Bush to attend convention of oldest Black Organization in the country...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Yea just like that racist, hatemonger Bush to reach out to members of the Black community that actually wish to change Black people's lives for the better.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125754,00.html

Bush to Address Urban League
Thursday, July 15, 2004

WASHINGTON — Leaders of the NAACP (search), through their "hostile rhetoric," have shown no interest in working with President Bush, the White House said Thursday. The president skipped speaking to the group, but will address the annual meeting of another civil rights organization next week.

Bush will speak at the Urban League (search) on July 23 during its convention in Detroit. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry also has been invited to speak to the league.

"The president welcomes differing views — constructive dialogue about differences. Ways we can work together on shared priorities is an important part of our national discourse. But the current (NAACP) leadership, through their repeated partisan comments and hostile rhetoric, have shown that they are not interested in a constructive dialogue," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

Bush declined to speak to the NAACP during its convention in Philadelphia this week, drawing criticism from NAACP leaders. Although he spoke to the group when he was running for president, Bush has not attended its convention as president, the first since the 1930s to decline to speak to the group.

The White House cited a scheduling conflict when it turned down the NAACP invitation. Bush later said his relationship with NAACP leaders was "nonexistent" and told reporters, "You've heard the rhetoric and the names they've called me."

On Monday, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume (search) described Bush's black supporters as "ventriloquists' dummies" and said the president's decision not to speak at the convention was an insult. The same day, NAACP chairman Julian Bond urged members to oust Bush and condemned the administration's policies on education, the economy and the war in Iraq.

Kerry was scheduled to speak to the NAACP on Thursday, the final day of its convention.

Bush spoke to an Urban League conference in July 2003, telling the mostly black audience that his economic policies were a path to "greater opportunity and hope" for black Americans. When he addressed the group's national convention in Washington in August 2001 he asked members to support his education initiatives.

For info on the Urban League...
http://www.nul.org/about/mission.htm

This is a true Black Organization that is trying to empower Blacks by teaching them to educate themselves. They also reach out to all parties and not just pandering to the one. They have also invited John Kerry to speak at their Convention. More proof of the disgrace that the NAACP has become.

insein said:
Yea just like that racist, hatemonger Bush to reach out to members of the Black community that actually wish to change Black people's lives for the better.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125754,00.html

For info on the Urban League...
http://www.nul.org/about/mission.htm

This is a true Black Organization that is trying to empower Blacks by reaching out to all parties and not just pandering to the one. They have also invited John Kerry to speak at their Convention. More proof of the disgrace that the NAACP has become.

Excellent! When I was majoring in Sociology, back ahem! The Urban League was more than willing to help with data they thought census missed. At the same time they were Cosby like, earlier. Urban League cares about Blacks getting their share! But not a handout or give away. The old 'teach a man to fish...'

I for one was glad to hear Bush had the balls to say no. I'm tired of seeing Politicians pander to something they don't believe in. They are obviously a partisan group,and will never support a Republican-so why bother? Their comments about black people that support Bush are rascist as well. They shouldn't even be taken seriously until they can be a hell of a lot more partisan. I'm glad there are organizations like the urban league out there that can give the U.S. some hope of an undivided country.

krisy said:
I for one was glad to hear Bush had the balls to say no. I'm tired of seeing Politicians pander to something they don't believe in. They are obviously a partisan group,and will never support a Republican-so why bother? Their comments about black people that support Bush are rascist as well. They shouldn't even be taken seriously until they can be a hell of a lot more partisan. I'm glad there are organizations like the urban league out there that can give the U.S. some hope of an undivided country.
All I can say to that is "DITTO" . The only reason they wanted GW to speak is so they would get publicity on tv. The real people don,t have the same views. Honestly, its just Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Kwasi Infume making money anyway, off of the people they claim to be helping!!!!!!

William Joyce's prediction is that Bush II will receive less than 10 percent of the black vote in November --- and less than he received in 2000, which was less than Bush I.

Bush II will also receive a similarly paltry share of the Hispanic vote that he thinks will save the GOP.

Point: Republican pandering to minorities won't work because racial identity won't ever go away. To them, Republicans are the party of whites. That's it. The conservative fantasy that blacks and Hispanics are all going to shed their athletic gear and don slacks and bow ties and start voting Republican is foolish and destructive. What Republicans need to start doing is addressing the needs of WHITE Americans: stopping immigration, getting rid of affirmative action, clamping down on the violent criminal attacks on whites, lowering taxes, creating jobs here at home and delivering an America-first foreign policy.

Forum List

Back