary to keep California’s wine production stable is astronomical. With 100 percent of the state’s residents now having to watch their personal water intake, many are looking to ensure that the wineries are also under the same rules. Many wineries have been looking for new underground wells to tap in order to sustain their crops, while others are abandoning their vines altogether.

Wine growing regions of California are normally very prosperous- one region within the state was awarded the Wine Region of the Year in 2013 by Wine Enthusiast magazine. California provides well over three-fourths of the nation’s wine. Earlier this year wine production was expected to crawl, with a 25 percent decrease in production across the board. With the entire state now under the most severe drought it has seen in 100 years, wine production and viticulture as a whole will likely slow even more in the coming months, with this hit of hardship possibly lasting for years. Some regions, particularly the Napa Valley, were expecting the worst earlier this year in terms of drought and were confident that crops could withstand the lack of water. However, other areas only had one month of water earlier this year, so it is very likely that their current situation is dire. On average, a grapevine being grown without water restrictions requires about six gallons of water per week. Needless to say, the grapevines of California are not receiving this necessary amount of water. Some growers are preparing for zero production for the remainder of the year as they watch their vines succumb to terrible drought conditions, one by one.

In reality, anthropogenic global warming deniers are the new 'Flat Earthers', the new 'Know-Nothing Party', and the tragic victims of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Oh, and then there is this....

Godwin’s Law (earlier referred to as reductio ad Hitlerum [1]) was formulated by the attorney Mike Godwin (former general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation) in the 1990s and states:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”
Traditionally in many Internet discussion forums, it is the rule that once such a comparison is made, the discussion is effectively finished and whoever mentioned Hitler or the Nazis has automatically lost the debate.

Do you take 'stupid pills' or use meth? Or were you born this stupid?

California Viticulture Hit Hard by Drought
Liberty Voice
May 15, 2014
(excerpts)
California is a major contributor within the global viticulture community. The entire state is facing a severe drought which is drastically affecting the people, wildlife and agriculture of the land mass. Because wine production and exportation is majorly important for the economy of the state, wine producers and enthusiasts are very worried about the final outcome of the drought and how hard it will have hit California’s lucrative viticulture. The production of wine is under scrutiny by residents of the state. The amount of water necessary to keep California’s wine production stable is astronomical. With 100 percent of the state’s residents now having to watch their personal water intake, many are looking to ensure that the wineries are also under the same rules. Many wineries have been looking for new underground wells to tap in order to sustain their crops, while others are abandoning their vines altogether.

Wine growing regions of California are normally very prosperous- one region within the state was awarded the Wine Region of the Year in 2013 by Wine Enthusiast magazine. California provides well over three-fourths of the nation’s wine. Earlier this year wine production was expected to crawl, with a 25 percent decrease in production across the board. With the entire state now under the most severe drought it has seen in 100 years, wine production and viticulture as a whole will likely slow even more in the coming months, with this hit of hardship possibly lasting for years. Some regions, particularly the Napa Valley, were expecting the worst earlier this year in terms of drought and were confident that crops could withstand the lack of water. However, other areas only had one month of water earlier this year, so it is very likely that their current situation is dire. On average, a grapevine being grown without water restrictions requires about six gallons of water per week. Needless to say, the grapevines of California are not receiving this necessary amount of water. Some growers are preparing for zero production for the remainder of the year as they watch their vines succumb to terrible drought conditions, one by one.

In reality, anthropogenic global warming deniers are the new 'Flat Earthers', the new 'Know-Nothing Party', and the tragic victims of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Oh, and then there is this....

Godwin’s Law (earlier referred to as reductio ad Hitlerum [1]) was formulated by the attorney Mike Godwin (former general counsel for the Wikimedia Foundation) in the 1990s and states:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”
Traditionally in many Internet discussion forums, it is the rule that once such a comparison is made, the discussion is effectively finished and whoever mentioned Hitler or the Nazis has automatically lost the debate.
It is raining right now, torrential downpour and Rolling Blunder looks at a Google paid search result for the truth.

(1) The record crop growth was last year, which is 2013. In other words...before the drought. So the OP article is irrelevant to what this year's crop yield will be, which is not yet known because the year is not over, and which will most definitely be less than 2013.

(2) CA is most definitely in a drought. I live here, and I see it with my own eyes every day. The drought is very real and very serious, regardless of the validity of global warming.

(3) The above two points are all that needs to be said in this thread.

(1) The record crop growth was last year, which is 2013. In other words...before the drought. So the OP article is irrelevant to what this year's crop yield will be, which is not yet known because the year is not over, and which will most definitely be less than 2013.

(2) CA is most definitely in a drought. I live here, and I see it with my own eyes every day. The drought is very real and very serious, regardless of the validity of global warming.

Last year, 2013, is before the drought that has been going on since the end 2011?

My OP specifically states we are not suffering, we are setting records in agriculture as well as water preservation. We celebrated a record grape harvest during the current drought, hardly suffering.

You live here, big deal, I live here as well and see it with my own eyes, the shutting down of two nuclear power plants, less energy means less energy to pump water.

How naive you are to believe that the media and the government actually tell the complete truth.

Is there one story, is there one news report, are there any politicians discussing the impact of trying to pump water after shutting down two nuclear reactors?

What about the impact of pumping water with Green Energy? Is it even possible?

I do not trust the government nor the media.

Try reading Cadillac desert and watching Chinatown, then take a look at your drought stricken state.

Last year, 2013, is before the drought that has been going on since the end 2011?
The drought did not begin state-wide at the end of 2011, nor were there serious drought conditions in the region that grows grapes. As to the article I am responding to, the wine region in reference was not in drought at all in the first half of 2013, but in fact was even wetter than the prior year (hence the higher crop yields). Only at the end of 2013 did it even begin to experience any significant levels of drought, and by that time the grapes had already been harvested (harvesting season for grapes is around August).
192 drought maps reveal just how thirsty California has become - LA Times

Conditions began to worsen across the state towards the end of 2013, and the state of emergency was declared January of this year. Sorry, but your grape example doesn't discount anything. It only shows you are misinformed.

My OP specifically states we are not suffering, we are setting records in agriculture as well as water preservation. We celebrated a record grape harvest during the current drought, hardly suffering.
We did not suffer record grape harvest during the current drought, as proven above. Water preservation is in response to the drought, and it is completely bizarre that the fact people are using less water is somehow evidence in your mind that the drought is having no effect--that is exactly the effect you would expect a drought to have.

You live here, big deal, I live here as well and see it with my own eyes, the shutting down of two nuclear power plants, less energy means less energy to pump water.

How naive you are to believe that the media and the government actually tell the complete truth.

Is there one story, is there one news report, are there any politicians discussing the impact of trying to pump water after shutting down two nuclear reactors?

Try reading Cadillac desert and watching Chinatown, then take a look at your drought stricken state.
I don't trust the government or the media either. But that doesn't mean everything they say is automatically false. The reality is that CA is suffering a very serious drought, and that drought is having an impact on agriculture and regions used to higher levels of water across the statement. Even up in the mountains snow levels were so low that many ski resorts lost big money.

But feel free to keep your head in the sand and pretend like the drought doesn't matter--just be careful. When the rains do come again, the soil will be more prone to flooding, and you might get washed away.

The drought did not begin state-wide at the end of 2011, nor were there serious drought conditions in the region that grows grapes. As to the article I am responding to, the wine region in reference was not in drought at all in the first half of 2013, but in fact was even wetter than the prior year (hence the higher crop yields). Only at the end of 2013 did it even begin to experience any significant levels of drought, and by that time the grapes had already been harvested (harvesting season for grapes is around August).
192 drought maps reveal just how thirsty California has become - LA Times

Conditions began to worsen across the state towards the end of 2013, and the state of emergency was declared January of this year. Sorry, but your grape example doesn't discount anything. It only shows you are misinformed.

We did not suffer record grape harvest during the current drought, as proven above. Water preservation is in response to the drought, and it is completely bizarre that the fact people are using less water is somehow evidence in your mind that the drought is having no effect--that is exactly the effect you would expect a drought to have.

I don't trust the government or the media either. But that doesn't mean everything they say is automatically false. The reality is that CA is suffering a very serious drought, and that drought is having an impact on agriculture and regions used to higher levels of water across the statement. Even up in the mountains snow levels were so low that many ski resorts lost big money.

But feel free to keep your head in the sand and pretend like the drought doesn't matter--just be careful. When the rains do come again, the soil will be more prone to flooding, and you might get washed away.
Keep my head in the sand, better to keep my head in the sand, versus being like you with your head up your ass!

Try some reading comprehension to start, my title states, "California not suffering," that is with a comma, we are not suffering. Not unless like I point out, that I can not flush my toilet nor take a bath.

So you failed to realize that I am making a point, that some are suffering while people like you drink their wine and look down upon us who suffer your policies.

I realize that this may not be your position but this is the point I fighting, which you have taken upon yourself to argue.

How about that title, "drought?", with a question mark, get your head out of your ass and think about what that means as well.

And how about all the other threads here, do you think maybe this thread is a response or a counter to the information being posted.

If ShakledNation has his way, we are to ignore record grape harvests while being told we are in a drought over 30 months old, as posted in this thread and this link;

California suffering through SEVERE climate change US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

California Facing Worst Drought on Record NOAA Climate.gov

In the 30 months preceding December 2013, the state has received closer to 33 inches, just a bit less than the previous record low for a similar period, from July 1975-December 1977.

ShakledNation now wants to change the drought time period, ShakledNation has a clever google cut/paste to explain away contradictions.

Get your head out of the sand, ShakledNation and try and keep up.

That region was, "even wetter", than the prior year. As stated by ShakledNation. That region is where Southern California gets it water, we pump it from there.

We pump water from at least three sources, the first Water Project as started by Mullholland was the Owens Valley. Second was the Colorado, Third the Central Valley Project.

Three sources for Southern California water because Southern California is always in a drought, but thanks for pointing out that it was wetter than average from our largest source of water, up north.

ShakledNation, more like ShakledBrain

Forum List

Back