Businesses to close today (Thursday) in response to Florida immigration law

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

ORLANDO, Fla. - Workers and entire businesses in Florida and around the county plan to not work or close on Thursday.

This comes as a response to a new immigration law recently signed in Florida.

"This state is the most affected," said Jose Sivira, who works at a Mexican market in Sanford. "There are so many immigrants in this state."

The store, along with the San Miguel Mexican Grill next door will be closing for a day.

While the restaurant says it already had four chefs leave because they were worried about the new laws, the store says it is losing a lot of customers.

WOFL-Immigration-law-protest.jpg

"The problem is the customers," Sivira said. "The customers are Mexican people, from Guatemala, Venezuela, Columbia, El Salvador. All of those countries they try to move to other states. So, the businesses are closing."

"We as well are immigrants from other places and our parents as well, so we understand the struggle in what’s going on, so just to support," said Isabel Gaspar, the manager of El Zocalo Mexican Restaurant in Sanford.

The movement has been spreading on social media and goes far beyond just restaurants.

"I think everyone’s going to be affected, not just me," said Antonio Paxtor, the owner of Anthony's Landscaping.

The landscaping company will also be closed Thursday, saying new laws make it harder to find employees.

"We are supposed to be the world’s leading superpower, and yet we can’t even maintain control of our own southern border," said Governor Ron DeSantis earlier in May.

DeSantis signed a law that will suspend businesses' licenses if they hire illegal immigrants and funds a program to transport illegal immigrants to other states, among other things.

"It will maybe show a little impact of what could happen if it does go longer for more days and if a lot more immigrants leave the State of Florida as well," Gaspar said.

So their response to the new law is to close and not make money?

They are pissed because to stay open they have to hire legal employees and not pay slave labor wages under the table.

Oh no! the illegals are leaving and moving to other states! I hear NYC is nice this time of year. ;)

well-bye-bye.gif

ORLANDO, Fla. - Workers and entire businesses in Florida and around the county plan to not work or close on Thursday.

This comes as a response to a new immigration law recently signed in Florida.

"This state is the most affected," said Jose Sivira, who works at a Mexican market in Sanford. "There are so many immigrants in this state."

The store, along with the San Miguel Mexican Grill next door will be closing for a day.

While the restaurant says it already had four chefs leave because they were worried about the new laws, the store says it is losing a lot of customers.

WOFL-Immigration-law-protest.jpg

"The problem is the customers," Sivira said. "The customers are Mexican people, from Guatemala, Venezuela, Columbia, El Salvador. All of those countries they try to move to other states. So, the businesses are closing."

"We as well are immigrants from other places and our parents as well, so we understand the struggle in what’s going on, so just to support," said Isabel Gaspar, the manager of El Zocalo Mexican Restaurant in Sanford.

The movement has been spreading on social media and goes far beyond just restaurants.

"I think everyone’s going to be affected, not just me," said Antonio Paxtor, the owner of Anthony's Landscaping.

The landscaping company will also be closed Thursday, saying new laws make it harder to find employees.

"We are supposed to be the world’s leading superpower, and yet we can’t even maintain control of our own southern border," said Governor Ron DeSantis earlier in May.

DeSantis signed a law that will suspend businesses' licenses if they hire illegal immigrants and funds a program to transport illegal immigrants to other states, among other things.

"It will maybe show a little impact of what could happen if it does go longer for more days and if a lot more immigrants leave the State of Florida as well," Gaspar said.

So their response to the new law is to close and not make money?

They are pissed because to stay open they have to hire legal employees and not pay slave labor wages under the table.

Oh no! the illegals are leaving and moving to other states! I hear NYC is nice this time of year. ;)

well-bye-bye.gif

The left so dearly love their slaves.

Hmmm, going after the employers for hiring illegal immigrants. Isn't that what we've been told for decades Republicans wouldn't ever do? I would think democrats and liberals (but I repeat myself) would be cheering for this.

How is it unconstitutional to capture those here illegally and taking them back to the border? I'd really like to know.

The premise was the state doing this. The state can not enforce immigration law. That is up to the Federal government. Also anyone here legally or unlegally are under the jurisdiction of U.S. law and the Constitution and are afforded due process.

Did some of you never attend school or read anything today?

I clearly said the state can not simply pick people up and deport them like you promoted. That would indeed be unconstitutional.
No, you didnt say that. See, I can be a technical asshole too.
There are procedures for deportation. It should be implied. But alas. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, going after the employers for hiring illegal immigrants. Isn't that what we've been told for decades Republicans wouldn't ever do? I would think democrats and liberals (but I repeat myself) would be cheering for this.

Hmmmmm, I and many others are cheering it.

Holy crap! Someone is actually going after employers! The MAIN thing that has needed to be done for decades.
Im impressed.

I support going after the employers but this busing is completely nutz and I see it as Government Kidnapping.
They should be kidnapping them and taking them back to the border.

Agreed but it's called deportation.

The premise was the state doing this. The state can not enforce immigration law. That is up to the Federal government.
If a state or city can openly defy federal immigration law and declare itself a "sanctuary" wherein illegal immigrants will not be turned over to federal agents, and wherein said federal agents are impeded from operating, a state or city should be able to declare itself an enforcer of federal immigration law and turn said immigrants over to federal authorities whenever and wherever found, even if they turned over back at the border.
Also anyone here legally or unlegally are under the jurisdiction of U.S. law and the Constitution and are afforded due process.

Did some of you never attend school or read anything today?
If someone is here illegally for a long time, and has never even made an attempt to contact authorities for proper processing, their "due process" should be to first go back across the border, then contact the appropriate authorities for their due process. They can be handed a card complete with all the contact information they need.

They're AVOIDING due process by simply sneaking in and running from ICE.

Forum List

Back