Cheney Staying

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&ncid=536&e=3&u=/ap/20040715/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_3

"He's made his decision," Cheney said of Bush. "I've made mine. I suppose right now, because we're in the run up to the convention, people don't have much to talk about so you get speculation on that. It's normal. When we get to the convention, I think that'll put an end to it."

2. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Frankly, I wanted to see Cheney go only because I felt we needed to "nurture" somebody for the top spot in `08.

However, I am more happy to see that he is staying. We are in a war and for Bush to change, that would send a signal (not really, but the way the libs' antennae are, they would have picked it up this way) that Bush perhaps doubted himself and the decisions made during his first term.

Hey, could you imagine a Powell/Condi ticket? Or even a Condi/JC ticket?

Frankly, there will be somebody that will come out of nowhere during the next couple of years that will take the GOP mantle. One possible contender (seriously) is Rick Perry, the current governor of Texas. He is a Republican, but is also a former Democrat. He could attract a lot of Hispanic votes as from 1985 to 1991, he was a popular politician that represented a rural West Texas district in the Texas House of Representatives. He is a STRONG fiscal conservative, but is more "liberal" in some of his social views.

3. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Id personally like to see Rudy somewhere on the '08 ticket. I agree about Cheney not leaving... I dont see him as a contender for the Presidential election in '08, but I'm glad he's staying.

4. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Rudy is nice, but Rudy is a RINO. Not for president for me.

5. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Perry isn't as well liked out here as some would like to think. the moderates of the state see him as too deep in the pockets of big business and paying more attention to tom delay than the states issues like the budget and education.

6. Gop guy

Gop guy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheney's a great guy and a fine conservative, but he could drop dead of a heart attack at my moment!

NOT a good attribute for a President in training, which is what a VP is.

Please Bush, change!

While I believe we'll win with Cheney on, we could win by a much bigger margin if we chose someone like McCain or Powell.

I still want Cheney to voluntarily drop out.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree, though not with your choices. Rice or Giulliani! Powell has already said no, something there the wife doesn't want to deal with. McCain is too right for Bush, though on his own may be viable.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Bush is not going to change. Jesus people. This is not fanatasy politics where we pick and choose the people we want in there. Bush chose Cheney because he was the best man for the Job. He has condaleeza and Powell in there cause they are the best at their jobs. He needs these people where they are so that he has a strong support system. Above all else, he's not the type of guy to abandon a member of the team because they have a few failings.

Cheney will tear apart Edwards. This whole notion of Cheney stepping down was arranged by the Dems to create the illusion of unrest in the Republican camp. How else does a RUMOR get top fold on the NYT.

If its something the Dems want very bad, then it can't be good for the Republican party.

9. Gop guy

Gop guy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rice should hold our for 2008, Giulliani would be good yeah.

I mean, without any sort of change, our convention will be a BORING corination.

This might hurt our bounce, which we will need.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    If Cheney is GW's Choice, fine. Giulliani does it for me now! Condi in 2008! I'd love to see her with Watts. :D