Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

Where was the left's outrage when Clinton pardoned 16 FALN terrorists without even being asked?

Libby still has the conviction, a criminal record, and has to pay the fine - all for a questionable conviction at best

16 "terrorists" who had never been involved in any act of violence and who had each served at least 19 years in prison for those non-acts of violence. Some terrorists they were.

Wow. Not 24 hours have passed and this thread has 9 pages already.

Did Libby lie? If so, he should be punished.
It was concluded that he lied. He is being punished. He will not serve months in jail.

Did Clinton lie? If so, he should be punished.
Clinton got punished, if not for telling lies, then for events and behaviors surrounding a lie. He did not serve months in jail.

It is as simple as that.

Wow. Not 24 hours have passed and this thread has 9 pages already.

Did Libby lie? If so, he should be punished.
It was concluded that he lied. He is being punished. He will not serve months in jail.

Did Clinton lie? If so, he should be punished.
Clinton got punished, if not for telling lies, then for events and behaviors surrounding a lie. He did not serve months in jail.

It is as simple as that.

:thup: :clap2:

Fact: Whatever her former status, Valerie Plame is currently an analyst, not covered by the Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

Fact: Her identity as a CIA employee was already known and not a secret.

Fact: Valerie Plame “outed” herself to Joe Wilson while she was still undercover, a direct violation of both CIA security protocols and universally accepted security practices.

Fact: Joe Wilson went to Niger not once, but twice, as a result of Plame’s lobbying CIA superiors for him.

Fact: Joe Wilson came back with information supporting allegations that Iraq sought uranium from Niger.

Fact: Joe Wilson is lying through his teeth. But hey, he’s got a book out; he’s making the talk show circuit every day. Why give up on a good thing?

They must be laughing all the way to the bank! What began as a panicked attempt to deflect prying eyes from Joe Wilson’s lies has become a national movement to destroy one of George W. Bush’s key strategists.

Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame have a lot more explaining to do than anyone else. This entire controversy should be exposed immediately for the political fraud it is and Joe Wilson, pathological liar that he is, along with his “hidden in plain sight” wife, should be frog-marched to the nearest penitentiary.
http://truthandcons.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_archive.html

How about an independent, credible source source not some twit with delusions of grandeur? In case you hadn't noticed, your source didn't cite his/her sources. Dismissed.

Obama's lie...........

Obama statement on Bush decision to commute Libby's sentence| July 02, 2007
Barack Obama today released the following statement on President Bush's decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby.

"This decision to commute the sentence of a man who compromised our national security cements the legacy of an Administration characterized by a politics of cynicism and division, one that has consistently placed itself and its ideology above the law. This is exactly the kind of politics we must change so we can begin restoring the American people's faith in a government that puts the country's progress ahead of the bitter partisanship of recent years."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1859871/posts

Any actual evidence that Obama lied? I mean besides that a freeper said so? Never mind, you never have any anyways.

Obama's lie...........

Obama statement on Bush decision to commute Libby's sentence| July 02, 2007
Barack Obama today released the following statement on President Bush's decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby.

"This decision to commute the sentence of a man who compromised our national security cements the legacy of an Administration characterized by a politics of cynicism and division, one that has consistently placed itself and its ideology above the law. This is exactly the kind of politics we must change so we can begin restoring the American people's faith in a government that puts the country's progress ahead of the bitter partisanship of recent years."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1859871/posts

And you criticize me for pulling information from, and supplying links to supposedly biased source. Could any magazine be further to the Right than “Free Republic”?

Or will you agree with me that it does not matter the source, as long as the information is factual?

And you criticize me for pulling information from, and supplying links to supposedly biased source. Could any magazine be further to the Right than “Free Republic”?

Or will you agree with me that it does not matter the source, as long as the information is factual?

Was the quote wrong? If so, counter the impact would be great.

Was the quote wrong? If so, counter the impact would be great.

I don’t know if the quote was wrong or right. I was merely trying to wake RSR up to his own hypocrisy and double standard. I would sometimes pull information from Media Matters. RSR says that Media Matters has a left-wing bias and is financially supported by George Soros. Yet, RSR does not prove that the information that I provide via that web site is incorrect. I’m behaving like him in an attempt to get him to realize his double standard. I think that it is a futile game though. I think that I would have a better chance in getting a high school senoir to notice the unfairness and egocentric inconsistency.

My question to the Democrats on this board:

I want a flat out answer.

How is this wrong, yet Clinton's pardon's, which went to serious offenders, many of which were Democrat contributors, were acceptable?

Most of them weren't, and Goatboy seriously abused the power of the pardon with most of them.

Similarly, Bush abused his clemency authority and completely ignored the guidelines for presidential clemency in Libby's case. Given the number of clemency requests in the federal pipeline at this time, some three thousand including the border patrol agents who were convicted for shooting a drug runner, one can only hope their cases are reviewed according to the same standards and receive the same level of clemency given to 'Scooter'. Not likely.

she had a desk job, how is that classifed, and their were reports she said she was a cia agent at parties.

I dont think libby deserved to be found guilty, he was a scape goat.

What about sandy berger, he committed a worse crime, trying to cover up the truth. by destroying original documents..

Her working for the CIA was not classified, instead her working for the CIA as as a covert officer was in fact classified and that information was what was released by the Administration. They told the entire world that she worked for a Directorate of the CIA that was tasked with covert operations. This is true of the FBI as well. The fact that someone is an FBI agent may not be classified and everyone may now that they work for the FBI but under the Intelligence Identity Protection Act the identity of an FBI agent working in a counter-terrorism capacity is protected. Everyone in the world can say he is an FBI agent and not be breaking the law but no one can say "he is an FBI agent working in counter-terrorism" without breaking the law. That is what this administration did. The crime was not telling people that Valarie Plame worked for the CIA but instead the crime was in telling people that Valarie Plame worked in a counter-proliferation capacity at the CIA and this function was in fact a covert function. You cannot name me a single person other than Valarie Plame who she worked directly with at the CIA in this capacity because all of their identities are classified. If you can give me a single name of one of the covert officers I would greatly appreciate it because then I can quickly say "you are right" and the discussion would be over but you cannot provide a list of the names of every person she worked with nor would any of them be allowed to testify in a court case to prove that Valarie Plame was in fact a covert officer instead it is a given that someone who works in a covert directorate of the CIA is a covert officer. :eusa_boohoo:

My question to the Democrats on this board:

I want a flat out answer.

How is this wrong, yet Clinton's pardon's, which went to serious offenders, many of which were Democrat contributors, were acceptable?

The people Clinton pardoned, who were sentenced to prison, served at least some time behind bars. Prior to being pardoned. In some cases, they served ALL their time in prison, or had otherwise paid their debt to society, and the pardon was merely to lift lifetime restrictions on employment and voting rights.

Libby will serve zero time behind bars.

And I don't want to hear Libby-defenders bring up Marc Rich. Libby was Marc Rich's attorney and recommended clinton give rich clemency.

Statement from Patrick Fitzgerald, July 2, 2007:

We comment only on the statement in which the President termed the sentence imposed by the judge as "excessive."

The sentence in this case was imposed pursuant to the laws governing sentencings which occur every day throughout this country. In this case, an experienced federal judge considered extensive argument from the parties and then imposed a sentence consistent with the applicable laws. It is fundamental to the rule of law that all citizens stand before the bar of justice as equals. That principle guided the judge during both the trial and the sentencing.

This is what differentiates this Judge from Bush and those who support him regardless of his actions. The fact that this judge was appointed by Bush meant nothing to him and he simply enforced the applicable laws and gave the appropriate sentence after considering all of the facts and the verdict handed down by the jury. It is when the President thinks he is above the law and that this kind of conduct on his part is appropriate that Joseph Wilson and Valarie Plame as well as every American have the right to be upset that the rule of law does not exist for certain people. What can the Wilson's do now? Are they simply going to have to smile and accept that King George has handed down his decision in behalf of Duke Libby? When people are not protected by the law or by the legal system they becom angry and upset and I find Joseph Wilson's and Valarie Plame's restraint commendable considering that they now have no legal recourse against Georgie and Laurie. It is because of their respect for the rule of law that they don't go kick Laurie and Georgie's asses for what they have done. I thank the Wilson's for not taking the law into their own hands and condemn Bush for taking the law into his own hands. After all he is fond of referring to our government as "my government."

Libby shouldnt be in jail, because he didnt do anything wrong.

she was NOT covert. She had a desk job.

wrong. She was covert.

Libby was convicted of Three felonies, by a jury of his peers, and sentenced by a Judge appointed by President Bush himself, i.e., a Republican judge.

The point is...

A President can commute or Pardon anyone they wish...

Clinton pardoned 150 people...

So, you all are just going to have to deal with the Libby commutation, no matter how much of a tantrum you all throw....:badgrin:

again:

The people Clinton pardoned, who were sentenced to prison, served at least some time behind bars. Prior to being pardoned. In some cases, they served ALL their time in prison, or had otherwise paid their debt to society, and the pardon was merely to lift lifetime restrictions on employment and voting rights.

Libby will serve zero time behind bars.

And I don't want to hear Libby-defenders bring up Marc Rich. Libby was Marc Rich's attorney and recommended clinton give rich clemency.

So he was found guilty why? Let's not forget that the US attorney prosecuting the case was appointed by Bush as was the Judge hearing the case. Apparently, law and order isn't important when it is directed at the Bush administration.

It never is with these people. It doesn't matter that the law as correctly applied since King George doesn't give a damn what some Judge thinks about members of his government just like he doesn't give a damn what Congress, the American people or a jury thinks about his government. This is just another pathetic display of arrogance by these bastards and the bastards who support and vote for them. Now I say to each Duke and Duchess who voted for Bush: "go to hell assholes!"

wrong. She was covert.

Libby was convicted of Three felonies, by a jury of his peers, and sentenced by a Judge appointed by President Bush himself, i.e., a Republican judge.

These idiots have been watching to much James Bond and think of covert agents in a cloak and dagger mentality. Valarie Plame by the mere fact she worked in a covert capacity at the CIA was protected under the law. Her identity as a COVERT AGENT was classified while her identity as a CIA agent was not classified. This isn't a hard concept to understand but they don't want to grasp the simple fact that being covert does not mean that you are running around in the middle of the night and crawling through back alleys being chased by a bunch of Russians spies. Instead, being covert includes actual desk jobs which are covert. Valarie Plame role at the CIA was a covert role where she was responsible for covert tasks relating to counter-proliferation and Iraq. The moment her identity as a covert agent was made known she lost the protection of her non-covert cover. Everyone in the world including terrorists learned not only her identity as a CIA agent but her role as a covert agent for the CIA where she was responsible in areas where terrorists would kill people over. Now, you can discuss this with these idiots until you are blue in the face but anyone who would say that someone who worked for a directorate of the CIA now known as the National Clandestine Service (NCS) isn't a covert agent is an idiot.

HA! That sure shoves it up some witch hunting liberal asses.

You're gloating that a man convicted of three felonies, and sentenced by a Republican judge, got his sentence commuted, and won't serve a day in jail?

Yeah, your a partisan hack. Nobody gloated over any clinton pardon.

I trust our President implicitly to do the right thing on every issue. He is a very gifted and wise leader and thank God we have him in the White House.

Forum List

Back